1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

polyamory and the lgbt community

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dreamcatcher, Sep 11, 2012.

1. dreamcatcher

Yesterday at my gsa, we had a sexuality panel where people of different sexualities (asexual, pan, bi, gay, etc) gathered together and spoke about their experiences. Two of the panel members up there were polyamorous. They were all supposed to represent all the sexualities of the lgbt community. I'm kind of confused as to why polyamory is being included in the lgbt community. They seem to be two different, unrelated things to me. Can anyone enlighten me?

2. jsmurf

Because bisexual men and women, and gay men supposedly have a knack for not being huge on committed monogamy... Which is total BS, but I guess that's how the hetero world often sees us.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't really get how that's included either. I mean, I think there should be conversations around polyamory, but I don't think that it's necessarily important that they be featured in queer spaces.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think less-than-enlightened people seem to stick any (to them) screwy thing they can't otherwise categories in our laps :slight_smile:

5. SkyDiver

Sounds like you're already completely enlightened. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: There really is no comparison.

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Polyamory isn't related in the sense that it has to do anything with sexuality or that we are fighting for it as a community politically wise, but since some LGBT people are polyamorous a lot of groups are starting to educate people about the topic.

I personally think its a great idea to educate people about the different possibilities for relationships that there are out there. It is still, sadly, a controversial topic for many people so a lot of LGBT organizations prefer to not touch the subject.

7. Ianthe

Were they straight and polyamorous, or were they queer? There is polyamory in the community, so as long as they are LGBT people who practice polyamory I think it makes sense for them to be represented.

---------- Post added 11th Sep 2012 at 07:25 PM ----------

Also, some of them apparently believe that being polyamorous is an innate characteristic.

8. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I honestly have no problem with polyamory or group marriage in general. I know that it is a frequent talking point of conservatives that legalizing gay marriage leads to polygamy and whatnot, but as long as all the members of the group are consenting (and it is an equal relationship, not the patriarch and his slave wives) then I do not see any real moral obligation that would render either polygamy, polyandry, group marriage, or the like wrong.

9. That's pretty much how I see it. In any venue where sexuality is being discussed, it's important for all forms to be represented. Just as there are polyamorous straight people, there are poly queer people. When you think about it, the whole alphabet soup or word "queer" don't have clear definitions, so people just tend to stick anyone who gets discriminated against/oppressed on the basis of their sexual orientation or gender identity into one community. If I were heterosexual, I might not even be on EC, to be perfectly honest. Trans people do share some of the same problems, but our struggles and goals are entirely different. I think the case is similar for poly and kinky people, etc. I have to wonder if it's actually harmful to these smaller groups in the long run, since their objectives might be clearer if they went solo. Anyway, that's slightly off topic.

10. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Polyamory is considered unacceptable among most of society. It is seen as a 'queer' behavior, in a sense.

11. Phantosmiac

*Tries to decipher word "polyamory"* LATIN SKILLS TO THE RESCUE. Well, poly means many, and amo (accent mark deleted) means love, so I come to the conclusion that they love multiple people at the same time. *Googles word* I was right! Latin and Greek are awesome :]

12. Mogget

Strictly speaking it should polyphilia or multiamory.

13. SkyDiver

Interesting. :eusa_eh:

14. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, you could look at the animal kingdom and say "this species is monogamous, this species is promiscuous" and construct an argument from biological determinism. I admit, it's not a weak argument either, considering the rates of divorce and infidelity that exist in our society, and the fact that our closest living relatives are some of the most promiscuous creatures on the planet.

It's not unlike the argument that homosexuality is biologically determined. Again, different rates in different species. Some species like giraffes and geese are predominantly homosexual with only incidental mating between opposite-sex pairs to sustain the species. Some species, like rams, show very similar percentages to humans, and some species are completely bisexual like bottlenose dolphins and bonobos.

15. dreamcatcher

Thanks for the responses everyone! I think what TheEdend and Electrolicious said makes a lot of sense and is probably why it was spoken about. I guess I'm just surprised at how much the lgbt alphabet keeps expanding. I didn't even realize asexuality was considered part of the lgbt community unless they were biromantic or something along those lines. But thanks again :slight_smile: