1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An Observation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AshenAngel, Sep 18, 2012.

1. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

I've noticed that I see a lot more androgynous looking females/women than androgynous looking males/men. Anyone else obverve this? Wondering if this is just a trait specific to my area. Thoughts? I'm not trying to offend or insult anyone, I'm just curious. Thanks!:slight_smile:

2. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm tempted to assume this to be a consequence of Western culture's current social trend of "tolerating" more atypical gender traits (in appearance, at least) amongst women/girls than they do amongst men/boys. Male androgyny (or more so, femininity) seems a fair bit more stigmatized.

But, I've never been to the Denver/Central Colorado area, so I can't say with any certainty that there isn't an atypical amount of female androgyny in appearance where you live. Not sure why that would be the case, though.

3. aeva

I suppose the ARE a lot of androgynous women about, especially in the lesbian community. In a way I think it's easier for women to look androgynous than men though, because men tend to have more strongly-defined features. It could also be that, as a lesbian, you simply NOTICE the androgynous women more.

I agree with Lovely about the stigma that is related to it all too though.

4. Waterlilly

I agree that it might be easier for some girls to look androgynous than some men, and so there seem to be more because they are just more convincing.
    We had a cross-dressing dance at my school last year. All I did was wear my shoulder length hair down and put my friends sports jacket (which was way to big) on over my own everyday clothes. Everybody said I looked like a guy. I put in way way less effort than even the least feminine-looking guy there and and I was more convincing than all of them. (I have had to practice moving and standing like a guy though, because I am a mezzo-soprano and I play boys on stage, so that might have helped).

5. PurpleCrab

Well around here there are lots of young guys going to schools who keep their hair long and dress somewhat feminine. I'd recognize them as slightly androgynous, though most people don't. To society, they are normal males and that's it.

It's easy to recognize an androgynous woman but is it that easy to recognize an androgynous man? What is androgynous anyway? To wear genderless clothes, have a genderless haircut, no facial hair... that pretty much describes the average male to me.

6. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

that's very possible^^... Okay, story time. I saw somebody at my school and I thought they were pretty attractive. I thought they were female. But he was actually the first androgynous guy I had ever met, haha. And since then, still the only one.

---------- Post added 20th Sep 2012 at 04:31 PM ----------

Not really into him anymore... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. ameliawesome

Maybe it's because androgynous doesn't mean trying to look more like the opposite gender. If a guy were wearing what I'm wearing right now, we'd both just be wearing a red tank and blue jeans. I dunno, I think it's easier to notice an androgynous woman simply because she probably isn't wearing make up or dresses or heels, ya know? Fashion is probably the main reason it's easier to pick a female androgene out of a crowd.