1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only lesbians put their hands in their pockets?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by musikk021, Sep 22, 2012.

1. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was thinking about how to tell if a girl is gay, and I suddenly remembered something that I've heard/read about a lot: that you can tell a girl is a lesbian if she puts her hands in her pant pockets when she's standing/walking.

Obviously, there isn't a hard science for this, but is this really a good indication that a girl's gay? As far as I can recall, I've never seen any of my straight female friends walking around with their hands in their pockets, but I do myself. I think it's seen as more of a masculine trait, so straight girls don't do it? What do y'all think? Do you girls do it, too? Ever notice whether your straight female friends do it?

2. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Really? That would make half of the girls at my school gay.
    I doubt it's real, though there could be a slight correlation.

3. NordicSpirit

I'm gay and I never talk around with my hands in my pockets.

4. Ianthe

I don't think this is reliable.

5. brocub

I'm a lesbian! (!)

Except for the girl part... just the pants part.

6. Waterlilly

I can't not put my hands in my pockets. I'm sure that's just a coincidence though.

7. TearDropFairy91

I don't and I'm bi I agree I doubt it's real

8. 99% of the time i never wear trousers so..... hmm. but when i was younger and i wore jeans then yeah i did. but im not sure its reliable lol.

9. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I doubt that it's reliable. There might be a correlation with which sub-culture the girl belongs to. This might explain where the idea came from because I imagine "butch" people of all genders are more likely to put hands in their pockets than more feminine people, and women who are masculine are often perceived as lesbian. Like most traditionally "masculine" traits, there are plenty of sub-cultures, including geeks and some varieties of artistic folk, that also include it. When individual variation is included in the assessment, I would say it isn't reliable indicator of orientation at all.

10. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This made me laugh. I mean, seriously?

IMHO: You can tell a girl is a lesbian if she LIKES GIRLS. Simple as that.

11. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know this isn't a reliable way to tell if a girl's gay, but it's just something I've heard often. Watch LGBT videos on YouTube or read other articles, and I almost always see people say this. Just asking...and I wasn't trying to be stupid.

12. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that you yourself are stupid. Just, the only true way to tell if a girl is gay is to ask her outright, and if she says she is, then she is.

13. speedboy3

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well if it is true then someone really messed up with my gender

14. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I know. It was just a weird thing I heard that actually seemed to be quite true as far as I've noticed. None of my straight female friends ever put their hands in their pockets. And whenever I see a girl with her hand in her pocket, it's usually the butch/tomboy girls who do. Either way, I know there's no real accurate way to tell someone's gay besides asking them. But sometimes, when you don't feel comfortable doing that, visual cues are the only thing you got left :icon_redf

15. Pexetta

I rarely see women with their hands in their pockets, unless they're wearing a winter coat with those sort of high pockets on the waist. I have no evidence to suggest that those women are gay though.

16. Caoimhe Fayre

I agree and definitely understand where you are coming from, but we can also drive ourselves completely crazy trying to guess whether or not someone is gay (as you can tell by all the "do you think he/she is gay?" threads)... it's kind of a difficult spot, isn't it? Do we drive ourselves crazy trying to guess, or do we start every conversation with "for the record, are you gay? or bisexual? or straight? or transgender? anything else deeply personal I should be asking, on the off chance that you are the "one" I've been waiting for?" and thereby confirm our insanity to the world?

17. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I know there's really no way to tell, and everyone asks the same thing when they've got a crush on someone whose orientation is not known/apparent. For those who are brave enough to outwardly ask someone their orientation, I give them mad props. That takes major guts, and I applaud them if they end up dating someone just by having the courage to ask directly. However, there's no way in hell I could do that. I'm comfortable with myself being gay, and I've completely accepted it a long time ago. And I have no problem with gay people knowing I'm gay. However, I haven't been able to come out to any straight friends for fear of how they might react. Even though that is, I don't care if random straight people know I'm gay. But when it comes to my friends or someone I'm attracted to, I don't want to give away my sexuality right away. I wouldn't want a girl I like to think I'm hitting on her or being creepy, but I also have no way of knowing her orientation. Dilemmas, dilemmas...

18. Donice

I put my hands in my pockets and i'm a lesbian

however I know plenty of straight girl who do this , one example would be the straight teacher I have a crush on...sigh if only putting your hands in your pockets did make you gay.

19. LailaForbidden

haha i do this all the time. I also play with my lips, which is supposedly supposed to be a common thing amoung lesbians. I dunno... personally i think people stereotype too much.

20. suninthesky

It definitely sets off my gaydar when another girl does it, and I do it myself.