1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cars

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IrishLad93, Sep 9, 2012.

1. IrishLad93

Anyone into Cars?

I wanted to see if anyone would prefer something like a small hatchback or a sedan like coupe.

I prefer to go with the hatchbacks as they're a bit sportier but Im debating! I own a VW Golf now and I love it but its nearly time to say goodbye :icon_sad:

Anyone else suggest a car they own or Love!? My friends aren't really into to them too much.

Just curious.

2. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ever since they came out in 2003, I've always loved the Toyota Matrix. It's a sporty hatchback, and all these years, I was dead set on getting that as my car when I was able to get one. This year for college, I moved off campus and had to get a car. So of course, I was completely insistent that I was getting a Matrix. My dad and I were searching craigslist listings and going to dealerships to look for used Matrixes. Time after time, I had appointments to see the car when someone bought it before I could get it to. I was so mad, but when I finally got to test drive one, I was unfortunately very disappointed. It just wasn't comfortable to drive, as much as I loved its exterior.

We looked into VW Jetta, Nissan Altima, Honda Accord (two-door coupe but looks like a sedan), Scion tC, and some others, and I finally ended up with a 2011 Toyota Corolla S (the sport model with a spoiler)...and I couldn't be happier! :icon_bigg It wasn't what I thought I wanted and I never considered a Corolla before, but I love my car!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I do like hatchbacks a lot, too, but it's not always about how they look. You really gotta test drive the ones you're looking at to determine whether you really like it. So don't be too sure on getting a hatchback. You may be pleasantly surprised by something totally different!

3. caughtbywitness

God no, if it works and takes me places, I really don't mind xD

4. IrishLad93

Yes very true!

I think thats what is so great about VW's, theyre so well built. Im mainly into European cars and all are very well built Besides Italian ones.

I really like the hatchbacks because they're the lightest design in a car you can get which makes them very speedy!

Ive seen the BMW 1 series which I really like in a coupe though.

My brother had a Scion TC and he basically bought it for the looks, drove terribly though. Like a tin can! It ended up needing an engine replacement and all sorts. :eusa_doh:

5. Tabb

I'm the kind of person who would buy the Pikachu car you might see at a random car dealer. I agree with caughtbywitness though: if it's reliable, I'll take it.

6. IrishLad93

Haha,

yeah this is what my friends back home are like!

---------- Post added 9th Sep 2012 at 04:12 PM ----------

Haha, ive seen these little mazdas on the road And the Fiat 500's now over here, very 'cute' cars, if cars can be cute!

:icon_bigg

7. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I almost bought a VW Jetta until my dad went and spoke to his mechanic. He ended up telling my dad to stay away from them because they had tons of electrical problems. I always thought VWs were very good cars, but after hearing the mechanic's concerns and reading online reviews, I saw that it was true that at least the Jetta models had a lot of problems. Sounds like your Golf treated you well though!

I also wanted the Matrix because the hatchback design gives you so much interior room once all the seats were folded down. In the Matrix, every single seat folds down all the way, including the passenger seat. It was good for moving stuff to and from college, and when I get a dog, it'll have plenty of space in my car. But too bad, I didn't like the way it drove or the way I sat in the driver's seat. My feet felt awkward on the pedals and I couldn't see the front hood well, so it was hard to gauge spacing between my car and what's in front of me.

I really liked the Scion tC. It looks really damn good haha. But I test drove one and it was kind of a disaster. It sits too low and basically hits the ground at the slightest bump. And it was hard to see my blind spots in the back because of the two door design. The back windows were like tiny triangles, and there was no visibility.

I hope you find a new car soon that fits you! :thumbsup:

8. Zach12345

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think a sporty four door sedan is like the prime car. But most are expensive so I won't own something I love for quite awhile.

9. timo

I love cars. I actually bought a new car last week, a Lancia Delta. Well, new car... it's 15 years old. Looks like this, only dark red. Should take some photos of mine soon. I love Italian cars, most of them look great and are fun to drive, even though they're unreliable as shit :grin:

As to what you should buy... Most cars you can buy in the States are so different from the ones we have in Europe so I have no clue what you can or can't get there. I didn't even know they sell Fiat 500s in the US! Apparently they're fun to drive too despite being super small.

10. Jared

I like cars, mainly European cars. My two favorites makes are Porsche and BMW. It seems to me that most Asian cars are pretty boring, and I'm just not a fan of American cars for some reason. I would love to have a Porsche 911 Carrera or a BMW M6, that would be awesome. An Italian car would be cool, but I hear they are unreliable, so I'll stick with German cars, except for VW, I know too many people that have had problems with those. I have a BMW 3 series sedan right now and I love it, though I wish repairs were cheaper.

11. IrishLad93

Yeah French cars aren't great either. So many Renaults break down and have major electrical problems as well as citroens, my friend went through both but I think Peugeot's revamped a bit because they seem to run quite well. Another one of my friends has a 206 and he's never had any problems.

I live in America but I go to Europe (UK) all the time as I was born there. I feel like Europe has such a bigger selection of cars to choose from because to me American cars are off limits, they suck, they're massively ginormous (even the sedans) and the mileage on them is beyond awful theyre also so ugly...they look like old peoples cars.

