1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Positivity Challenge

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Melissa, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Melissa

Hi everyone!

I practically never start topics. Mostly because the few I've started in my lifetime failed something fierce, but I thought this was important enough to try. :thumbsup: Here goes nothing!

This is a positivity challenge so absolutely No Negativity, ok? ^^ Now I would like you to think about 5 things that you like about yourself. Yeah, this could seem like a lot to some people. (Ugh, it took me hours to think of 5 things!) Don’t worry about sounding conceited or anything. Just be honest with yourself. Personally, I found this simple exercise to make me feel pretty good. Of course all the negative thoughts come first (i.e. what I despise about myself and what I wish I could change) but it’s nice to dig a little deeper and figure out the good stuff. :grin:

5 things I like about me:

1. My sense of humor. If my mom didn’t raise me to have one, I would have given up ages ago. Also, I love to make others laugh, even at my own expense. I wouldn’t call my humor witty or dry. Maybe down-to-earth would be most accurate.

2. My ability to truly empathize with people. I really do. For example, a customer came into my job the other day terribly upset. I mean, sobbing nervous breakdown upset. She got hurt and can’t work, is in danger of losing her apartment and her 3 animals, lost her car, hadn’t eaten in 2 days, and had recently come out of an abusive marriage. My manager and I tried to console her. After she left my manager said “Guess we will be seeing her on the streets in Philly.” I just looked at her. The next day I went out and bought the woman $100 in groceries that I can’t really afford. But my god, I’d never seen a more grateful person in my life. She won’t stop calling me her guardian angel.

3. I have nice legs, and a cute butt. What else can I say? ^//^

4. I have a real six sense. When I was younger, I used to see a ghost, apparition, whatever you want to call it. (I don’t blame you if you are rolling your eyes in disbelief.) He was always with me. And I moved around a lot as a kid, so he wasn’t attached to a house or anything. He was a tall, older gentleman. He always had on an old-time grey suit and hat. He wore thin-rimmed glasses and had a short white beard. For a while I was afraid of him, but all he ever did was smile at me before disappearing. I don’t see him anymore and never found out who he was. From time to time I do see some unexplained things, but far less frequently than I used to.

5. I don’t feel like, nor can I relate to my age group. Technology and I don’t get along. My favorite stars include Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant, Danny Kaye, Edward G. Robinson, Vincent Price, Bruce Lee, and James Cagney. I don’t like any recent styles of clothes. I don’t watch reality tv shows or Family Guy. I begrudgingly carry a cell phone, and don’t for the life of me understand the point of Twitter.

So, if you think you’re up to the challenge… Go for it EC! Tell me no less than 5 things that make you awesome! (!)

2. This sounds like a wonderful thread to me. :slight_smile: I guess I'll give it a try.
    1. My amazing body. I mean I have a rocking but and I'm slim.
    2. My smartness. Enough said.
    3. My people skills.
    4. My taste in food. Hahaha
    5. My determination. I can anything I want. I just have to try.

3. Waterlilly

This is good. My therapist keeps trying to get me to say nice things about myself, so here goes:

1. I have a good memory and I can remember things after only reading them once. I used to feel guilty about this, but I do use the time I save to help other people study, so I guess I can feel good about this.
    2. I am a good cook. My mom taught me and cooking, especially for others gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling.
    3. I read really fast.
    4. I possess a maturity beyond my years, but can relate with people much younger than myself as well as people much older.
    5. I have small, delicate, nimble hands. I think they are my best feature and they can play piano and viola and make tiny paper cranes!

4. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What a wonderful idea! Threads like this make me happy. :grin:

I'm generally a very negative person, especially when it pertains to myself, but here goes:

1) My humour. Not everyone "gets" me, but when they do I will whore myself out for a laugh from them.

2) My sense of understanding and ability to empathize with others. I feel they count as one thing, because they make me a good listener.

3) The fact that of you're hungry, I can make you something wonderful to eat. I'm a splendid cook.

4) My depth. There's always some sort of Oprah-deep stuff running through my head. Things like what's my purpose here, or where will I be in 40 years?, how can I make someone happy in this moment - you know, that type of thing.

5) (It's really difficult to come up with 5... xD) My imagination. There is nothing like passing someone on the street and beginning with merely wondering where they're going, but before you know it you've worked out an entirely fictional life story for them. Then you have to race to write it down before you forget.

