1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are transvestites cool?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SFSorrow, Sep 10, 2012.

1. SFSorrow

An observation I've made recently, twice in the past week, and I've noticed it before too, that when the media are discussing the 'crazy' mix of random people that turn up at amazing, happening parties, transvestites seem to be mentioned quite often.

I quite like the fact that in certain social circles crossdressing seems to automatically make you cool.

2. Aielar

Recently, a new transvestite (I'm pretty sure they are, haven't actually asked them or anything) has shown up in my town and I think that's pretty cool. I've talked to him/her (not sure how they identify) several times already since they walk by my house every now and then. Idk, I think it's cool :slight_smile:

3. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Transvestites are hot when they're androgynous and convincing. That and they do seem to know how to party.

4. FJ Cruiser

Honestly, being on this site has really made me be comfortable with transgender people (not that I was uncomfortable before per se). Whenever I see someone who's perhaps a bit ambiguous whenever I'm out and about, I think about the courage it takes to just be themselves, how it's cool that you can get to know them without having to see them through a gender filter.

5. blightedsight

Eddie Izzard is a transvestite - Eddie Izzard is the epitome of cool.
    The whole transvestite race are cool because the shine from him is so great, how could they not be?

6. Kidd

Kidd Guest

7. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    cool transvestites are cool. Uncool transvestites are uncool. Some people can make anything cool.

8. Veronica

The main problem I have with transvesitites/crossdressers is that people too often don't know the difference between them and transsexuals like myself. That's of course not the TVs/CDs fault. I know a few on Twitter, and they're great people.

9. J Snow

Crossdressers are as cool as anybody else, and as uncool as anybody. As is generally the case with any demographic of individuals.

10. Ianthe

I think the OP is asking more about whether crossdressing is currently fashionable than about whether "transvestites" are awesome people. It's a question about what is "in," not about whether being a transvestite is inherently good or acceptable.

I don't know what is fashionable because I don't care and don't pay attention to that, really.

11. HelmetBoi

I have to admit I've never really considered them to be cool in much the same way as I've never thought of many other groups as cool. Probably because, well, I've just never thought about them. From my personal viewpoint cross dressing has never interested me in the slightest but I'm big into people being who they are, from that I have great respect for anyone who can comfortably be themselves. That, in itself, is cool. So actually yeah, I guess they are cool!

And there we have it, a brief and possibly mildly confusing insight into my thought process. :lol:

12. Pexetta

Yes. One of the things that puts me off being more out is that people might assume I was indulging a hobby or getting off on a fetish, rather than trying to be more like me. Projection perhaps, and I'm being hypocritical here as I hang out on at least 3 crossdressing forums.

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, it is cool.

14. Zontar

15. aeva

Haha, I couldn't agree more. My dad and I saw him at Madison Square Gardens a few years ago (we're both Brits, living in New York)...utterly amazing. We're both obsessed with him.

As for the original question- I think it depends who you are, and where you live. There are definitely people and places that look down upon being even slightly different, as we are all well aware. I think some people probably act like they thing being trans* is 'cool', because they want it to reflect well on them, they want people to think they're so edgy and out-of-the-box. I think the same thing is often true with 'bar-sexuals' (the girls that claim to be bi are really just doing it for attention).

Nobody is inherently cool because of what label has been assigned to them (by themselves or by others)...it's all about how they interact with the world around them.

The people that are legitimately welcoming, accepting, and interested in hearing other people's stories, especially when they differ from their own? THOSE are the real 'cool people' in my book.

16. Emberstone

no group is cool, but a group can have cool people in them.

17. People seem to be giving their own opinions on transvestites, but I think you're more looking to discuss crossdressing in the media or certain social groups, and how it seems to be trendy. At least, that's what I'm interpreting. Is that correct?

I can't really say what is or isn't fashionable now, because honestly, I don't care. But when you think about it, androgyny has been stylish since the 70s. David Bowie, Freddie Mercury, Mick Jagger, Steven Tyler, Michael Jackson, Prince? All were famous, but were either andro or crossdressed. There was basically a whole genre of music dedicated to pretty men called glam rock. Then, there's a bunch of well-known movies like Some Like It Hot, Tootsie, Mrs. Doubtfire, etc. where the main characters crossdress. Like with entertainers, gender bending films always seem to be a thing. The reasons why sometimes aren't that positive; a lot of people just think it's something fun(ny) to laugh at, and they're not laughing with them. It's not the case all the time, but it happens often.

Anyway, I'm not sure how I feel about how crossdressing seems to automatically make a person cool in certain social circles, I personally base a person's coolness factor on more than one attribute. Whether it does or not though, the unfortunate truth is that it rarely extends into real life. If you're a celebrity and crossdress, it could actually enhance your career, but if a regular dude goes out in public in a dress, he's most likely just going to be met with a bunch of disgusted stares. Gotta love the double standard.

As for how I feel about crossdressing if anyone's interested, it's a total turn on if it's on a guy I like.

18. SFSorrow

Yes, this was more what I was interested in, the way that it's portrayed in the media but other comments are interesting too. It seems to be not just a recently fashionable thing either as it goes back to Andy Warhol's Factory at least. I find it interesting that it almost seems that it's journalistic shorthand for a crazy party. On the other hand it could be negative if they're taking the 'normal' person's outsider viewpoint and saying 'look at all the freaks and weirdos that come out to play', but usually it seems not.

In my own limited experience so far I've usually been met with appreciative people but I'm careful not to be anywhere potentially dangerous and been with friends.

Basically I want to go to these kinds of parties and want to know if I've got a free ticket by virtue of being a crossdresser :icon_wink

I would say more and probably will when I can get access to a computer, I hate typing on my phone but it's my only choice for over a week.

---------- Post added 11th Sep 2012 at 09:46 AM ----------

PS Don't forget the New York Dolls when talking about 70s genderbenders. And, slightly more obscure, there's Jobriath and Wayne/Jayne County that I know of. And in the 80s there was the New Romantics, and not forgetting Annie Lennox and Grace Jones (both of whom I've been told I look like when I'm xdressed up). And then of course there's goths who also play with gender. Messing with gender seemed less prevalent in the 90s, off the top of my head I can only really think of Placebo.

I'm pretty interested in this kind of social and musical history in case you haven't guessed.

---------- Post added 11th Sep 2012 at 09:53 AM ----------

I think there's definitely an element of wanting to be seen as edgy. And I'd entirely agree that nobody is inherently cool, but I'm interested in how we're (still feels a little odd to think of myself as 'one of them':icon_bigg) perceived.

19. SFSorrow

Just come across another example of this meme:

The Quietus | News | LIVE REPORT: Savages Blast Electrowerkz

"There are many reasons to love Savages, and one of them - their appeal to the vaguely outre fops of every stripe – is apparent before one has even stepped through the door of Electrowerkz. There's a seven foot tranny having a smoke and a chat as a cheeky chap with a sniffy nose pokes his head around the corner asking "'ere mate, who do I show the ticket to?""

I really wanted to go to this gig, but couldn't because it sold out before I could get a ticket.

20. mansonsgirl27

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I love trannies :slight_smile: They're so nice and fun :slight_smile: