1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

moving for education

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by flyinhernikes, Sep 24, 2012.

1. strange question but would you ever move to a place where you didnt know anyone so you could finish your education (for a year/2 years) if the current place you lived didnt have any options education wise? or does it seem a bit of a stupid thing to do?

im thinking of moving to sheffield to study in college as my current college or any nearer home dont want me lol, i could get a transfer in my current job as they have a store in sheffield so i wont be out of work, and i could afford a place to live if i lived in a shared house or even on my own.

its a big move and im still undecided but if i leave my education any longer i dont think ill ever complete it through feeling too old as ive had 4 years out since i left school.

has anyone ever done this? did it work out?
    i dont have any fears as im used to moving every few years but...... i think its sort of an excuse to move away aswell. i dont like staying in the same place for too long. :confused:

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Particularly for college, a lot of people move far away to go to school. It's easy to make friends in college, since so many people are moving from somewhere else. I'd say go for it! And the 4 year age difference won't matter either; I didn't go back to school full time until I was 26, and no one noticed or cared.

3. timo

I moved for college to a city where I knew nobody. I don't regret it at all, it's one of the best things I've ever done. Meeting people was fairly easy, especially when you're still in college/uni/something else.

4. Lad123

Go for it! :slight_smile:

So why Sheffield if you're in Scotland? Would it not be better to choose a place a bit closer to home?

(For the guys in the US, college in the UK is different to college in the US. College is a 2 year course after high school and before college/uni.)

5. i would be closer to home but its literally not possible. every course im interested in up here is full time and i cant give up my job for college for fear of not getting a new one. and all the part time courses round here arent ones i want to do. so a course in sheff college part time suits me perfect :slight_smile:

6. prism

Like Chip said, moving away for school is very common. :slight_smile:
    Education in the UK seems very different from how it is in the US, but there are a lot of international students at my school that are from the UK. How's that for 'far'?

I moved to New York City for school. I didn't know anyone that lived or went to school here-- oh, and it was 800 miles away from my home.

From my experience, the moving and adapting to a new place was a huge part of my education. Besides the fear of not finishing school, what else makes you hesitant about moving?

7. caughtbywitness

Well I'm thinking of going to study abroad for uni, so yeah! Why not, new places, explore new things :slight_smile:

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The good thing about college is that most people are not from the area where the college is located. I know that at my school, we have many out of state and international students. We also have many students from all over the state. Because of this, most people are looking to make friends since they have come to a place where they do not have any existing friends. I usually have a harder time making friends and I have a ton of friends here at school. I also have a ton of friends that are older than I am.