5. Phantosmiac

1. I am very smart.
    2. I breeze through school pretty easily without studying.
    3. I take tests well. (These might be along the same line of thought xd)
    4. I like boys :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    5. I ignore people well (quite useful actually)

6. Mercy

Mercy Guest

1 the ability to connect to people through my words ( writing and poetry and songs )

2 my ability to sing

3 my humour

4 my baking skills
    5 the way i love people

7. IrishLad93

Very good idea for a post because when thinking of myself and my image, negative thoughts always come first for me. Haha I don't like boasting but its always good to recognize the positives!

1. I am intelligent.

2. I am open minded/open to discussion

3. My sense of humor. ( The Irish Wittyness that I've grown up with :slight_smile: )

4. Im non-judgmental, I will choose friends for friends.

5. My people skills, (easy to get along with :slight_smile: )

@Mercy. I love to bake too... mmm cakes!

8. Melissa

@Mustachedwaffle – Thank you for participating! I admire your list! Having confidence in your physical appearance and intelligence is a wonderful thing. People skills are a must. What kind of food do you enjoy? Determination. Wonderful! I could use more of that for sure. ; )

@Waterlilly – Thank you for participating! It’s only fair that I admit to getting this exercise from one of my old therapists! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I really admire your photographic memory! That is definitely something to be proud of. It is nice to know that others are enjoying food you made yourself, huh? Personally, I’m no good in the kitchen. So kudos to you for that! What is your favorite thing to make? I love that you can play piano and the viola. I used to play the violin. And making the paper cranes! (A long time ago a friend made me one out of a Starburst wrapper!) What an art. That’s amazing. Delicate hands are quite beautiful. <3

@Geoffrey! - It is hard to come up with 5, I know! Aw, I never thought you were a negative person! Empathy, humor, and depth for you I agree with 100% my friend. Imagination. That is a great one. I think sometimes it’s hard to retain that as we age. And being a splendid cook? I don’t think anyone could say otherwise! ^_^

@Phantosmiac – Thank you for participating! You are very smart if you don’t need to study! And being a good test taker is definitely a great skill to have. The ability to ignore people is equally handy. There are days I wish I could do that. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

@Mercy – Thank you for participating! Connecting to people through words is truly a great gift to have. Singing is great isn’t it? Have you ever been in a choir? Are you an Alto or Soprano? I am a Soprano II. As I said, humor is so important in this world! And so is loving people. You must have a big heart. ^_^

@IrishLad93 – Thank you for participating! I know…it is horrible that negative thoughts are always at the forefront. It takes a conscious effort to stop them. But maybe together, we can change that. : ) It is so important to be open-minded and non-judgmental! I think that it adds to a person’s intelligence if they are able to see from different perspectives. What do you think? : )

Note: You all have made me so happy. Thank you. (*hug*)

9. IrishLad93

Yes, never turn down help!

I think its actually one of my biggest problems, having such a negative Dad, I mean really pessimistic and negative about everything, just makes it that much harder to be positive. Ive been conditioned to think negatively in a lot of situations but I try my best not too..

I think I've been doing much better lately :slight_smile:. And I hope the same for you and everyone else on here. Hope I can help just as much.

Yeah, agreed. Im pretty firm on some beliefs but I never hold them to be higher than anyone elses. I think everyone has their reasons to their point of views. It definitely helps you figure out yourself for a start.

Same :icon_mrgr

10. Aquafin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. I'm a doctor at a young age.
    2. I've found the love of my life at a youngerrr age.
    3. I'm a dork and proud of it.
    4. I am passionate about everything I do.
    5. My personality seems to put people at ease.

11. Priiiide

I have been told that I am a lot more mature for my age too, hehe let's be friends :eusa_danc

I really do not get along with people my age as they are so immature :dry:

---------- Post added 14th Sep 2012 at 12:36 PM ----------

This is SUCH a good idea. Positivity all the way. I'll do this when I've finished uni homework haha. It's going to take some time :slight_smile:

12. Defiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    1. My intelligence!
    2. My optimism for the future
    3. My shy/quiet persona
    4. I like the way everyone else gets drunk on a night out except me...
    5. My taste in music... 20th century all the way!

That's about it. Pretty boring i know...

