1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who Here Likes/Dislikes 'YOLO'

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LeCartographe, Sep 10, 2012.

1. The energy of a 1000 suns is about half the anger I have for this stupid crappy 'slang' that now apparently EVERYONE and their dog uses. I don't understand WHY it's now gone to mean the exact OPPOSITE of what its original meaning was. :bang:

You Only Live ONCE. Not twice, thrice, fourfold, and you're not a cat. Just ONCE.

Please tell me I'm not alone on this. Live by accomplishing your dreams and being happy and never giving up. NOT doing stupid #!(@. :***: .

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate it... I'm totally with you on this one. That statement makes me cringe every time that I hear it...

It usually means some terrible thing is happening/going to happen.

3. darlig ulv

It's just carpe diem for stupid people.

4. Kat kanu

Hate it besides what if you become a zombie then you come back lol

5. Bree

I like the phrase "you only live once". To say YOLO is to ruin it. It just makes it sound so dumb.

6. Gen

Gen

Well I guess it would depend on the context. I personally dont use it, although I'm sure everyone who does isnt using it for illogical actions. I just saw a poster on here use it, and theirs was pointed towards a postive ideal so I wouldnt jump the gun on it.

7. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I could care less either way?

8. Eric

I wasn't going to post in this thread, but then I figured, what the heck, yolo.

I like it for what it is, and that's a silly expression that tries to validate stupid behaviour. :slight_smile:

9. gobadgers

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  10. Markio

Sure, I think it's dumb that people justify foolhardy behavior with catchphrases. Mainly I just think saying "yolo!" sounds aesthetically stupid. It's like making a heart with your hands to tell someone you love them: it is such a silly gesture that I cannot take it very seriously.

If you're encouraging someone to try something new, just say "you only live once." You don't have to shorten it to make a word that sounds like a character on a children's TV show.

11. [​IMG]

This is the ONLY time I will use "Yolo", hahaha.

12. Jared

I don't like it, it seems to me that most people use it to try to justify doing something stupid.

13. Bookmonster

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Basically, when people say YOLO... I pretend to pull out a gun and I say, 'sadly.'

14. FollowtheFreeman

I'm annoyed by it and what it has become, but in the end I couldn't care less. If you want to scream "YOLO" and jump off a cliff the go right ahead. I won't stop you.

15. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

It started as something good (the idea that you only live once), but as it does with so many things, popular culture has ruined it, and it has become something bro-douches and sorostitutes shout before making a terrible decision. I can't possibly like the acronym now.

I can't lie, the fact that that town exists is pretty spectacular. :lol:

16. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

I honestly can't hate YOLO. I mean, it's so stupid, I can't even take it seriously enough to DISLIKE it. Of course, the only times I've ever used it was when my brother and I were at the "douche bag circle" at the mall (basically the section where they stuck all the stores frequented by mainstreamers) and were mocking their slang obnoxiously in order to piss people off. The sad thing is, we ended up just fitting right in and my bro almost spent money on a hat that said "Fraterday".

ANYWAY, YOLO is on the same page as "swag" and "Rebecca Black"; I honestly just can't accept the fact that anyone takes it seriously, and therefore I can't really hate it. It's just a goofy sounding word said by morons and the people making fun of them.

#Yolo!

17. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
    -Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night
    :slight_smile:

18. Tabb

I really don't like it. Funnily enough, I use it jokingly a whole lot around my friends. Never seriously though. As others have said, it's a stupid excuse to do things that completely contradict what it means.

"Gettin' wasted! #Yolo!"

-.-

19. needshelp

that's someone's calling card to do something stupid. you'll never hear someone that has nothing to lose living like that.

yesterday, i saw someone elsewhere say when are people going to catch up with YODO. i agree. somehow people forget that they only have one life.

#19 needshelp, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  20. Pain

Pain Guest

I think Shakespeare once said "you only live twice." :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: