1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gsa?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ShadowDragon, Sep 15, 2012.

1. ShadowDragon

So I know that it means Gay-Straight-Alliance but what do you really do in it. I have a GSA at my school and I wanted to go to the first meeting but I was kinda nervous and I didnt know what they do there? Is it just a place to meet other gays?

2. AllyCat

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    What the GSA's goals are probably depend on the people running it. Some are more social, others are more about activism. It's basically a place where LGBT people and their straight allies can get together, be open about who they are, and support each other. At least that's how I'd define it. :slight_smile:

3. TheSwagganator

Yes and no. It's for support; a place to feel welcomed. I would recommend sending an email to whoever is in charge and just ask for details about what goes on. It's usually completely anonymous also.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! As it was said above, GSAs take on different goals and functions. There are some GSAs that tend to be more involved in activism, spreading awareness in school(s) and the wider community, and organizing events to that effect. Others tend to be more for social gatherings and providing a safe space for LGBTs in a school.

Going to a meeting and checking them out, and finding out what they do, is a good way of introducing yourself to it. I would definitely encourage you to go.

5. runallday4

runallday4 Guest

Hi, I've recently been made president of our schools GSA and I was just looking for some advice for what I should do. In past years the clubs done nearly nothing. The only thing they did was advertise Day of Silence, they didn't even have meetings, so any advice would be great.

Also, I go to a small school in a fairly rural town, so not that many gay students, and not many opportunities to get involved with activism.

6. armsoutfarther

My school doesn't have a GSA (well, I go to cyber school so) but I do plan to go the GLCC sometime soon. But I would definitely go if I had the chance.

And for runallday, having meetings and planning events would be great. I was president of Student Council in 8th grade so I have some experience in that kind of stuff. I worked with the principle for events, held meetings every week and tried to get the school involved. But what Mirko said is great advice too :icon_bigg

7. Waterlilly

At my high schools GSA we met every week and ate cookies. We held events like Day of Silence and TBGLAD day which were for the whole school. For TBGLAD we had speakers and showed awareness movies. For Day of Silence we handed out tshirts and pins. It was nice because I could get a sense of community without even having to come out.