1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can You?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Thandrami, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Thandrami

Can you be out but still not completely accept yourself?

2. caughtbywitness

Yup, I think so, you just have to find that thing that's 'holding you back' from being yourself :slight_smile:

3. Fiddledeedee

Yes. In a way, a number of the people who come here are -- they are out to EC but still struggling with self-acceptance. It can also be a variable thing, as you can accept yourself, come out, and then not be self-accepting a while later; I had that recently, to an extent. I wouldn't recommend coming out whilst you're struggling internally about it, though, since you might regret it and if it goes badly then the consequences for you in yourself could be worse.

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Yep. I think we have more than a couple of people in that situation right now.

Coming out doesn't solve your problems automatically. So if you came out or were outed before you were mentally ready, then the scenario above is possible. There is also the fact that many people, me included, come out while sort-of but not really accepting ourselves or with a lot of internalized homophobia still. There you get the whole "I'm gay, but not like those gays" type of people.

5. redstormrising

i think so. when i first came out, i felt like my friends and family were actually more accepting of me than i was with myself. none of them had any problem with it, but i was still coming to terms with it

6. Bree

Yes. I am, because I don't really keep any secrets about myself- whatever's going on in my head comes out. I've even worn a binder around my mom when I'm not really mentally capable of discussing it with her, because I don't even understand it myself.

7. Thandrami

Well I am out to everyone (as of June) and Lately i just can't seem to be me. I want to be "gay" Everyone around me accepts me which is great but I just can't bring myself to act any different than I did before. I am trying to make more gay friends (put an ad on craigslist in the strictly platonic section for friends only) and while I have gotten lots of replies it just isn't the same.

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes. I would say I spend five years in that place.

9. redstormrising

why do you feel you need to act differently? just be yourself! there's no specific way you need to behave to be gay.