1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Afternoon my dears,

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mimerio, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Mimerio

Just a random question for all of you.

Are you more attracted to someone physically or mentally?
    For me it's more mentally like a 60 / 40 situation.

2. mentally way more than psychically.

i think if she was immature, i mean more than just a bit cuz everyone is immature now and again, but if she was really immature then i wouldnt date her no matter how pretty she was.

ive done it before when i adted a girl i knew was immature but i gave her a chance and it ended up a mess lol. there are ways you can disagree but if someone is immature they turn lots of things into arguments that dont need to be because they dont know how to talk about things in a civil way and usually behave in a different way and dont seem to use initiative about a lot of things either.

also if a girl isnt mentally strong (i.e clingy/needy), thats a no for me aswell. i dont want someone i have to look after/cant bare the thought of not being in a relationship.

so in short mentally for me.

3. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure "mentally" is the right word here, so I'll just say "for personality" instead.

It's usually the case that people find others attractive physically at first, but when it comes down to it, it's personality that seals the deal or makes or breaks it. I've had times when I was attracted to a girl based on her looks and then found out how bad a personality she had and immediately found her unattractive. Then there are other times where a girl would not strike me as attractive at first but then I come to find myself attracted to her after learning more about her, talking to her, seeing her personality, etc. Then there are those rare times when I meet a girl who is equally attractive inside and out, and that's really great.

For me, what's inside really does count more (though looks do play a part in solidifying an attraction). I've seen it enough times where someone becomes more attractive to me as I get to know them.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am somewhat demi, so I'd go with 75% mental, 25% physical. A person with a good personality can make me attracted to them even if they look a little bit weird or unattractive in some way (with limits: I still won't date considerably overweight people), but a person with a bad personality can't save it for me even she's smoking hot.

5. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

As I've always said, personality is what will make or break a relationship, but I'm far more likely to try to make that connection with someone if I'm physically attracted to them (unless they make the first move). So as the relationship progresses, the mental attraction matters more than it did before, but for me, the physical attraction is still undeniably important. I'm a very sexual guy, and I won't be able to find a relationship without "relations" very satisfying for very long. And while I've never tried having sex with a guy I wasn't attracted to before, I'm really not sure I could see it working out. But who knows?

I can say, though, that a guy having a repugnant personality won't stop me from finding him attractive. My sexuality is extremely physical in nature, so I'm very much able to appreciate a guy's looks removed from his personality. Him having a good personality can make me pine for something deeper than just physical relations when I see him, but even if his personality is bad, I can still look at him and go, "Damn he's fine!" :slight_smile:

6. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't seem to form a physical attraction unless I've made a mental attraction first, weird right?

7. nate16

I agree with Owen. For me, there needs to be some line of physical attraction, followed by a mental/emotional attraction. I've met plenty of guys whom I'm physically attracted to, however their personality made them an ugly person overall, and therefore was a turn off. I guess its about 50/50 or 60/40 for me. (physical/emotional)

8. julia

It's about 60/40 Physical/Emotion. There has to be physical attraction there for me first. But someone's personality can definitely make me more attracted to them.

9. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They are two different types of attraction, so I like really don't like to relate them to each other. In terms of physical appeal, I gauge physical attractiveness; in terms of relationship/personality appeal, I gauge mental attraction.

So, if you're asking about "what's attractive to you in a relationship," it's only personality. Physical attraction doesn't factor in. Not for me, anyways.

10. Snowball

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personality means everything to me. It is so easy to fix your physical and outfit, but very difficult to change the personality.

11. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

40%Physical attraction, 60%Emotional attraction :3

12. HatterMad

Wow.

I'd say initially, 75% mental and 25% physical looks, but....I'd still get to know someone if they were like totally disfigured or scarred and marred...and I could see falling in love with someone awesome, even if they were mangled....it's just that initially I think it would take me longer to relax around them and get to know them....that works the other way too...if someone were a prefect 10 looker it would initially make it harder for em to talk to meht.

13. FollowtheFreeman

Both are equally important to me, but personality is king. If that makes sense? It probably doesn't, but oh well.

I'm really, really, really, REALLY, picky when it comes to personality though. I've met only one other person who I've felt their personality was exactly what I wanted.

14. Thandrami

I have gotten a lot of crushes due to physical features but my crushes on people for their personality or mentally it is so much more intense

15. HarleyQ

The more I like what's inside, the more attractive the outsides get :slight_smile:

16. needshelp

it's easy for me to be physically attracted to a guy but that's exactly what it means. physically attracted to him. that's about it. doesn't mean that i'll want to date him because i may not be attracted to his personality. now if his personality was cool and we got along well, then that would mean way more to me than someone who looks good.

17. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I think most people are attracted to others physically first since it is all you can associate that person with until you get to "know" them. I find many guys attractive, but when it comes down to it and what sets each of them apart is their personality. To me, if they have a shitty personality, then the best looks in the world can't save them since I wouldn't be able to put up with it day to day. Overall I'd say I'm more attracted to personality, definitely. And like others have said, someone with a good personality can become more physically attractive the more you get to know them.

18. Bree

At LEAST 80-20, maybe 90-10. I need to feel them, the body means nothing unless they're considerably overweight or something (and I like curves on girls).

19. Mrs Dani

Out Status:
    A few people
    I have to say at first it is more physical, I won't really want to go and talk to someone that I am thinking about dating if I think they are butt ugly. But personality is very important too.

20. PurpleCrab

To me, physical attraction is primary and almost only physical. I will have sex once or twice with a very attractive person who has the worse personality ever.

I even got caught dating a couple of those pretties just for their faces and bodies... no good.

The thing is I can hardly resist the physical urge. The good side of it is I totally separate physical and emotional attraction (as being two entirely different things). It really does need both to have a functioning relationship.