1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Visiting countries with anti-lgbt laws

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Iamthewalrus, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Iamthewalrus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi all, this is something that has been on my mind for a few weeks so I thought I'd seek out a few other opinions on the topic. To what extent would you be put off visiting a country either without specific lgbt rights or with anti-lgbt laws? Obviously i'm aware that some people on here may be from a country where lgbt rights are not upheld and it's not my intention to offend anyone I'm just curious as to how much this would factor into the decision making of others. I've got a pretty big decision to make at the moment which hinges on whether my attitude is reasonable or not and I don't really want to make a big long post about it when really this might help more.

2. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Do you have any specific countries in mind?

3. i know i want to travel outside the uk next year and i know if i wanted to visit a country that being gay was illegal in and/or you could get killed for being gay then i wouldnt visit.

idk i just have this fear that people would take one look at me and go 'yep shes gay shoot her' sooo. idk. its just pretty scary, visiting a place and then knowing i could get killed for it.... i wouldnt go personally, just for my own safety plus i travel alone so that prob makes me do things extra careful lol.

my life would be more valuable than visiting a country ive always wanted to visit be it for work purposes or leisure.

i know that above prob wouldnt happen anyway im just petrified in my own country of people thinking im gay and getting hate for it, let alone go to a country where its illegal lol.

dont mean to offend anyone and what i described prob doesnt happen like that, but idk... im not clued up on the matter of laws outside my country sooo. no offence! D:

but in short yes the laws in countrys do have a big part in whether i go or not, if i didnt travel alone then it would prob be a diff story though.

4. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Almost every country has anti-LGBT laws/. This includes the USA.

5. Iamthewalrus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Fair point, but I think there are different levels of this. For example, where I'm from I couldn't legally marry my boyfriend, so the laws there aren't entirely lgbt friendly. However we could live quite happily there as a gay couple aside from that so I wouldn't be at all concerned about going back there. There are some countries which seem to be neutral on the subject, so i'd naturally be inclined to be concerned about that and would want to research further. Then there are the countries where you can be jailed or killed because of your sexuality, the country I may have to visit falls under this category. It seems like most of the people I speak to are of the "don't let your sexuality stop you from travelling/doing your job" but I don't know if I can accept that view.

6. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    On the other hand, North Korea is very pro-gay despite the awful reputation it gets. They even allow gays to marry.

But of course you don't have that freedom in a place like the US.

All that aside, why would you even risk going to one of those severely anti-LGBTQ countries? I don't get it.

#6 AtheistWorld, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  7. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    No, North Korea doesn't allow same-sex marriage, as. North Korea has managed to uniquely blend theocracy, fascism, communism, and monarchy to create the most evil and oppressive political system in the world.

8. starfish

[​IMG]

9. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I would advise against visiting anti-LGBT law countries. Most of them don't care that you're not a native.
    Also the claim that almost all countries have anti-LGBT laws is a bit exxegarated. There are 12 countries for example that have same-sex marriage.

10. EllieSong

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'd say that when you go somewhere, you google or something a bit, there are people who can tell you or had a same question. Anyhow, Slovenia for example is not really anti-lgbt but i do not know how safe it is to really show it. I know there was some violence and everything.

I would probably go to countries if I really really wanted to see a country. but right now I have no wish to see any of those countries, so I am not really sure :slight_smile:.

11. Night Rain

I understand your need to bash the US, but you do realize that many people know in some states in the US, people can have same-sex marriage, right? And the info concerning North Korea cannot be more wrong.

12. MusicIsLife

I wouldn't even risk it. All of my friends talk about going on holiday in Jamaica, where people get killed for being gay, why would I risk my life for a bit of sun? I'd rather try safer places.

I don't know if this is true, but I've heard that Iran isn't against gays per se, but if they find out that you are, you are forced to have SRS, paid for by the government.

13. Pain

Pain Guest

I brought this up in another thread that I started a long time ago. According to the wikipedia article on LGBT Rights and Iran, corporal punishment and imprisonment are the most common punishments, but human rights groups say that executions are carried out.
    It doesn't seem that the government pays for SRS, but the article says that LGB people are pressured to have the operation.

14. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I want to travel the world. If some of those countries are very anti LGBT, well.. It's not like I'm going to be wearing a big billboard that says "GAY AND PROUD" or anything.

Anybody who meets me always assumes I'm straight, so if I'm going to a country where being gay/bi is dangerous, I just won't tell anyone and I won't flaunt anything for a few days.

Of course, if I was to be in a serious relationship with a guy and we wanted to take a holiday together, it might be a little different. However, I can't really imagine going on a honeymoon/romantic holiday in an anti gay country, most of them aren't exactly popular tourist destinations as they have other problems too.

I doubt I'll be going to anywhere like Iraq. I don't know really. Are there any popular tourist destinations/idyllic holidays where being gay would cause a problem?

15. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i wouldn't recommend uganda

16. timo

I'd love to visit Dubai some day but their anti LGBT laws aren't really helping. Ah well, I've put on a straight face for almost all my life so far, another week won't hurt.

17. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

This summer I wore a rainbow bracelet walking around St. Petersburg, Russia, notorious for its recent law against "gay and bisexual propaganda".

I'd like to visit some Middle Eastern countries still, despite the homophobic laws.

18. gobadgers

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's more about the sentiment toward LGBT people than the actual laws oftentimes. I've been to Jamaica and Serbia and both are very, very anti-gay -- reports of gay guys getting lynched have come out of both countries, and I was frequently put in very uncomfortable situations when the topic came up among some of the natives on Jamaican beaches.

19. olides84

Are you worried about the safety aspect, or is it more the "I don't wanna spend money in a country that hates/kills people like me"?

In regards to safety, I've visited middle eastern countries, including Iran :eek: and also going to Zimbabwe soon which has a cartoonish anti-gay president. It's not like anyone is going to ever ask you your sexual orientation - you might get some "are you married?" from randoms though. Just answer no...not yet. That simple. You don't have to mention gender to anyone. So I'd say it's not anything to worry about unless you are wanting to meet/hook up with local gays, or you are going there with a boyfriend and you guys plan to do PDA in the street or something.

20. Yougoglencoco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well I went to Tunisia, a Muslim country where homosexuality is illegal, and the country has a big tourism sector and so the touristy area's are fine, I saw a gay couple on the coach and we didn't get obliterated with a missile by the military.
    I think if you're going to go somewhere where tourism is a big part of there income then you should be fine as long as you stay around the touristy area's and avoid PDA, but then if you're thinking about a trip to Saudi Arabia or somewhere similar then maybe you should reconsider...