1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay guys in fraternities?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gobadgers, Sep 9, 2012.

1. gobadgers

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Any gay guys out there who were in fraternities, while out or while in the closet? Funny the kind of shit that can happen when you mix cute straight guys and college-level drinking, haha.

Message me if you want to chat privately.

2. jsmurf

I was in a Jewish fraternity my first year in University. If anything, it postponed my self-acceptance by several years because of all the rabid homophobic slurs and jokes I heard overhead...

Granted, there was one openly gay guy in the frat, and he went on to become the president of the local chapter the year after I dropped out (and the composition of the group suddenly became less homophobic from what I heard)

3. gobadgers

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Of note related to this, from the University of Michigan: Gay and Greek: The experience of being gay and in a fraternity - The Michigan Daily

I was in a smaller house. Not really homophobic, a pretty liberal campus with chill guys -- definitely a "fag" or "that's gay" thrown out by some of the younger guys, but that was rare.

Honestly I think it helped me start to come out. My biggest fear was that I wasn't going to have enough close friends at the end of it, but it helped me live with a great group of guys, all of whom I still stay in contact with.

There were three other gay guys in the house -- two were in the closet until after graduation, the other came out in a chapter meeting in front of 45 of us and 2 advisers. Talk about having balls.

Definitely some bicurious dudes in the house, the benefits of which I did at various points reap lol.

Fraternities are kind of a gay proposition to begin with. "Hey, let's have old rich dudes buy a really bomb-ass house on a lake so all of us dudes can live there and then let's pool our money together to buy a ton of fucking booze and drugs and get shitbombed"

Really sounds like some apartments and condos I've been in off Halsted in Chicago :lol:

4. jsmurf

Fraternities ARE kind of "gay" if you think about it... What is more gay after all, than a bunch of college guys getting drunk together and talking the talk about women, while mostly throwing in penis/cock jokes about each other?

---------- Post added 9th Sep 2012 at 10:43 PM ----------

:lol:

5. gobadgers

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    hahaha. Really man it's a lot more than that, at least in fraternities that take seriously the ideas of friendship and brotherhood.

Brotherhood is about getting to know somebody in a really intimate way, in a way that you really can only get to know somebody if you live with them. You learn how they think, what makes them tick, etc. Probably 25 of my closest friends are alumni or active members of that house -- 25 people I know in that manner, who would stick their neck out for me, whose couch I can crash on, etc.

Sucks you had a bad experience with it, and I know their are frats like that out there (particularly in the South). But if they pick the right house I really think it can be beneficial to both closeted and out gay guys.

6. dreamcatcher

There's a gay/bisexual male fraternity at my college.

7. elitechris

A lot of my co-workers in college are in frats and most of them are openly our. Some are in academic frats while others are in the gay frat. The parties do get pretty crazy after a couple of kegs!

8. FJ Cruiser

My university is quite open-minded, but one of the narrow-minded holdouts is that many of the frat guys are spoiled douchebags who have never encountered diversity, so they remain fairly bigoted. There are a few frat guys that are pretty cool also, and I've heard of a couple of guys that have come out and were welcomed by their frat. That said, you probably wouldn't get a bid if you were openly gay from the beginning. My roommate is in one (one of the few that isn't completely douchey), and he's said that there are several guys in his that also have gay roommates and are totally cool with it.

Overall, it's a subculture I want nothing to do with, and I'll just leave it at that before I get off on a rant.

9. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I've never been in one, but I was asked to pledge last year and a guy I was briefly seeing was an alumni of the fraternity on my campus. Everyone I've ever met from it have been super awesome people, but then again, greek life isn't that big of a deal here. It appealed to me for maybe a second. I passed on it.

10. gobadgers

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  11. fatalmoon91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was...am...i don't really know my "going back to school" status atm. but when i first joined i was in the closet still and a year later i came out to the girl who quickly became one of my bestfriends...though i don't know if it counts as a legit fraternity in some peoples eyes because its co-ed. still made out with a few really cute straight guys from it though.

12. Pain

Pain Guest

There are a couple fraternities for gay, bi, and progressive men, and several others that are perfectly inclusive, at least on my campus. I'm sure most Honorary fraternities would have no problem, and a few socials. I don't so much understand socials, though...