1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New names

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Waterlilly, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Waterlilly

Does anybody ever wish they could change their name? I'm not talking talking about changing your name for gender reasons, but just to distance yourself from all the baggage of the past. For me my name brings to mind the person I was that I have worked so hard to change. When I am on something like this sight when I get to use another name I feel lighter inside. It's kind of like when you feel ready to face the new school year, even though the last one was awful, because you have a new outfit.
    Does anyone else feel this way? Has anyone done anything about it?

(I know this isn't really LGBT related but it is about being comfortable with yourself, so it's a bit relevant right?).

2. darlig ulv

I have an alter ego, Santiago, who fights bandits in the rainforests of South America with a machete, he has a ponytail and is a notorious womanizer. Obviously never happening.

3. J Snow

I actually don't feel a very strong connection with any name.

My birth name is Michael, but in middle school I started getting called Larry by everyone in school. To this day I'm still referred to as Larry by roommates and a large portion of my friends. I never really like it, I was just ambivalent towards it. Now that I am trying to pick a girl's name, its very difficult. I like Michelle, Lauren, and Alyssa, but when people use them to refer to me, I don't really feel like it is my identity. I feel like I'm stealing someone else's name and applying it towards myself.

In other words, I hate names and people asking me for my name has always been a cause of anxiety. I hate coming up with online handles and video game character names too.

4. Mrs Dani

Out Status:
    A few people
    I hate my first name, Amanda, It reminds me of my parents (who I hate). So I go by Dani.

5. FollowtheFreeman

"Hello, I'm Gavin."

Hello, Gavin.

"Personally I love my name, I feel it expresses myself quite well. It's unique and flamboyant. People can get a sense of who I am just by my name. And that is why I love it."

Sorry if I came off as pretentious. I just had to do the whole 'self-help group' thing.

6. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really care for my name. I only like it since it's not extremely common. And people usually think of it as a gay name(thanks Lance Bass) lol, which is fine with me though since the shoe fits! :grin:

7. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I used to wish I could go by Shannon instead of Owen, since Shannon is a gender-neutral name, but I've come to realize that the name Owen is so uncommon that most people have no preconceived notions of what an Owen is like, since they've never known any Owens. So people don't tend to assume anything about me from my name. That's how I like it.

I also really the name Sarah and easily could see myself going by it. But I'm too lazy to get people to call me by a new name. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

Idk... I think my name suits me fairly well. Julia. Its different. You don't see many Julias there days. But sometimes I wish it were something a little more androgynous and had less syllables. I particularly like Jay and Ash.

9. Tabb

My name is Travis. Dunno if I like it or not. I'd love to be named/called Skye, Raffin, or Tabb. c:

10. Aielar

I want to change my name from my birth name to remove any connection to my biological parents - they're not nice people, and I don't want anything to do with them or be connected with them in anyway. Plus I don't really like my name, but I don't know what I would change it to if I did get it changed. I'm too lazy to get people to call me something else though lol, and too cheap to pay to get my name legally changed :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Gallatin

I'm fine with my first name. My parents nearly named me Hayden, which would've been amazing, but still, I like my first name. What I don't like is my last name. It's not so much the name, but what I associate with it. When I think of my last name, I think of my father and grandfather, neither of whom I'm on good terms with.

12. ZtheTenor

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've always liked my name for its uniqueness. Zane. I only know one other Zane, and believe it or not, he's bi! Small world....

But I've always wanted to see what it would be like to go by Mackenzie, my middle name. It's gender neutral, and it has an original aspect.

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a Nick, and I freaking hate that name and the fact that all of my names are recycled from someone else in the family.

When I try to advance my career in a few years and move away to like Washington, California or Oregon, I do plan to change my name to Adrian.

14. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nick is a cute name. :icon_mrgr

15. Jared

I like my first name, Jared. But I despise my middle and last names (all the males in my family have the same middle name), since I have a lot of baggage from an abusive father I want to get rid of those names and plan to once I finish college. I like the name Cornella, but I could never see myself using it other than online, just a bit too different to use in real life for me.

16. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While I don't like the fact that my parents simply switched my father's first and last name (though I suppose I can understand his reason - he always hated his first name and wish he could have my name), I do like the fact that Cameron is gender neutral, as Owen mentioned with "Shannon" (though I always think female with that since I have a female cousin with the name :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

Julian and Leo or something would have been cool, but whatever.

Could you maybe take your mother's maiden name?

17. aeva

I was named by my mom (who died when I was little) after her gay best friend, who has been a huge supporter in everything I've done. She says my name in the tape she made for me right before she died, and I start crying every time I hear her say it. I wouldn't change it for the world, although I do usually go by a shortened version.

I always use Aeva when online though (for forums, blogs, accounts, etc.). It's also what I would name a daughter if I were to ever have one.

18. sunnii

I don't like my real name. I find my 1st name so dull and tbh because of the "baggage" as well. I hate my last name even more. People always compliment it but Ive never liked it.

I wish I could be just known by 1 name like Seal or Madonna lol

19. armsoutfarther

My name is Dallas. I was named after the city (because my dad lived in Texas and he lived in Dallas for a while) but I honestly don't really like it that much. You rarely see people with the name and 99% of the time, when people haven't met me yet, they think I'm a boy, which gets annoying after a while. I really like my middle name, which is Elizabeth, and I've been thinking about going by that when I'm older.

I was going to be named Melissa or Victoria but my mom didn't like either of the names and my dad jokingly said "Dallas" and she thought it was a great idea...

20. NordicSpirit

My names Helen and I'm kind of blah about it. I'd love to change it to Lena but I'm too lazy to bother.