13. Melissa

@IrishLad93 – And never be afraid to ask for help either. ^^ I’m sorry to hear about your dad’s attitude. It’s hard enough to stay positive surrounded by positive people, much less negative ones. It speaks volumes about you that you don’t want to be the same way. Hang in there! Just continue being yourself, and that in itself will inspire and help others. (&&&)

@ Aquafin – Thank you for participating! Wow, a doctor at 26. Major kudos to you. That’s great that you are passionate and that people are comfortable around you. Good traits for a doctor I think. Pride all around! ^^

@Priiiide – Thank you!! I look forward to your list!

@Defiant – Thank you for participating! You sir, are not boring! So don’t ever think that! >.< Having optimism for the future is (sadly) a rare quality in the world. It’s fantastic that you have that hope in you. Don’t get drunk huh? Lucky! So I guess you are always the designated driver when you go out? Everyone knows smart, quiet people are sexy. :icon_wink

14. Heyitsme

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. My intelligence.
    2. I am very passionate about the things I care about, like music, math, running/fitness, the LGBT rights movement, etc.
    3. I have a really good work ethic. Yeah I have my lazy days, but if there's something that's gotta get done, you can bet I will have it done good.
    4. I like the way I look. I used to not, but I've learned that I'm good just the way I am.
    5. My ability to not give a damn what people think about me. I used to be bullied alot for not being like other people, but I am who I am for a reason, and there's no reason for me to deny myself that.

15. I freaking love almost ANY italian food.

You can have determination if you truly want it!

Thanks for starting this thread. It's making me really happy!

16. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. I bake good cookies
    2. I'm not stupid
    3. I'm punctual
    4. I like the fact that I'm a nerd
    5. I have good taste in music

That was so hard. I saw this post when you first posted it. I've been trying to do it ever since. And my results were kinda pathetic...

17. knowayout

Out Status:
    A few people
    -I can cook and clean like nobody's biz
    -I'm great in bed
    -I'm the best friend anyone could ask for
    -I'm a sweet little boy stuck in a mans body
    -I can dance with tears in my eyes and a smile on my face

18. HarleyQ

I have loved reading this thread!! <3 you guys are awesome :slight_smile:

okay... here goes my list
    1. I'm quite intelligent and determined. School is one of the few areas in which I feel I really shine.
    2. I'm determined. For example, after a year of being told I shouldn't run or dance anymore, I have decided to begin again. I've found that I am a much happier person when I am able to do the things I love :slight_smile: I'm just taking it easy. When I quit running, my mile time was about 6 minutes or so. Right now it's about 8 or 9, depending on the run. When I first started up again, I was at a 12 minute mile. I am getting there!!
    3. My randomness and weird quirks. :slight_smile: They add a bit of flavor that can't really be duplicated :slight_smile:
    4. My alone time. I try to make sure I have at least 20 minutes of alone time to recharge and let myself be at peace. Lately this has been my belly dance practice at home.
    5. My imagination. I am a writer and an actress... I need the weird things my mind conjures :slight_smile:

This has been really helpful! I've been having a less than stellar day, but I feel a bit better :slight_smile: about myself anyway. Thank you for the challenge!!

19. Kieth11

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    1. My imagination (Sorry for stealing HarleyQ's idea). I really like writing stories, but for some reason I can't seem to write long stories. All my stories are like, 3 pages long...
    2. I play piano and accordion.
    3. I folk dance. For some reason, people that I've talked to think folk dancing is ridiculous for a male to do. Also the main concept.
    4. I like to read a lot. I just got some neat books, but I'm still trying to read them since school requires I read stuff.
    5. I like trying to find new movies and television series. My sister thinks me strange for doing this. Going onto IMDB and finding some random movies.

*Sigh* Took me a little longer than anticipated!

#19 Kieth11, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  20. Bookmonster

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    1. My intelligence. It's something I hate getting complimented on, because it's not something I've achieved myself and I don't have to work as hard as anyone in my class, which makes me feel lazy, but I do love being smart :slight_smile:
    2. I can make fun of myself and don't always take life seriously.
    3. My singing and drawing skills i.e. they always provide a laugh. They are practically nonexistent.
    4. My imagination and creativity. Though I hate it sometimes as I can't watch horror movies, as my brain seems to think that stuff is very possible.
    5. I'm loyal. If my friends ask me to support them in something, I will. Always. I don't repeat gossip or pass on secrets.