1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do so many people dislike gays? :/

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TyraBanksIsFierce, Jan 29, 2008.

1. TyraBanksIsFierce

I don't get it,

I mean theres alot of religious people that don't like gays but doesn't that go against the whole "Jesus/God loves everyone" thing?

Also,

Weren't all gay rights going to be banned in America at one point? Whats the deal with that? Its not like we're doing anything wrong:confused:

2. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because people can't accept differences and even if it doesn't have any impact on their lives directly they still don't want anything that's not "normal" going on. Religions don't like it because it goes against the bible and I don't think that religions will ever be able to accept homosexuality. The way to sum it up is ignorance. People are ignorant about change and want things the same and I guess are afraid that homosexuals will be negative influences or "make people gay". But we all know that doesn't work. There are many reasons why, but I think the main reason would have to be ignorance to accept differences.

3. KatoKumi

They misread scriptures.

Basically.

4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan Guest

(Willful?) ignorance runs amok when ultraconservatism/traditionalism are upheld at all costs in pathetic denial of the fact that the Zeitgheist is and always will be a shapeshifter.

^ That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Don't worry. In a few hundred years (or much sooner), "homophobia" will have slipped into the the wordsewer of obsoletism, nestled (un)comfortably between "Republican" and "heteronormativity." :wink:

5. CrimsonThunder

Because they don't like a lot of stuff homos do, gay sex and act flamboyantly.

6. chrisb

Basically it's people trying to find a reason not to like someone other then the simple fact they don't like them so they try to find every reason in this book aka the bible to say they do, instead of just saying flat out i don't like you.......

My cousin is very religious and is pretty homophobic i'd love to have a long discussion with her but i don't want to cause problems in the family as her mother and mine are best friends since childhood so it would kill me to hurt that at all even though i'd love to have a lengthy verbal debate without spewing hate...

7. bleep

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is my opinion on the issue:

People like power; people like to feel superior. I am talking generally, of course, and there are thousands upon thousands, millions upon millions, of good people out there; but when you talk about humans as a collective "species" we are filled with vices. I mean, if the human race was fair, loving, caring, et cetera then communism would work -- but it doesn't. Realistically, if the whole world tried, we could end poverty, discrimination, so on and so forth. The trouble is that we are selfish and greedy -- some much more than others, obviously -- even if that is only a small portion of who we are and, most of the time, we overcome that selfishness to be good human beings.

The thing is that you can only be rich and powerful if others are less rich and powerful. I mean, if everyone in the world was a millionaire, no one would be poor, but no one would be rich -- everyone would just be equal. So we have to hoist ourselves above others somehow. We can have more money, we can criticise their clothes, we can criticise the way they act; it doesn't matter, as long as we criticise something to make ourselves feel better than they are.

One of the ways to do this is by repressing "minority groups". If you've got dark skin, you're less of a person; if you're female, you're less of a person; if you're gay, you're less of a person -- ideas like these allow people to lift themselves above vast numbers of people. If you're a male, suddenly you're better than over half the human race. How wonderful does that feel?

I don't know if that all made sense, or if it got my point across in the way I wanted it to, but it is the best I can do for now.

"If we were to wake up some morning and find that everyone was the same race, creed and colour, we would find some other cause for prejudice by noon."
    --George Aiken

8. Louise

As human biengs we are meant to by highly evolved but when push comes to shove we are all basicly animals and our basic instinct is to fear and mistrust that which we don't understand.

Since 90% of the population is straight the 10% left over are a wierd and strange bunch given to strange sexual practices that straight people either proclaim to find 'disgusting' or secretly rather exciting if they could only admit it to themselves.

To feel safe from this 'threat' of homosexuality it easier to band together and mock, keep them at arms length in case it is infectious and hide behind religious teachings in order to justify their actions than to examine homosexuality more closely and possibly have to face things about themselves that they would rather deny.

I knew nothing of homosexuality a few months ago, when I had to face up to things it seemed all very strange and frightening to me, there is so much negative media coverage and ghastly stereotypes that for someone who hasn't bothered, or had reason to, look more closely, homosexuality is a dirty word to be snikkered about.

It is easier to make the devil of what you don't know than to embrace it.

So I would say in answer to this question... Lack of education, too much misinformation and fear of understanding in what it means to be gay.

9. pirateninja

Because they aren't comfortable enough in their own sexuality to be comfortable with others. Plain and simple.

10. Psychedelic Bookmarks

pirateninja has got it. gay people challenge the gender and sexual stereotypes that most people conform to. that's very challenging. and it makes them jealous :grin:

11. Ty

Ty Guest

Because of a very old book.

12. Girl

Because they're afraid, and humans hate what they fear.

13. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think Louise pretty much summed it up perfectly. Too many people choose to hate and be afraid of things they cannot understand rather than accept it, or even ignore it.

It shows how narrowminded they are if they think everybody sohuld be 'normal' like them. I dread to think how fucked up the world would be if we all had to be the same just so we were 'normal'. Everybody is different in millions of ways, why sexual orientation needs to be amplified as being an uber shameful change is just ridiculous.

14. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because they're insecure. They want to be 'cool' and they think putting people down like that is cool. It isn't. But they think it is.

15. Temujin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    QFT

16. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

People can't accept differences....

17. Hollywood

Exactly. and that people are afraid of change.

18. Tokarov

Tokarov Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes. Exactly that.

19. Rizpaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Because ignorance is bliss. People choose to remain ignorant, instead of accept what they don't understand.

20. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    From personal experience of conversations with people who don't like gays and obviously didn't know that i was gay. I found that much of it comes from the plain and simple "eww" factor of being gay. Most people don't understand it and don't care to undersand it, so they simple just like to keep gay people at a distance and put them down because they see them as strange. They see gay relationships as weird and don't understand it so they see their relationships as less than their own. In many cases rather than analize and try to understand gay people they justify their dislike with religous texts.