1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pro-LGBT Christian explains why he doesn't care about the "clobber verses"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mogget, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Mogget

So I'm posting Fred Clark again. He has a really good explanation of why he doesn't care if he's wrong and God actually does hate homosexuality.

2. DoriaN

A certain phrase comes to mind "Christians outsmarting themselves"
    The man speaks as if he is happy to those born LGBT to lack happiness.

As a Christian this is disgusting and uncouth.

3. Mogget

You need to read the whole article, that's absolutely not what he's saying.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Furthermore, you can tell that's the very opposite of what he's saying just from reading what Mogget quoted, not to speak of the whole article.

It is an interesting point, and it gets to part of what I find so objectionable about socially authoritarian Christianity today, which is that it's basically just a kind of Calvinism where if you're queer, you just go to Hell. Period.

5. Calico

It's a bit better than "You shall all spend eternity in Hell for your Sins!!!!!1!!!You are an abomination and your death shall cleanse the earth of your disgustingness!1!!!"
    Instead he's saying "If you really are going to Hell, it's not up to me and I am not going to judge you or demand you try to change because you don't need it, and if you really are sinful, I believe that God and God alone reserves the right to punish you for it."

6. Mogget

No he's not. He's being ironic. Saying that a human can "extend to them here the grace that God will ultimately rescind" would be, if taken unironically, be entirely blasphemous because it would suggest that a human is capable of more mercy and grace than God. Since Fred believes God is omnibenevolent, he obviously doesn't believe he's capable of either.