1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How has being LGBT influenced your feelings toward abortion?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by fleetingwells, Sep 15, 2012.

1. fleetingwells

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I'm doing a writing assignment for my health class and the prompt asks me to describe the cultural influences of how I perceive a certain health topic. So I decided to focus on the LGBT culture and how I/we perceive abortion. But I also wanted to ask members here to see what you guys have to say and gain some cultural insight if it isn't too much to ask. I guess you could call it an impromptu interview. So the question is mainly in the title, but to be more specific, how is abortion viewed in the LGBT community? And again, how has being LGBT influenced your feelings/attitudes/behavior toward abortion?

2. Mogget

It hasn't. I became pro-choice prior to realizing I was gay, and the realization has changed nothing on my views on abortion. I'm as pro-choice as ever.

3. Tycho

I'm pro choice and always have been. I don't think being gay has influenced that. It's weird though, I'm pro-choice but somehow I still don't like the idea of abortion. I think it's totally fine and would never look at anyone differently for getting one though. Even I'm confused as to why I feel this way.

Overall, I'd be inclined to say that a lot of the LGBT community would be pro choice, for numerous reasons. Now it could just be a sweeping generalization, but it is the vibe I have gotten from the majority of my LGBT friends/acquaintances.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The fact that I am queer has nothing to do with my pro-choice views. I simply think that the government should stay the fuck out of the health decisions of people with uteri.

Also, I have noticed that there are some parallels between pro-choice struggles and queer struggles. The argument that social authoritarians make, when they are feeling honest, is that they basically hate people having sex for fun. The way they put it is "sex without consequences." The reason for being anti-choice then, is to punish women and others with uteri who have unprotected sex, who are forced to have unprotected sex (although I hear that if it's legitimate, then women's bodies just shut that whole thing down), and or when unprotected sex fails, by forcing them to carry the child to term. In my view, that's slavery and torture, and why it's even a debate is beyond me. Similarly, social authoritarians had same-sex attraction, because it can't result in consequences--that is, children--and it's something people do for, wait for it, fun.

#4 Pret Allez, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  5. Iamthewalrus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My sexuality has not altered my view that forcing a woman to carry and give birth to a baby she does not want is inhumane. Obviously i'm a guy and I can't ever understand what that feels like, but I have heard enough from people who do to know that restricting abortion can only be described as an anti-woman policy. Yes in an ideal world there shouldn't be a need for abortion, but this isn't ever going to be an ideal world.

6. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only insofar as to assume it has influenced my social liberalism; which is to say very little or not at all. Those beliefs seem to be inherent, be it how I was raised or how I came to view the world.

7. Bebop

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, the only reasons to be pro-life are to punish women :rolle:. How can you not see how this is a debate? How can you not look at a topic like this and not see the huge mess of a gray area that it is? You say that it's slavery and torture of the woman, they say it'd murder of a human life. If you claim a fetus isn't always a life (if at all) at what point does it become not okay to kill them/it and why does that point make it wrong?

8. Mogget

I'd like to request that we restrict this thread to discussing the issue of being queer affecting our views on abortion, and not on the abortion debate itself. Feel free to make a thread discussing the abortion debate, but the OP is using this thread to help her studies, and debating abortion itself won't help her.

9. Dalmatian

As almost everybody else here, I to am pro-choice. And, of course, that has nothing to do with my sexuality. I always considered it horrible that someone would force a woman to carry a baby for nine months and then have to expel it through such a tiny passage.

The arguments of different religious groups, and here in Croatia that's mostly the Catholic church, only make my views stronger. In their righteous struggle to protect the cluster of stem cells they spare not a glance for the mother.

That's a common argument, but a false one nonetheless. If there is no hard border, does that mena there is no border at all? Firstly, see what you think of the extremes. Is a child at birth a human being? Is an ovum that has just been penetrated by a sperm a human being? I hope we can all agree answers are "yes" and "no", respectively.

The question of gray area comes in all issues. Which bean makes a heap? In almost everything you can think of, there is a gray area. If there is a hard border, it is usually arbitrary. When it comes to abortion, some common sense can be used to define the point of no return, but to me, even that is questionable. However, one trimester at least gives the mother enough time to decide. Forcing her to keep a baby that has been conceived the night before is just crazy.

10. Bebop

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All my point was by those questions was to show how much of a gray area it is and how arbitrary any response will be, as it wasn't for a pro-life stance it wasn't "false".

And to actually answer the question, I sway to the pro-choice side but I have no idea at what point it becomes acceptable and can see any choice is really arbitrary.

11. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Hasn't affected me. I'm pro-choice.
    Actually I don't really see how being queer could affect your position on abortion in and of itself, so this might be a hard area to focus on.
    Good luck though!

12. Rygirl

My sexuality has not influenced my beliefs, nor has my religious environment, I made a decision long ago that if I ever found out I was pregnant I would have the baby.

13. Bebop

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :bang: didn't actually answer the question.
    and being gay has nothing to do with my views*

14. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It hasn't affected my views in any way. Think that people should preferably not to have abortions. But at the end of the day it's their bodies and their lives and if they feel like they need to then it's their decision and nobody should judge them for it or take away their right to do it.

15. Lewis

I wasn't expecting so many people to be for pro-choice, because I am not. I wouldn't judge a woman for wishing to do so, it's her body and her life. I just personally would do everything in my power to stop someone close to me having an abortion. I have seen the effects that post-abortion has on women and in most cases it is constant regret, even if it's just a small amount of regret. How can you ever stop imagining what the outcome of that child could bring? The life that could have been given.

I'm not religious at all, but I'm very...soft-hearted when it comes to situations like these. If I was a woman, I personally couldn't do it. I just think abortion can emotionally damage women so much.

16. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It hasn't effected my views on abortion. Even before I knew I was gay, I always believed a woman should have the right to have an abortion. On the other hand I also always vowed to never have an abortion unless in an extreme circumstance because I don't like the idea of having an abortion.

My idea of abortion has changed a bit as I grew older but it had nothing to do with my sexuality. I questioned the morality of abortion regardless. My sexuality may have made me fall on the liberal side of politics but then again I was liberal way before I knew I was gay.

The only thing that changed when I found out my sexuality is that I realized I have little to no chance that I'll ever have to face the question of "Should I get an abortion?"

And overall, those that I know in the LGBT community tend to fall on the pro-choice side.

17. Aielar

I'm pro choice now (wasn't always) but being part of the rainbow community hasn't changed that view or affected it in anyway.

18. MichaelB

I don't think my sexuality has changed my view on the subject much.

I must say though, I'm surprised at the amount of people saying they're pro choice. I would say I'm liberal and pro choice, and it's the womans body and everything, but at the same time.. meh. I suppose it depends on how conception occurred. If they used protection and still managed to fall pregnant and aborted, that's fair enough. But if neither of them used any protection at all, then it's their own fault and the baby shouldn't suffer the consequence.

I think it would also affect my view on the person. I think abortion, when you didn't take any precautions, is inherently selfish. But what ever. >.>

19. Paper Heart

I was always pro-choice, however being LGBT really showed me the flaws of the pro-life movement. Instead of playing upon pictures of newborns and shame, I think it would be a smarter approach to help people become more sexually aware. So instead of couples becoming pregnant, they would have knowledge on reproduction and have greater access to protection, so that abortions would become a last resort. But that's a little too bipartisan for these two groups to consider.

20. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Being gay hasn't altered my view on being pro-life.