1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone wish they could relive high school and college with what they know now?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jsmurf, Sep 10, 2012.

1. jsmurf

I sure do... My biggest bone now is that I was so reprehensibly shy and antisocial in high school, and closeted in college. And academically I'd have thrown my passion for humanities aside and would've concentrated chiefly on gaining an appreciable acumen in science and technology.

2. Bree

Re: Does anyone wish they could relive high school and college with what they know no

I wish I could redo high school with the confidence and social skills I have now. I always wish I was a bit older, looking back at every experience I've ever had.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: Does anyone wish they could relive high school and college with what they know no

I can't say anything for college (because I'm still in it)..

I wish that I could go back to high school knowing what I know now. I think it would've made some of my high school years much less painful. It also would've helped the summer before I started college go a bit smoother. I wouldn't have had as many problems with my homophobic church. (I was not too far into it when I was a freshman in high school).

4. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

That's exactly how I feel. I was very quiet in high school and struggled with social anxiety and depression and basically hated every day of it.

Then I wasted away my time in college, too immature and not really knowing what I was doing there until suddenly it was over and I was dumped into the real world with tons of debt and a worthless liberal arts degree. And of course I was closeted during the entire time too.

I am constantly regretting things that have happened in the past; sometimes I wish I could go back to change things from just a few months ago, sometimes I wish I could go back a year, sometimes I wish I could re-do college or even high school, sometimes I even wish I could just restart my whole life...unfortunately, none of these are options. I have to purge these thoughts from my mind or they will just eat away at me and make me miserable and suicidal. We have to look to the future.

But I feel like I am just so old now, and a failure. It sucks.

5. jsmurf

Crazy... Everything you said rings true to for me.. To a nail. Where is our time machine? :confused:

6. Markio

Aw man, I would have joined the choir my freshman year of high school instead of my senior year. I would have just come out right away and not cared about people suspecting I might be gay. I would have taken more chances in my high school's theatre department. I would have done all my homework. I would have gone to more open mic poetry nights with my friends. I would have taken a studio art class, not just drama classes. I would have gotten my driver's permit when I was fifteen. I would have stood up for myself when those people were being mean to me or to those seagulls and have said something instead of just walking away or getting into a sudden fight. I would have articulated why I thought the teacher was wasting our class period instead of just kind of yelling. I would have passed that history class the first time around. This is just high school.

In college? I would have joined the choir my freshman year. I would have joined that improv group, or else started one myself. I would have gotten a job my freshman year. I would have come out to my freshman roommates and just moved if it turned out to be a problem. I would have been more assertive with roommate conflicts. I would have cared less about what other people thought about me. I would have avoided becoming close friends with that girl. I would have gone to counseling earlier. I would have made more friends my own age. I would have been less defensive around new people. I would have pursued gay people I thought were attractive, even if it likely meant being turned down. I would have not taken it personally if I was turned down. I would have at least rushed a fraternity my freshman year (probably wouldn't have joined, but at least I would have met people).

Bottom line: If I had known how to feel better about myself, I would have been more confident and willing to try new things.

7. Ianthe

I wish I had known then what I know now. But I wouldn't want to relive my parents divorce or the deaths of three of my grandparents. So I guess not.

8. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

If the question is high school AND college, then probably not. As good of a time as I had (probably more so in college than high school, in all fairness), being more independent and taking care of myself now pretty much trumps. :slight_smile: If it was just college though...I might have to think about that one. :lol:

9. jsmurf

Everything in our life happens for a reason, right? Or that's if we believe in destiny.. A comforting thought..

10. Lewis

Definitely! I would go back a much more confident kid and wouldn't let anyone treat me how they did.

11. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

I would never want to relive high school unless I become masochistic or I can see loved ones before they die one last time.

I wish I could restart college with what I know now. I'd walk into to that LGBT center freshman year and I'd make sure to have more fun.

#11 midwestgirl89, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2012
  12. MichaelB

Well I've only been out of secondary school for a year, so maybe it'll change but..no.