When I was back visiting I rented a Peugeot 107 as it was the cheapest and it was so tiny! Haha, although it ran really well and did have quite a kick to it for such a tiny little car, the mileage on it was 65mpg though! Thats amazing, you would never see that over here in the states and even though it was small you could fit a lot into as its a hatchback.

Yeah ever since GM & Chrysler were bailed out lots of European models have been brought over because they're finally getting a clue that people dont want to drive Oldsmobile's!
    Ford has brought over a few, Fiat's brought over the 500 and there debating on weather to bring over any alfa romeo models.

A friend of mine has the fiat grande Punto and its a pretty good car. Runs well and has some pep.

---------- Post added 9th Sep 2012 at 07:55 PM ----------

Yeah German cars are great.

My Dad owns a BMW M6, its a machine. Absolutely amazing car, its got a V12 engine!!!

Im not a fan of american cars because theyre literally made of plastic, I see that quite often with Asian brands too.

German cars are solidly built. They are built from good solid materials. Just down to things like shutting the door you get a solid 'thump' and not a wobbling metal twang!

Ive never heard of problems with VW, thats weird.. Maybe the older models? Because VW actually owns Porsche, Audi, Lamborghini, Seat, Bentley's and even Bugattis!

They're all made from VW manufacturing plants. All ive heard is that theyre very good cars (from experience) and because they make the best cars in the world.

Mini Coopers are great too because BMW makes them.

12. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a 99.5(same as 00-05) VW Jetta and it was the worst car I've ever owned(and it will probably beat out any future car for that spot, lol). It had soooo many problems it was really ridiculous. The overall quality was super cheap and flimsy. I'd never own a VW or Audi in the future. :eusa_naug

13. IrishLad93

Really!?
    Haha thats funny in a sense because I never knew VW's had problems.
    Id definitely agree to stay away from cars that you've had bad experiences with, be it a Lemon or not!
    A friend of mine owned a certain model of Renault and decided about 8 years later to try again but ran into the same problems!

Ive actually found an interesting article on VDubs from 1995 to 2004. They underwent major 'updating' in their cars with the technology craze of automatic windows and PVC sensor vaults, they claim a reason for the numerous problems many people ran into.

But I am bored with my Golf even though I love it. Really considering BMW or possibly the scirocco.

#13 IrishLad93, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  14. mojoe

I love cars. I'm a technician! Well in one sense of the word I am. I was trained as a technician at a well renowned college. I didn't like the way the last place I worked at was run so i took my tools home believing I could work for myself. Yeah, a lot harder than I thought. Either way I am happier because of it.

My absolute favorite car would have to be a 1937 Chevy Master Deluxe business coupe. Behind that, late '60s Olds 442. Then ''67 to '72 Chevy trucks. Guess I'm sorta old fashioned.

Actually I am practically in love with the Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4 SV. Absolutely stunning piece of machinery. I think the newer BMW M5s are probably the most pristine example of exactly what I think a car should be. The Mercedes SLK 65 AMG Black is also a good example of pure automotive perfection. Sadly bittersweet however, as I will probably never get to even so much as drive any of those.

As far as current quality at a reasonable price, I am partial to subarus. Consistent quality has been regular for them for many years now. For something larger, I really like the New ford Taurus. As a company, they have made quite a few positive changes to quality. For something more heavy duty, I feel both Ford and GM have always, and will continue to produce the best pickup trucks money can buy. It has gone back and forth between the two over the years, but as of 2012, they have both built solid trucks.

15. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Every album except Door to Door. Their first one was an absolute classic, and their reunion album was far better than anyone had any right to hope.

[youtube]tyXq0m_PnCw[/youtube]

...oh, actual cars? Um, nope. Never really been into those. :0

Lex

16. Romi

Oh, Lex....you just made my night.

Let's see. When it comes to my love and appreciation of cars...I have to admit most of it lies within the out of reach realm, as in...the cars I'd never be able to afford. Luxury and racing. Unf. I'm talking Lambos and Astons, baby.

But realistically speaking...I have a thing for Jeeps. I might not be able to talk makes and models of most vehicles, but you wanna talk Jeep...let's do it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And then of course there's the classics.

17. IrishLad93

Haha

I think I would think on the same lines!

I know, wouldn't a Lambo be nice. Ill be expecting one to be left in my driveway...one day (fingers crossed)

Theres actually one american car I like! I think the Rubicon Wranglers are nice, I like those alot. They look like theyd be really fun to drive aswell.

Yeah classic cars are beautiful. The quality of them is amazing.

---------- Post added 10th Sep 2012 at 12:49 AM ----------

:lol:

#17 IrishLad93, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  18. Romi

Whoever leaves you a Lambo in your driveway better not forget to stop by my house! I'll be expecting something. I mean....there are choices.. do I want the yellow Diablo, the steel violet Gallardo, the burnt orange Aventador. Then of course there's the Murci and the Rev. Ah...my life...And let's not even start on Astons.

As for a Jeep. I'd be happy with an X or a JK. Mmm...my first car love ever was a yellow YJ with a soft top. And how funny is it that the guy I "broke up" with not too long ago...has an orange one. Oh life.

19. IrishLad93

Haha, I know, I wish.
    Yes so many options in the world of fantasy.

Maybe when it comes to men your sub-conciously attracted to Jeep driving ones!?

20. jsmurf

Went to a local antique car show yesterday, actually. It was pretty cool.