1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So am I the only one who is bothered by this?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tiny Catastrophe, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Tiny Catastrophe

This probably may sound stupid to some people but I was wondering if anyone else thought like me. Would it bother you if someone else called your significant other babe or baby? Some girls that my girlfriend used to hang out with (they were party buddies and not even really friends) have recently started talking to her again and they call her babe and baby and that bothers me. I feel like that's not something you call a friend especially when that friend is in a relationship. I feel like that I'm the only one who should be calling her that. I feel like this sounds more and more stupid as I keep going but that's how I feel. Anyone else feel that way or am I alone in my stupidity lol?

2. Omg that would annoy me so much too

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes because that's an inappropriate encroachment into the space which is your relationship.

I actually hate both words and find them to be belittling and problematic. I wouldn't use them or tolerate them from my partner.

#3 Pret Allez, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  4. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I'd find it obnoxious as well.

5. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

No, I would be pissed, too.

6. secretguyX

I'd hate that too.

7. Harve

I call it to my friends... ironically. But then again, I used to say 'dear lord' and 'good gracious' ironically, then realised I was saying it all the time. So there's time!

8. Bebop

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Unlike most of the above people I think you're completely over reacting, if they all call her that I'd say that is just the way they talk to their friends and it has little if any meaning behind it.

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It really depends for me. Some people call their friends babe or baby. If it's someone like that then it would not bother me. If they had never called anybody babe or baby before and then they started calling me that, I would be a bit annoyed.

10. kinar70

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally, it would bother me too, but I think it all depends on context. A lot of people use 'babe' or 'baby' in everyday conversation. If they use it only with her then maybe they have other intentions. If you feel that uncomfortable about it then you should talk about it with your girlfriend. Let her know how you feel and discuss what it means to her. It may sound trite but words only have the power we give them. Those words are obviously important to you, but they might not have the same power when spoken by others.

11. aeva

I do it a lot. Babe, baby, hun, sweetheart, love, darlin...all of it. I hang out with almost exclusively males (and occasionally their girlfriends), and none of them have ever had a problem with it. We've all been friends for years, and I'm totally out to all of them, so they know I'm not a threat to their relationship. I would never say it to somebody that I didn't know extremely well, and if I had the slightest inkling that it was not ok with either them or their significant other, I would make my best effort to stop.

I've actually had the opposite happen- quite a number of my friends have thanked me for using such terms of endearments towards then. I seem to be friends with those that are...less than emotionally stable (even my step-mom calls them my patients), so I think it makes them feel a little bit extra loved.

My dad does it too, although with him it's usually darling, doll or love.

12. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

That would bother me if that happened!

13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps I'm in a minority, but I think it's tacky to refer to anyone, male or female, as "babe", "honey", "dear" or anything of the sort outside of a primary relationship. I know a lot of gay guys do it, but I find it sort of phony and annoying.

14. SydneyChick

SydneyChick Guest

I'd still be pretty annoyed, I mean I have been in the past. As was said above though, I believe it all has to do with the context they are saying it. I mean, some people use such words as a greeting. I think it's best to ask your girlfriend about it, kind of voice your opinions on the matter. See how she feels about it, I think that's your best shot.

15. wc1

wc1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dont feel like it is an issue in terms of them being in a relationship - I just find it incredibly irritating either way. You are not on the Hills or some other crap reality tv show, god I hate it when I hear someone referring to a friend or other half as 'babe'!

16. HarleyQ

I wouldn't like it either.

Have you mentioned that it bothers you? I had a problem like that with my ex and we were able to convince her friends to stop. It's worth a thought anyway :slight_smile:

17. joeyblack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess it depends. I used to live down south and people from round the coast would greet each other like "What's up baaaaby?" This was said be males and females to both males and females. I hardly think they were meaning anything other than a friendly greeting. I guess you'd have to include body language to see how it is intended.

18. musicgeek13

musicgeek13 Guest

I think the most important thing is to talk to her. You and your girlfriends feelings are the most important so just tell her how you feel and listen to how she feels about it.

19. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Personally I don't like the term 'babe' at all. (Don't know, sounds sleazy)
    I agree it's definitely a private term so it should not be used to adress your partner.