1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could you sleep with someone who was HIV positive?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SriManayaDasan, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Personally, and this is going to make me sound horrible, I wouldn't.

Unless I fell in love with someone who was positive, I don't think I could have sex with someone who was.

2. I wouldn't, either. Even if I was in love.

3. castle walls

If we were in a relationship and I found out before we slept together then yes. I wouldn't avoid dating someone because they have an std

#3 castle walls, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes. We have safer sex practices.

5. MichaelB

Truthfully?

I would have to have been dating him for a while before I even considered it. Otherwise, no..

6. Ventus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No. I don't have a death wish.

If the person with HIV truly cared about you, they'd be against it themselves.

7. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know, this is hard to answer. I want to say yes since it's possible to have "safe" sex with people, but I feel like everytime we did, I'd have it in the back of my head that something could go wrong. :frowning2:

8. vyvance

Nope. I care more about myself than that.

9. Fiddledeedee

I don't know. Very probably not, since even safe sex has risks, but I'm not entirely sure.

10. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Oh…this could be a problem for my friend…he actually is HIV positive because he was abused as a child. Would you date someone if it wasn't their fault?

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here.

There are a couple of clarifications: The only safe sex is masturbation by yourself. Otherwise, what we have is "safer" sex. Condoms break or fail. Cum can get into an open cut or someone's eye. There are lots of ways in which the virus can be transmitted, even to people who are playing safe and being careful.

And yet, there are plenty of couples with mixed HIV status, where the HIV- person remains HIV- over a long period of time.

So what it boils down to is one's risk tolerance, and how much values one's own health and safety, juxtaposed against the feelings for the other person. That isn't a decision one can make on a whim, and, to be honest, because of the impact of oxytocin on new relationships, one can't really make a reasonable decision for several months or more after starting to see someone.

So I think it's something each person needs to weigh carefully for him or herself. I don't think there's one answer, even for a single person. It's going to vary with the overall state of the relationship.

12. Caoimhe Fayre

I don't think it's about blame. it's not really ever the person's "fault" if they are unlucky enough to contract an STD - I mean, almost all human beings have engaged in activity where it would be possible to contract HIV, so it's not about blame or guilt or anything... it's just about increased chance of contracting HIV and wanting a long life.

I really don't know. it depends. I'm hopefully a "one gal forever" kinda lesbian, and if that's the case, and if the woman I fall in love with who ends up being my one has HIV, well... I might rather have a shorter lifespan sharing intimacy with her anyway, than a long life without her. for example, if the woman I love currently were to be HIV positive, it wouldn't change how I feel. the only thing that would discourage me from pursuing a romantic relationship with her would be if she were to ask me not to. an STD, even a potentially fatal STD, would be no barrier at all in my mind.

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd use an oral barrier for sure.

I can understand the fear, but I think there are reasons to be hopeful about serodiscordant couples having a health sexual life. Consider the results of the following study:

(Emphasis added. "A longitudinal study of human immunodeficiency virus transmission by heterosexual partners. European Study Group on Heterosexual Transmission of HIV." Cited in Condoms: Effectiveness, History and Availability)

Now, this doesn't mean your chances of being infected are zero, but I still think it's good data considering we're talking about long periods of time and a large number of occurrences. There might be data out there contradicting this or problems with the methodology, but if this is any good, then the effectiveness of condoms is very close to 1.

Of course, this study doesn't answer questions about lesbian safer sex practices (sorry, I'll try to go find another study.)

#13 Pret Allez, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  14. HatterMad

If I were in love with him, then yes. Sure, we'd be as safe as we could be, and probably not have anal sex as often as otherwise....I don't think I'd worry about it too much, expshselly today with the advances they've made in safer sex, education, and the medications to prolong life and keep it from turning to the AIDS virus....There is even this:

Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis

And even if he didn't WANT to have sex to protect me, I'd still want to be close to him and share that with him.

15. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Boy would I have to know that person for a long time, and love them infinitely. Otherwise I would be completely terrified of engaging in any kind of sexual activity with them...

16. Jared

Most likely not since I would constantly worry about contracting HIV and I know that condoms can fail.

17. CuriousKate

Minnesota and hopefully Texas before next month
    If the person told me first when the relationship is getting to that point then, yes. We'll just have super safe sex and I'll wait until marriage. Sorry, but I'm not gonna have sex with this person who I think I'm gonna be with then wake up one morning and know something's off then this person leaves like 'Yeah, sorry I gave you HIV. We can still be friends right?'

18. LailaForbidden

i'll answer with a resounding no. Maybe its cruel, but I like to err on the side of saftey.

19. secretguyX

If I loved the person, and had been dating them for a while, yes. I wouldn't have sex with anyone I didn't love anyways. But if they told me after, I'd be extremely pissed off. I'm not having sex anytime soon though.

20. ProjektSirenz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's not fair to straight up say no, and that it's a lot more complex.

If you were with someone HIV+ would you date them and try a sexless relationship or would it be an instant deal breaker?
    Because if it was a deal breaker aren't you judging them on something that is not necessarily their fault? Or something that doesnt define who they are as a person?
    Just how a lot of people have automatic judgements when they hear I'm gay, but my being gay isn't what makes me who I am or defines my ability to love and care for another person.
    I read some comments on here like 'no I value my life to much' or something like that. And yes i understand where you are coming from, but imagine if you were the one that was HIV+, imagine everything that you will have to go through, and then to be rejected at the drop of a hat for something that can be controlled

So for me there is no way I would let something like that stand in the way of potential happiness with another person. As there are so many factors and ways to work around such an issue