I wouldn't change a thing. I'm a big believer of everything happens for a reason and experiences make you who you are. So to me this question is a little contradictary. You want to go back and change your experiences because of what you know now? What you know now is because of your past experiences? O.O :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

On the one hand: it is tempting. There's tons of things I can still vividly remember about highschool that now make me go "what the hell was I thinking?". Sometimes about choices, sometimes about one turn of phrase in one conversation, way back in 7th grade.

Even though I generally did enjoy highschool and college, there's still people I regret not befriending, or moments where I panicked and think I could have done better with a calmer, more adult outlook.

And I'm pretty sure things would have been massively different had I just accepted all of the gay feelings and not spent so much time trying to force myself straight.

On the other hand, it would come with some drawbacks. If I'm the only one to take my adult outlook back to highschool or college, I might have gotten frustrated being surrounded by so many people who didn't share such an outlook.

And there's also some kind of butterfly effect at work. Making different choices at several turns could mean my life would turn out massively different. Since I like my life now, I'm not going to regret the things I did back then, no matter what the wisdom of hindsight says.

14. BNQ2012

I would have absolutely done things differently if I knew what I know now. I would have done a better job selecting a major I could still live with but that lead to a stable, financially rewarding career. I would not have borrowed as much to finance my education. I would have realized that going to college is not so much about what you learn and very much about who you meet. In other words I would have spent more time networking and building useful friendships and connections.

I'm still torn on whether I would like to have realized and come out about my sexuality in high school or college. I think it would have made some things easier but others much harder.

15. Defiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

I'd like to, in a way, because I was really shy and pretty unkempt with my long hair! There were some nicer things about it - GCSEs were WAY easier than As/A2s... But other than a few nice people I met, high school was just full of attention seekers and a culture where learning is seen as a drag. This changed once I got to sixth form, as I think that the more you go up the education ladder, the more you filter those type of people out!

In the UK, by the way, the system goes: High school from ages 11 - 16, then sixth form 16 - 18. Sort of like the middle/high school system in the US but the other way round.

16. Mai Hasegawa

Oh, how I wish to relive high school with my actual looks, clothes and ID xD
    It really brings me down to see teenagers running around, as I feel trapped in the past - I never really got to live through what they are experiencing now. I never made any friends outside of my class and theatre club, and during the three years of studying I met them outside school maybe a couple of times. All my free time I spent in my room. Having no social life and no physical contact with other people can really mess with your head.
    I met wonderful and tolerant people at the university, but learning to communicate with them took me a lot of time. It's a huge change to go from being invisible to enter a circle of friends where you hug and talk and hang out. But even with all those people I still feel I wasted another years in a waiting room. Falling in love for the first time and not even being able to consider telling the guy is such a bummer :wink:
    Just a couple of weeks ago I finally had my name legally changed and I'm experiencing a bizarre feeling of freedom. I guess I'll never get back all the years I've been wasting on waiting.
    Don't even get me started on how useless my studies are ;D

17. Hiems

Yeah, I would like to relive high school. I would have trained for cross country and try to join the team as an upperclassman. Making an effort to be active in other clubs should have been something I did as well. Academically, I would have taken more AP and honors classes to get more credits. I only got 6 credits from AP courses, but they're both humanities gen. eds. Even if I took more difficult courses and didn't get more credit, a benefit would be that I broadened my knowledge /:

18. needshelp

most definitely. hell, i'll even go a step further and say junior high but you know what, i don't fault myself for not being ready though. it's not like i can't use what i learned from the mistakes in the past to better myself. that's why i'm on this site to begin with.

#18 needshelp, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  19. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people

YES. YES. YES.

While I'm not much better socially, if at all, at the moment, it would be great to relive those years with a clearer sense of self [mainly, that I like guys] as well as what I want to do [get into independent filmmaking.]

Looking back, it's like I was sleep walking, never looking ahead to the future after school, at least seriously. Didn't really start to develop [no pun intended] my interest in film 'til after high school or realize I was gay until after my two years of college. So, being able to go back with those in mind, I'd probably take more control of my life building a career plan, as well as a close circle of friends who I can actually connect and be open with.

20. silkfrog1292

I wouldn't want to "relive" my high school experience, but there are certainly things i would've done differently now that i looked back upon it.