1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Job - New Me

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gazza123, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Right

So recently, well actually today, I got offered a part-time job permanent at a local supermarket which I took because jobs are few and far between and I really need the money.

Now I want to ask you guys something. Generally I am a quiet, keep to myself kinda guy that hasn't exactly broke out his shell.

Since the people at this job will be new to be and I will be new to them. I think it's time for me to give a good first impression of myself as not the quiet person but someone is happy, not a chatter box but still chatty and who someone would want to be friends with because I hoping to make friends in this job.

How do I go about it without being too, you know, in someones face or getting on peoples nerves.

You sort of understand what I mean

I don't exactly what I mean... hope you can understand

2. ForceAndVerve

Righty...

First of all BIG CONGRATZ for getting a job!!! :grin:

Couple of things, and I apologise if these seem obvious to you. First, try to look them in the eye and speak clearly when you introduce yourself. If you want, you can offer you their hand to shake. And if you do end up shaking hands, always make sure your hand shake isn't limp. People generally do not like a limp handshake as it shows your just not bothered. Don't try to break their hand, but be firm.

Natrually being new in the job, you will be asking a LOAD of questions, and when you do have to ask, dont be afraid to just go "excuse me, I'm not sure what I should do here.." etc. No one will get annoyed at you for asking, it's better to ask then cock it all up. Having said that,

I also recommend that as a new empolyee you keep your mouth shut and your eyes/ears wide open for a week or so. Listen and watch how your colleagues operate. Once you've got the grasp of the job, and you start to get to know them, you can start to open up and "chat" to them.

Leading on from the chatting bit, a word of WARNING, NEVER EVER gossip in the work place. It will never lead to anything good. If you don't like someone for whatever reason, I sugget you keep it to yourself. And if you catch others gossiping about other co-workers, don't get involved. There's a place and time for gossip, and the work place is not it.

As long as you remain friendly and work hard, there's no reason why you can't become friends with the people you work with. Just remember not to shoot your mouth off from day one.

That's all for now, if I think of anything else, I'll add it!

I wish you all the luck in the world in your new job!

#2 ForceAndVerve, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  3. BudderMC

First off, congrats on the job! That's awesome that you finally got offered something. :slight_smile:

For me, I'd also consider myself a relatively quiet, relatively non-chatty person (despite how much I post on EC...), but I also know I'm more than capable of being really social when I want to. Generally, our body language indicates how open we are to being talked to at the moment than we think.

So, I'd say don't go in looking to talk with everyone, because that can seem like a really daunting task. Instead, go in being open to having conversations. Make eye contact, hold your head up/back straight, try and make an effort to smile. Even giving the acknowledging "head nod" when you're walking by someone is a start to building some rapport with them. Then on break or after shift, if you feel like you want to talk to someone, approach someone who seems interesting to you.

Another thing, since you're going to be the "new guy", is to play that to your advantage. That means you can start conversations by asking someone who already knows the ropes a question, or talking about things like quick introductions or common interests. Since you don't really know any of these people yet, it's more than acceptable to ask questions that are basically just fishing for information, since you're trying to get to know them.

But most importantly, remember that you're there to work, not necessarily to socialize, in order to take the pressure off of you. If you make some friends, that's great. And if you don't, well, you're still making money, which is also great.

Oh, and of course, be yourself. No sense making friends if you have to lie to do it, right? :slight_smile:

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

4. if youre on tills, the tills bunch are usually the tightest with friendships it seems because there are so many people working diff shifts and its the biggest dept.

other departments are (i.e grocery/fresh) are friendly but only a few people work on those depts at a time so they dont really have time to form proper friendships i think. (from what i can gather anyway)

just say hi whenever you walk past someone, or even smile. ask briefly how they are. initiate small talk like that, then they will probably warm to you. not that they wouldnt anyway but some people might be shy even if they have been there for years. people will gladly show you what to do if you dont know something/if you get stuck until youre comfortable.

dont go into the job thinking youre going to make friends, because you may not. but you probably will. if you get invited out by someone, say yes even if you dont want to go and ask if you can take a friend to make yourself more okay with it. i made this mistake time and time again now no one asks me anymore, they know im really shy but now most prob just think im rude haha. im really shy but with customers its a diff story i chat away to them.... im not sure why XD

5. Pain

Pain Guest

Yay! Congrats! And good mindset as well!

Ok, you say that you wanna leave a good first impression. SMILE. For no damn reason at all :slight_smile: SMILE deeper or more genuinely when talking to someone. Introduce yourself :slight_smile: Hold out your hand and say "Hi, I'm ___________________"

When someone introduces zirself to you, then smile when receiving the greeting. Take interest in zim, and don't be afraid to ask questions around new people. If you're wary about a question, be polite, and say something like, "***question here***, if you don't mind me asking?"

Don't be dishonest or gossip, like said above. Just be approachable, and open to others. You'll do very well, I'm sure :slight_smile:

CONGRATSSS!!!!!!!! :grin: