1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Fascinates You?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gen, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Gen

Gen

I've seen that we have a few posters on here who are interested/and or studying topics such as physics and international studies, which I thought was interesting because you really dont see people passionate about such topics these days. So, I thought it would be interesting to see what all of you guys are interested in. (This doesnt have to be something that you are actually studying, but any topic that interests you. I know we all have at least one of those subjects we would just love to know more about, even if it isnt an "official" study.)

Starting with me, I love pyschological and cognitive neurosciences. The conscious and unconscious reactions of the mind have always been a interest to me. It is probably why I am very analytical and often pick up on things about people before they get around to telling me. My prefered career is in writing, but I plan on still studying these topics just out of interest. Not to mention if I go far enough into it, I have various job oppertunities to fall back on.

So what are you guys interested in? It doesnt have to be academic, nor does it have to connect with what you are actually planning to do as a career. Just out of interest.

2. Mercy

Mercy Guest

alot of things do but the one things that always facinates me is hugs i know it sounds dumb but those hugs you get when your sad or just plain not your self then a random person or even stranger walks up to you and in that moment you feel so safe and loved aah hugs are the best

3. jsmurf

OMG, I agree! I LOVE hugging. (*hug*)

4. Jared

I'm fascinated with linguistics and languages, for some reason I find them incredibly interesting. I feel like you can learn a lot about a place's culture based on their language and the way they speak. I love anything computer related also, probably why I'm a computer science major.

---------- Post added 11th Sep 2012 at 06:03 PM ----------

Me too, I wish I got hugs more often :frowning2:

5. prism

The universe. Astronomy, space exploration, and space technologies. I'm thinking about pursuing a career in aerospace engineering, though it has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm studying now. Still trying to plan it all out.

As far as hobbies go, I used to be really into ceramics and designer plush toys. I don't really have the time or resources to do either anymore.

6. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kitchens fascinate me. And I'm pretty good at putting them together.

Words fascinate me. Everything about them excites me.

Food fascinates me. Nourishment is such a primal need within us all, but food can be everything from comforting to sexual (not as in spraying someone with hot chocolate, but rather giving them something that nurtures them from within.)

The human mind fascinates me. I like how everyone processes things slightly differently, and we all have a different perspective on everything.

Art of every kind fascinates me. As does laughter.

7. Mercy

Mercy Guest

Thats amasing

8. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think all these are really cool and/or interesting

Astronomy/Space Stuff
    Dreams/Dreaming
    The Weather
    Computers
    Electricity/Lights/etc

Actually does not sound dumb at all.. :sunglasses:

9. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Hm, let's see...

I'm studying math, and I'm fascinated enough by it to have stuck with it for three years (going on four). The ability to play around with ideas for their own sake and figure out systems has always fascinated me, and the deeper I get into the subject, the more electrifying it gets.

Social justice. I grew up in a very sheltered house, in the sense that I was never really exposed to the injustices that still exist in our world, to institutionalized prejudice, to privilege--the only glimpse I did get of those things were of cases of them that are so institutionalized that most people don't realize they're problematic. When I was exposed to the problems of sexism, racism, classism, etc. that still exist in our society, it gave me the motivation to learn more, to try to see our society for what it is and not the "everyone's equal, any existing inequalities are the fault of the people getting the short end of the stick" ideal we like to believe.

This probably could be stuck under social justice, but I'm also fascinated by sex (partly because all the sex I'm not having gives me a lot of time to think about it). I love talking/thinking about questions of consent, of how to make sure someone is comfortable, as well as questions of the role of sex in a relationship and in culture. Sadly, the only person I could really talk about those topics with was a part-time sex educator who used to go to my school, but she graduated. :frowning2:

Categorization. It's probably my systematizing nature, but I love putting things in categories and learning about systems of categorization and how extensive they can get. The areas that have seen the most action in this regard for me are orientation/gender labels and sub-genres of metal music. The latter is one I'm especially fascinated by; you get me talking about the distinction between one sub-genre of metal and another, or what makes a band this sub-genre and not that other one, or the difficulty of pinning down what defines some sub-genres when they're as all over the map as they are (an issue that affects metal music in its entirety), and I can go on and on.

Ditto!

Agreed! Looking at issues that are commonly debated and really trying to get into the minds of people on both sides of the debate really fascinates me, particularly when trying to get into the mind of someone I disagree with. I don't like to just dismiss people I disagree with as dumb or bad people; they have their reasons for thinking what they do, and I love trying to understand what those reasons are.

10. vyvance

Physics, Chemistry, Geology, Astronomy, Biology.... Basically anything having to do with the mechanics that make everything work. I want to know how everything in the Universe works, and why.

11. Tabb

Hellenism, fictional logic (stuff made up for books or tv shows), dreaming, thinking, what it would be like to control time, and human emotions. If I'm not sitting around wondering why my life sucks so much, I'm thinking about one of these things. xD

12. Robin

Literature and Writing. I'm a frequent writer and I love symbolism and meaning presented in novels. I'd love to write a book someday.

13. Waterlilly

Criminal law. I'm pre-law. I am also fascinated with developmental psychology and glitter glue right now. I tend to be really into things for a while and then find something new. I think I might simply be fascinated with discovering new things.

14. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Student and youth health and wellbeing.

15. Gen

Gen

Then I'm happy I'm not alone in this. I love studying the thinking processes and reactions of the mind and brain. Behavorial and Cognitive Neurosciences, Sociology, Pyschology, they all fascinate me. Though whenever I talk about this with people, everyone just looks at me like "what O_O?".

Same here. Anyone who knows me knows that I am extremely passionate about writing, and it is what I am/plan on working on as my career. But I think I've babbled enough about my writing before :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

16. Mike45

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Philosophy, psychology, human nature, critical thinking, physics, they are all very fascinating to me. Sometimes I fell like life is just one giant paradox, where the more we learn the more we realize that we really don't know that much, and the closer we look at or analyze something, the more complex and perplexing it seems to become.

17. Rygirl

Reptiles fascinate me, they are the closest thing we will ever get to dinosaurs, they need to bask in the sun before they can function properly as well due to cold bloodedness.
    Also amphibians skin, they make gas exchanges through their skin, so anything less than perfectly clean water will poison them. Little tip for any happy campers, anywhere you see amphibians (frogs, newts, toads) you know that the water is safe to drink! :slight_smile:

18. Calico

Paradoxes.....like nothing cannot exist, and there are an infinite number of beings exactly like me typing these exact words in parallel universes, and there are an infinite amount of being exactly like me we except that they're not writing this right now etc etc.....
    I also love astrophysics and creative writing.

19. quietvictory

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Personality fascinates me. Basically, the human mind, as before mentioned, and how people's perception differ as well as their reaction to events and how they adapt. Add to that the chemistry between different personality types.

Patterns in the workings of all things, and all of the possibilities of their interconnectedness to all other things

The diversity of different people's energy... That light that comes out of everybody's eye is different and yet so equally pure and beautiful. It's unbelievable.

Specific virtues in contrast to their opposite.. I ponder the possibilities with these put to action in different extremes. For instance honesty, being objective vs. judgmental, empathy, etc. Don't know how to describe that one.

The laws of nature.

Personal growth and all of the options that we have every day to change from

And what Calico said -astrophysics, despite that sounding extremely intriguing, I have no idea what that is.

#19 quietvictory, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  20. Phantosmiac

I... really hate hugging. I am not a person who hugs, and there have been several girls I have known who have tried to change that. I just don't like them. Granted, I haven't ever really hugged a guy that wasn't related to me... So effectively I don't like hugging girls.