1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you religious?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IrishLad93, Sep 8, 2012.

1. IrishLad93

Hey,

Ive been coming across quite a few people on here that seem to hold religious views which I believe to be very contradictory to being an LGBT(QRXWYZ?) individual. And I really just want to know why.

I hold very strong opinions on the evils of religion, I'll be blatant.

Ive consumed my self in the writings from authors like Christopher Hitchens and the like, which really explain the cynicism's of this 'all mighty book'. It belittles women and minorities, and completely diminishes homosexuals in every sense.

To me and many others, religion fuels hatred, stupidity and closed mindedness. Its stops people for achieving what they were meant to achieve by being given such a powerful mind through the evolutionary process; the ability of reasoning, individuality, and self-thought.

Most of all I find it insulting, all religions, Christianity, Islam and Nazism (yes, nothing more than a religious cult!) We only got to where we are today by breaking away from the evil empire that once was, and still seems to be, in peoples common lives.

_________________________________________________________________________________

And also, being a first hand witness, and victim to the violence religion causes has really opened my eyes.

Growing up in a country (Northern Ireland), witnessing bomb scares, people running for their lives, women distraught over their babies being caught in a police firing zone due to IRA terrorists and petrol bombs being thrown into families houses, cars and schools?

And for what? Because somehow being Protestant is more superior than being Catholic or vice versa. To me its all just so silly.

#1 IrishLad93, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  2. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R66r_XMoDkk[/YOUTUBE]

3. Ianthe

Being gay has no bearing on whether someone will be religious, except that some religions discriminate against gay people. There are other religions that don't. So, what exactly is it about being religious that you think is incompatible with being LGBT?

4. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not at all and I love it.

5. IrishLad93

No, factually it does not. But historically and now, it does.

Why do you think Bible thumping Conservatives in every country back up their hate of homosexuality with the use of Christianity?

They've evolved it into something that suits them best, which is what it was constituted of in the first place.

A means to appease their unacceptable hateful views!

#5 IrishLad93, Sep 8, 2012
  6. SkyDiver

This video sums up my exact feelings.

[YOUTUBE]1IAhDGYlpqY[/YOUTUBE]

7. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I am not religious at all really, I have a vague scientific pantheist philosophy, but that isn't really a religion.

On the subject of religion and LGBT, Christianity and Islam are the twin cores for worldwide homophobia today. Homosexuality was tolerated in Rome before they became Christian. The influence of Islam in China and India destroyed the once-tolerant-towards-homosexuality cultures there. The rise of Islam and Christianity in the Americas and Africa wrecked many native cultures and religions that had no problems with homosexuality.

8. IrishLad93

Very true

9. Bradley James

Religion isn't the problem. It's the people practicing the religion that are the problem. You cannot shift blame from the individual to the insitution to prove a point. At no point in the Bible does it explicitly ban homosexuality- it isn't even mentioned. Therefore it is the interpretation by certain people that are homophobic, and therein the blame lies- the individual, not the institution.

I am a recent born-again aetheist. I was religious up until a few months ago. I left the Church because I couldn't handle being around such closed-minded people (who were in a minority, but they were a powerful minority).

10. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Religion is very destructive and stifling to the individuality of all human beings, not just LGBTQ people. So to answer your question, no, of course not, although I was raised Catholic.

11. jsmurf

I'm Jewish, and go to services weekly at an Orthodox synagogue. Yeah, it can feel pretty conflicting at times.. But it's my choice.. My parents aren't that religious at all.

:/

12. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Though I am an atheist, I don't think religion is completely destructive. It does have (few) some positives.

13. jsmurf

The Torah being not exactly the most sympathetic religious text in regards to condoning same-sex relations.

Honestly, I think it's easier to be a gay Christian than a gay Jew in terms of being able to rationalize your orientation with your religious scriptures. (but not in day-to-day life however) I dont want to be a Christian, but I understand how in the New Testament there are barely if any references to homosexuality, and none at all by Jesus.

14. IrishLad93

Its easier to be a gay human. Religion is completely man made and theres no need for it what so ever.

Religion is the problem as it was people practicing this so called religion who created it for their own personal benefits of power! The 'institution' has caused wars and slaughter resulting in the deaths of millions throughout human history.

I have read the bible and some of the things in it are preposterous!
    I have the right to murder my daughter if she chooses sex before marriage?
    Zombies of saints walked the streets of the holy city after the rise of Jesus?

WHAT!

Who in their right mind can believe this nonsensical obviously fictionalized jibber jabber.
    It really does surprise me.

15. Waterlilly

Why? Religion can be beautiful. It can be a motivation to lead a good life and help others. It can be a supporting community. Yeah religion is often related to homophobia, but it does not require it, so it is possible to be gay and religious. Some people take their religion to mean they need to be intolerant of others and unfortunately those are the people who make the news. There are lots of people though who's religion leads them to help others and make the world a better and more accepting place.
    As for the bible, there is very little in there that actually mentions homosexuality (I think it's just the one verse). Open it to any random place though and you will read of horrible rules about all sorts of things that nobody these days would ever suggest we should follow. For example, the bible says that if a woman is raped and she fails to cry out then she should be stoned. When it comes to the bible, even the strictest believers pick and choose. Don't blame religion in general or the bible. People who use religion as an excuse for intolerance do have a choice.

16. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

What positives does religion have? And do they outweigh the terrible negatives?

17. castle walls

I've noticed that threads similar to this one have been started quite a bit in the last year. Off the top of my head there is
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/chit-chat/66291-poll;-whats-your-religion.html
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/chit-chat/59737-what-do-you-guys-think-religion.html
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/chit-chat/55830-religion-among-lgbt-people.html

The first link is fairly recent. From what I've noticed, roughly half (maybe slightly more) of those on EC that respond to these threads are either an Atheist or Agnostic. The other half are religious with Christianity being the most popular

18. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I think it says more when someone leads a good life for its own sake, rather than someone living a good life just out of a selfish fear of punishment and spending eternity being tortured in Hell.

Also, there is a pretty big gap between what religion considers a "good life" and an actual good life. Many religious people have throughout the centuries engaged in very bad lives. The worst part is that religion even makes otherwise good, well-intentioned people do bad things. The parent that sincerely believes that God hates homosexuality as a sin, and that his gay kid will go to Hell if he doesn't change, will think he is doing a good deed by sending the kid off to psychologically damaging "ex-gay therapy"

19. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think I said that religion's positives outweigh its negatives.

But religion and churches have created soup kitchen's, founded universities (I currently attend a Catholic one, and it's just like any other university), and hospitals. You could argue that those things can be founded without religion. But they were still founded by religious institutions and that should be commended.

20. IrishLad93

Exactly, I completely agree.
    We hold morals as human beings, we do not need to be to told what is good and what is wrong.
    Why do you need a religion to help you do good in the world. To me thats a bit of a let down on ones own generosity. You should be able and wanting to help others without the need of religion.

I blame the situation as a whole. I blame the hatred that the bible breeds and I blame the self righteousness that it gives to people who believe there actions to be reinforced by divine power. I blame the people that so easily just accept something so obviously false while not inquiring into the world around us and the amazements of the universe, the planets, space and even our own intelligent minds!

Of course who am I too say how this was all created. But i find its VERY HIGHLY unlikely that a bipedal human like divine power sat in the clouds and figured out every possibility from metamorphic physics to the individual atoms and cells that create everything around us.
    To me this view is selfish, why are humans so important so that we are the sole focus of a god and the billions of expanses of lightyears are to be just simply ignored?

Again, It's silly.

I blame the dogma that is produced solely by people and nothing else! I keep hearing as though people and the bible are separate?!

It was people, not just people, old crusty MEN, who wrote the bible!!!!!!!!

_________________________________________________________________________________

I dont mean to upset anyone or their personal beliefs but I feel as if too many people too easily cling onto the idea of religion without really understanding the core definitive principles that religion portrays.

#20 IrishLad93, Sep 8, 2012