1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should Gay Couples have children NOW

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aquafin, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Aquafin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So... do you think it is a good idea for gay couples to raise children in this day and time?

My partner and I currently live in Charlotte NC, and we were thinking about starting the adoption process sometime soon since I have always wanted to have my first kid at age 28. My question is due to some concerns I have. Do you think raising kids will be generally accepted nowadays with two dads or two moms?

You have to understand that having a family with children has always been a big dream of mine. Coming to terms with being gay when I was younger... it was the toughest choice to come out of the closet for me because I wanted to have kids so bad. It never occurred to me that I could adopt children (when I was a child). Now, it is an option. However... there are so many things to think about.

Especially in the south... I'm wondering if our children would be picked on in school for having two dads. [Thinking private school]

Do you think that a child needs the motherly figure? Because both of us are dominate/masc... I kinda wish one of us was more feminine to fill in that void...

What if the child grows older and despite raising him/her with good values, they choose to not accept homosexuality as acceptable?

I have a lot more on my mind... but I just wanted to see what you all thought?

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  3. solost44

solost44 Guest

What a child needs is parents to love them unconditionally. I have seen many a straight couple with children who should have never been allowed to spread their gene pool. I too live in the south and am amazed at the growing number of same sex parents. I think that society is becoming more accepting. Whatever you decide with your partner Im sure you will be greAt parents. Good luck!

4. Mrs Dani

Out Status:
    A few people
    I see nothing wrong with a gay couple having children, unless they would be horrible parents. In that case I don't think anyone who would be horrible parents should have kids.

5. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (Just jumped to pick one part of it but could've done any). What, heterosexual (or for that matter, queer) mother's can't be dominate/masc and have children? My mother is just as masculine if not more so than my father, but I can tell you she did just fine and I love her with all my heart.

I'm not a parent, obviously, but if what I've been told is any indication - if you want to be a parent, you'll be just fine. Even with hesitance toward your abilities (which I can comfortably assume my mother had, being similar to her in personality), I'm told you "learn to grow with them" and "the bond comes naturally when you stick to it."

And it's the same with your worries about your children eventually not accepting you. That happens regardless of gender - it won't always be a perfect and wholly comfortable relationship. That's far from limited to same-sex couples.

Anyways, to end my mini-rant - live your dreams, mate. Don't let society stand in the way of what would otherwise seem to be a comfortable decision for you.