1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nice Guys Finish Last

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pain, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Pain

Pain Guest

Yo.

A friend just asked me "Why is it nice guys finish last?" He told me that I probably couldn't answer it. What do yall think of that statement? Do you have an answer?

I answered:
    "Because of impulse. "Nice" is often based on personal morals and one of the major ones is self-control. "Nice" guys can surpass impulse and thing is, they don't care if they finish last or not, because the way they see it, they'll finish at all, and that's satisfying in itself to them, whereas "bad" guys tend to act on impulse and time matters. They usually want instant gratification, and will do many things, less inhibited by morals, to get what they want, when they want it.
    I think, at least."

Thoughts?

2. Waterlilly

Nice guys might finish last in the short term but they probably do pretty well in the long term. Like you said, "bad" guys usually want instant gratification. That's not much of a strategy for anything lasting. Eventually you will trod on some toes and people will see you for what you are. If you are a good guy, eventually you will build up a reputation and good things will come your way (hopefully). I think it's like the tortoise and the hare.

3. Clown

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Reminds me of the tortoise and the hare stories.
    Yes, nice guys may finish last but they're generally more successful by making the best choices and thinking over the possibilities. :slight_smile:

4. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

Heheheh... totally got the Green Day song stuck in my head.... *awkwardly wanders off humming to self* Nice guys finish last, hm, what a thought.

5. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I think your explanation hit the nail on the head. Nice guys finish last, but bad boys will run the race many times before the nice guy finishes. Difference is that the nice guy will finish the race with something (i.e. someone) worthwhile, while the bad boys will have nothing to show for their races, expect an empty wallet and maybe an STD, or even a kid they don't want.

6. Kirakishou

7. squally89

It depends what "finish" means?
    Bad boys/girls and good boys/girls have different goals~
    What about a neutral boy/girl who are just okay bad and okay good? They would finish 2nd place? haha

8. NordicSpirit

Totally random but...this reminded me of a pic I saw on facebook captioned: "Nice guys finish last..cause they make their partner cum first". :lol:

9. Pinstripe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    In my experience, a lot of self-proclaimed nice guys who complain about this aren't as nice as they think they are. They're the guys who've gotten bitter because the world hasn't given them what they wanted. And sometimes their idea of nice is being a pushover. I understand getting frustrated, but complaining about jerks who're better off than you isn't all that productive.

10. Bookmonster

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well, if you've ever heard of Jenna Marbles, you will know that nice guys DON'T finish last. She is truly hilarious!! (Thankyou Youtube)

11. GingerGuy

Nice guys finish last because they are yet to find me to solve their problems ;-)

(starts singing poor unfortunate souls from Ursula in the little mermaid)

12. sunnii

I do hate that phrase. Years ago I was (if there's such a thing) too nice. I think wih niceness vulnerability (and in my case naivity) can come with it and that's what definately happened with me. That ended up making me very bitter and bitchy.

I kind of went full circle when I got a job last year where I bent over backwards to please everyone and everyone and people took advantage of how naive I was/am. I do wish I could be more of an "arse" when I need to be. Tbh I kind of have I just need to keep at it

13. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

This.

A lot of people confuse being nice to being a doormat. You can still be nice while not allowing people to step on you. If you are nice to everyone, even people who step on you, then you aren't nice anymore. There is also a difference between being civil and nice.

I have a pet peeve with people that think they are entitled to a relationship or a reward just because they are nice. Come on. Being nice should be the cherry on top. Plus, if you are nice to every single person, then flirting and making someone feel special goes out the window. Who will feel special by you treating them nicely if you treat everyone nicely?

If you like Jenna Marbles then this is worth a watch. If you don't, then move a long :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    [YOUTUBE]3VXXXX9iVPI[/YOUTUBE]

14. Laevigatae

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
  15. darlig ulv

I try to be courteous, I get more girls doing so than the douchebags who think they're the experts.

16. biggayguy

Nice guys follow some form of ethical code. Bad guys usually do not. That means the bad guy does whatever he wants to get what he want. (Apologies for the all male pronouns.)

#16 biggayguy, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  17. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a nice guy...and at the same time, I'm not. I have no filter and a wicked sense of humor, yet I'm nice and caring and have a big heart. Both of them helped win over my man.

And yet earlier, I called my pregnant crackhead cousin a crack whore and a sperm dumpster.

18. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nice guys finish last because they make sure everyone behind them finishes first.

It is not an obvious win, but it is a moral win, and the loser here is infinitely stronger than the one who cheats to get ahead.

19. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I fully agree with TheEdend said about the subtleties of the "nice guy" and what Sunii said about naiveté, it's the nice guy who doesn't see his own shadow, or the dark side of being "nice".

The ancient Greeks had a different concept: Arete, or "excellence" (it's the root of "aristocrat") and the kind of person who exhibited excellence (not being "nice") was often portrayed as the hero in their Greek tragedies (a hero who would often butt heads against some cruel power or authority).

It was the hero who did the right thing, and doing the right thing often led to a tragic outcome (hence finishing last...).

20. Nice guys finish last means that people will date jerks, but they'll end up marrying the nice guys (well sometimes)