1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learning French

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ultrabluecheese, Sep 26, 2012.

1. ultrabluecheese

So...this semester, I have an ungodly amount of free time on my hands, and I thought I should cultivate myself in some way. So, I decided that I'll try to learn a new language: French. I bought a French workbook for beginners, but I'm not sure how far that'll take me since I won't be in an actual class to hear the language (and also to ask an instructor to clear up any confusion I may have).

I do have some background in Spanish (I've been learning Latin-American Spanish for seven years now & grew up speaking some Spanish), and I know that both Spanish and French are both Romantic languages. That alone implies that they must have some similarities—but to what degree? Are they grammatically similar at all—in terms of both written and spoken forms? If they are, then that would make learning French a little easier. :lol:

2. Pexetta

Spanish and French are not really similar. I tried learning Spanish and I didn't find my knowledge of French to be very helpful in the process.

3. Eleanor Rigby

Well, French and Spanish do have quite a lot of similarities in terms of vocabulary, but that doesn't apply so much to the grammar.
    I'm French and I studied spanish at school but I never was very good at it. I was far better in English. I can still understand some spanish, but I can't talk at all anymore (except for very basic structures).
    Let me know if you need a hand in French, I'd be happy to help :slight_smile:
    Take care, Cécile

4. Emberstone

I am two classes into my first term of french, and all I have learned is 'tu', 'vous', and 'Ça va'.

5. Alln

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think french and spanish are that similar, but french isn't a hard language to learn by any means in my opinion. It's definitely a rewarding language to learn.

6. FJ Cruiser

French and Spanish not that similar? That's strange. They have very different pronunciations, but from what I know of French (I'm quite familiar with Spanish), they're fairly similar. They're both Western Romance, basically cousins as far as languages go. Your knowledge in Spanish should definitely help, especially with vocabulary and probably verb structures.

#6 FJ Cruiser, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  7. Mane

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yes. Spanish is very similar to French. I'm a native Spanish speaker and without having any knowledge of French, I can understand a lot when reading texts in french. They're quite similar in words and in sintax, even more than italian...

8. ultrabluecheese

Thanks for the input, everyone. So far, I've been gleaning that I can (hopefully) pick up French a little quickly since I've had a few years of Spanish under my belt. My main concern for now is listening to it, and considering the fact that I'm not in a class, this one is going to be a little tricky.

I guess I can watch Amelie on constant repeat. :lol:

And Cecile: I'll be very happy to take you up on that offer! So if you get some message written completely in (broken) French out of the blue, you'll definitely know why. :slight_smile:

9. sunnii

I believe French and Spanish are fairly similar. I did French and Italian ay school and when I started Spanish I hit the ground running and found it a bit straight forward.