1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yay! I made a difference (hopefully)!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AllyCat, Sep 16, 2012.

1. AllyCat

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I was at the library a few weeks ago and I found this book in the Social Issues section called "Homosexuality and American Public Life". In it, they had a chapter refuting the idea that there could be a biological/genetic basis behind being gay, and another chapter was really anti-gay marriage.

I was pretty disgusted that such a book was on the shelf in my quaint little library so I filled out the form to have a book removed from circulation. The librarian warned me that to quality for consideration, the petitioner would have had to read the book cover-to-cover whereas I had merely skimmed it. I wasn't about to read the entire thing, mainly because I wasn't interested in barfing and feeling depressed. But I figured I might as well try, so I filled out the form.

So I get a letter in the mail the other day saying that the Library Board reviewed my petition and decided to remove the book. I'm so glad I did it because hopefully I made a difference. Because who knows, maybe some questioning teenager would have found that book on the shelf, read that he was going to hell, and attempted suicide.

2. Pain

Pain Guest

Any little thing like that really can make a difference! Way to go! :grin:

3. BudderMC

That's absolutely fantastic. :slight_smile:

(plus I didn't even know petitioning to get a book removed from circulation even existed, so I learned something new today :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

4. prism

Wish I could agree, but the removal or destruction of any book is a loss to society. Even if everyone agrees that it is damaging, that book may have been a source for someone researching older perspectives on homosexuality.

What is "wrong" is subjective. Just as how you believe your opinion is correct, the author of the book may have truly believed his opinion was correct.

"There is only a perspective seeing, only a perspective 'knowing'; and the more affects we allow to speak about one thing, the more eyes, different eyes, we can use to observe one thing, the more complete will our 'concept' of this thing, our 'objectivity,' be." -Friedrich Nietzsche

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It will always be possible to research opinions of that sort.

6. AllyCat

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well sorry, I have to disagree with you here. This is not the same thing as, say, banning a classic work of literature like "Huckleberry Finn" because one of the character's names is named N--- Jim. We're talking about a book that leads people to suicidal tendancies and self-hatred that take years if not decades to undo. I've seen it both in documentaries and in real life and it breaks my heart.

The book was published in 1995 so if that makes it 'older' I am a frickin old fogey.

I hate to do the cliche-as-heck Hitler comparison, but I'm sure when Hitler wrote "Mein Kampf" he truly believed his opinion was correct.

7. vyvance

Kudos for taking action towards what you felt was right, but I'm gonna have to agree with Prism regarding censorship.

Also, I don't understand the point of your "Hitler comparison." He most definitely did believe his opinion was correct, but what's your point?

8. Caudex

Caudex Guest

I seriously doubt that any questioning teen would go into a library, pick up a book (seriously, teens don't read books anymore), and kill him/herself based on an opinion in the book. I really don't see why sexual minorities are so edgy about opinions. I actually have firsthand experience suggesting that removal of the book was helpful at all. I remember that a bunch of protesters were hanging out at some speech to which I went because the speaker was openly gay. That was actually irked me so much that I stopped making gay jokes in school and stuff like that.

9. AllyCat

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Ok well now I'm really confused and kinda upset. Why am I getting flak for standing up against homophobia? You guys are saying you want a book at a local library telling LGBT people that they are sinful and can change?

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    AllyCat's point is that merely thinking that your opinion is correct doesn't necessarily mean it belongs in the library.

Bad science doesn't belong in the library. Libraries exist to keep information.

Sorry, AllyCat. I appreciate what you did, even if some others disagree.

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the argument against banning books such as this is a completely different one from banning books such as Mark Twain's work.

One of the things that has helped our society to grow and prosper is the idea of critical thinking and spirited debate. And one of the things that makes the United States unique over practically every other country in the world is the near-absolute guarantee of free speech laid out in our Constitution.

So when we remove a book from a library, we're doing two things, neither of which are positive: We stifle debate and discussion, and we trample on the First Amendment.

By removing opposing views, we lose the opportunity to allow others to develop critical analysis skills, and that's exactly what the backwards bozos in the Texas legislature are talking about doing from the Texas state school curriculum: banning the teaching of critical thinking skills, claiming that "teaching children to question their parents' beliefs is wrong." Never mind the fact that without critical thinking skills and debate, we would not have hardly any of the major scientific discoveries we've had in the world.

And by removing protected speech that's offensive to society, we start ourselves down a slippery slope. Let's assume for just a moment that the board of directors from the library were a bunch of bigoted, conservative Christian crazies. (Not at all an unreasonable assumption if the library were located in a small town full of bigots, which is true in many parts of America.) This board could just as easily do the opposite; remove a book arguing that being gay can be healthy, that it is normal, and nothing to be upset about. While this happens to be a factually incorrect argument, in both cases, we're talking about stifling discussion, debate, and the opportunity for an individual to hear both arguments and decide for him or herself what the correct answer is.

And, fundamentally, an individual's beliefs, knowledge, and understanding of the world is going to be stronger, and the schema surrounding that information more complex and robust, if s/he has had the opportunity to hear and evaluate both viewpoints, rather than simply being told "This is the correct belief."

Now... the argument above notwithstanding, I do completely agree with your point that some gay or questioning teenager could stumble on that book and read the information in it, and become depressed, upset, or worse as a result of reading it. I guess my solution would be a different one: Add a bunch of books supporting an accurate, balanced, scientific viewpoint on the topic, so that the legitimate, correct information outweighs the bigoted, incorrect information. Perhaps even sticker the ignorant book with a label that says "The library board has determined that the information in this book may not be factually correct" or something... but even that potentially has Big Brother overtones to it.

I strongly applaud the desire to take a stand, and to help ensure that accurate information is disseminated to people who need it; I just think we have to be really, really careful when we start dictating what sort of information is accessible to people, and don't trust them to read and make determinations for themselves.

12. vyvance

Was less my intention to give you flak, and more simply to disagree with the end result of censorship. I did actually mean it when I said Kudos for taking steps you felt were right. I just don't agree with censorship. So if it helps, take them as two separate things.

1. Kudos for taking steps you felt were right against homophobia.
    2. I don't agree with censorship.

As for your second topic; in short, yes. I think people should have free access to information, and not just the information other people think they should have access to (excluding sensitive personal information for obvious reasons). Whether or not the information is correct is irrelevant.

Information is information. Being bad science doesn't change it from being information, it just makes it incorrect information.

#12 vyvance, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  13. prism

And you can still buy 'Mein Kampf' despite its obvious offense to the victimized European communities.

My point is, depending on your perspective, any book can be seen as offensive. Who can say anyone's opinion is the right one? You can't, so you have two options: Oblige to every request to have a book taken off the shelves (Say goodbye to Huckleberry Finn), or allow every book to be available.

14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Except that the book AllyCat is talking about is heterosexist propaganda, and Huckleberry Finn is an antiracist novel.

Also, I find the argument that anything can be offensive un-compelling. Sometimes if you're offended, that's because you're wrong.

#14 Pret Allez, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  15. Lad123

I'm going to support AllyCat on this one. We should be telling her that she did a good job rather than criticise her actions. What is wrong with you guys? Some people are gullible and believe everything that they read and hear (religious fundamentalists) so what AllyCat did deserves praise.

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Her heart is clearly in the right place, it's just that sometimes we don't think through the ramifications of our actions, and what we intend to do for the right reasons can end up very, very badly.

Censorship of books is one such case.

Any book that has anything meaningful worth saying is going to stimulate some sort of controversy. And for controversy to exist, there have to be people that disagree with the premise of the author. So... any book with a worthwhile message does, in fact, have the potential to be offensive to someone. It's when we let those "someones" control what we can read, or say, or think, or do that we run very serious risks of losing freedoms, stifling dissent and discussion, and similar things.

To be fair, there are times at EC where the staff steps in and shut down certain types of discussion, which would seem to be contradictory to the argument i'm making... but we're not a library, we're a support community. So the rules are very different in this sort of environment. Public libraries are supposed to be places of information, discussion, and sharing of ideas, not places where suppression of ideas should be happening.

17. I think Chip has said everything I wanted to far more eloquently than I could have. The library is a place to obtain information, which isn't just limited to scientific knowledge. When we start limiting what we make available to the people (and just who should be able to decide this?), it can create problems. In addition, the OP said she found the book in the Social Issues section; the main point of that category is to represent both sides of social issues, which homosexuality is considered. Unless the library only carried anti-gay or even pro-gay literature, they're doing their job.

Another point I'd like to make is that, while it's awful that many teens have attempted/committed suicide due to society's attitutes toward being queer, we can't shelter them from reading every negative view. It's like an overprotective parent telling their kid they can't leave the house, because they might get hurt. What we can do is teach those children how to protect themselves. Eventually, every child is going to deal with some form of opposition, whether it's because of their sexual orientation or another reason. The younger they learn that the world isn't always a nice place, the better, in my opinion. It's not ideal, but homophobia isn't going anywhere for a long time, so until it does, we need to learn how to cope.

18. Life Is Peachy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'd like to reiterate what vyvance said. Good job for taking a stand against homophobia :slight_smile: But it's kind of censoring view points. A certain book came to mind when I saw this. Fahrenheit 451. I can't remember the exact quote, but it was something along the lines of books starting to be burnt because they offended minorities.

19. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As someone who works in a public library, I would have to agree that the book should have stayed on the shelf.
    Sure, someone might look in it and read the false and offensive information within, but I sincerely doubt anyone seriously researching said topic would stop after one book, taking it at face value, especially since it's such an important subject. All the other books about the subject would be shelved in close proximity, so it wouldn't take much effort to find them.

While what AllyCat did is absolutely wonderful in terms of ethics and the spread of correct information, the eventual removal of the book is still censorship of a negative opinion.

20. Ridiculous

I would've moved it to the fiction section.