1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Support Group?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IrishLad93, Sep 26, 2012.

1. IrishLad93

Hey..

I just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with LGBT support groups as a way of meeting/finding friends and basically to just feel more 'normal'! Ive never been to a support group and GSA is not an option as I am no longer in highschool, I wish I had come out of the closet sooner as I think I would have had a lot more options during that time..but that's all in hindsight.

Do you recommend support groups and if you have been to one what are they like? I think the biggest factor that puts me off going to one is my anxiety and nerves of not knowing what its going to be like and not knowing what to expect. Im very good at procrastinating.

Also the distance, the closest LGBT support groups are around and hour+ away from where I live... is it not a bit weird if someone from a completely different area thats almost an hour and a half away shows up?

(+ any tips on finding local support groups?...as I mentioned above, there doesn't seem to be anything nearby which just makes it twice as hard, :/! It seems really difficult to find anything and Im wondering if I'm looking in the wrong places.)

ALL advice is appreciated :icon_mrgr

:help:

2. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    Well, in my opinion, support groups aren't the best, but only because I have trouble expressing my feelings in front of more than one person.

But, other people I know who do go to support groups do say that they are quite helpful. If you yourself don't find it useful, you really don't have to keep going.

Hope this helps!