1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online Dating/Chat Dating/EC Dating

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JustinRandom, Sep 27, 2012.

1. JustinRandom

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I personally find nothing wrong with this. What's your take?

2. TearDropFairy91

Me either in fact that's how i met my fiance' and i've dated alot online cause I'm not really that great at talking in real life, and you don't have much choice, when you're surrounded by red necks ugh! and when the girls are maybe all straight.

3. HarleyQ

I think forums are greats ways to meet new people with similar interests.
    I don't really have an informed opinion about online dating. I've never tried it, but I don't see the harm :slight_smile:
    Just follow your bliss :slight_smile:

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Online dating is fine in principle. You just have to realize what your strategies need to be to maintain your safety. It's not for everyone.

EC dating, as I understand it, is not encouraged, but not prohibited in principle. Certainly, I can be corrected be staff if I am wrong, the reason it is discouraged is that it's not the point of this community, even tangentially. Empty Closets is for providing support to people of minority sexual and romantic orientations and gender identities, their family members and significant others who in turn provide support to them, and to those who are questioning. In order to do so, they need to provide very strict security, especially around predatory behavior. With the anonymity we have on the internet, this danger is extremely pronounced. The appearance of inappropriate behavior on the part of members can potentially injure us all, as Empty Closets could be held legally liable as an organization, which poses a danger to this community.

Of course, love happens, and I don't want to minimize that or be a killjoy. I just feel that it's worth explaining a kernel of the rationale, and because this is a support group, we need to all be on board the reasons for heightened security. To give you an idea, I've been by my town's friendship center (interim home for abused women escaping those relationships), and it's a fortress. Sometimes, you have to put up pointy things in order to maintain a safe space. Otherwise you couldn't protect from the dangers outside.

#4 Pret Allez, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  5. BudderMC

^ that's pretty spot-on, Pret. At least with regards to EC dating. EC is a support site first and foremost, so if you're coming here with the intent of something beyond connecting with the LGBT community in a safe environment, you're gonna need to find another site.

6. bubblyhappy

bubblyhappy Guest

I've tried online dating. its not for me.

7. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've only dated online, LDR are really difficult for a lot of reasons. The main one being physical contact. I'm trying to stick with people that are within walking distance, but I'm somewhat of a hermit so :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Crystal's Vaporeon

My first and currant boyfriend I met on a chatsite, we have been dating for over 10 months.
    We have never actually met but we have talked a couple times on Skype and nearly everyday over the phone.
    A lot of peopel have questioned my relationship asking how it can work when we have never met in person but I am perfectly happy with him and could not see mysef without him any time soon.
    And considering the town I live is (as stated by nearly every boy in my class) is full of bogans knowing I can find a great guy without having to actually move towns is great ^_^

9. needshelp

haven't been lucky with online dating. haven't done chat dating. the thing with online dating for me is that it's a headache. besides all the bs and all, you pretty much are dealing with mostly guys that are strictly business. there's no room in between to just talk to get to know each other. these guys just want to jump right into dating, a relationship, or having sex.

there was a time some months back where a guy messaged me on a site. everything was cool during the first two messages. we exchange numbers. next thing you know, the guy all of a sudden goes from just saying "hello" and "how's everything?" to suddenly talking like i'm his boyfriend and how he loves me. i went along with it for awhile with the text messages until i find more about the guy which disturbed me where i had to cut him off. i had to tell him that he needed to find somebody else and dude was acting like we were breaking up or something. dude seemed like he was a bit off. guess he found someone, i hope.

#9 needshelp, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  10. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've kinda done it... Not anywhere obvious or anything. But I did meet someone I liked, and it seemed the feeling was mutual. We had quite a bit in common. My only 2 regrets are that I'm a good few years older than him (but he was the more dominant one of us.. XP) and that we don't live in the same state.. We live close enough that a 2-hour drive to like.. Starbucks might work. But idk how he'd feel on that.

We haven't talked to each other much, though.. idk what his thoughts are.

11. rmf

rmf Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am in full agreeance of online dating! I met my Fiancee online! :slight_smile: We've lived with each other for 3.5 years now.

12. Fiddledeedee

My closest friend is someone I only know online, though we aren't too far away from each other so we intend to meet up at some point. He asked me out yesterday, and while I said no, I wouldn't be opposed to online dating.

13. J Snow

Well I met my ex-boyfriend through an online dating site. We met in person like the same day though. I'm a fan of online dating, but I'm not a fan of exclusively online dating. I just don't believe its possible to develop a true romantic relationship with someone you've never met in person. That being said, I'm not opposed to other people who choose to engage in them.

14. SwordplayBoy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, I think it's okay. It's not quite as intimate, though. I haven't really tried it, but then again, I haven't really dated anyone. :\

15. Vanc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I found my current boyfriend using an online dating website, we've been together for almost 2 months now. I was really skeptical about using these sites at first because of all the creeper stories I've read...but I'm really glad I did. We're a year apart, both go to university, chinese, and within a 30 to 45 minute drive from each other. It turned out that we also had mutual friends on Facebook as well! Of course I've also met my share of some not-so-great people through online dating, but as long you stay safe (ie. meet in public places, etc) I think it's safe. Don't knock it 'til you try it! :slight_smile:

16. TheUndiscovered

I don't think there's anything wrong with online dating especially in the LGBT community because it's harder to find someone when you're gay. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: As long as people are careful and know the threats of online communication with strangers I think it's a perk of the 21st century.

17. Colours

I agree that you shouldn't come here with the intention of finding a new partner, but like Pret said, love happens. I've had an online relationship once, it happened on a forums of an online video game and neither of us had any intention to find anyone there. It just happened and shouldn't be prohibited.

I don't really have an opinion on online dating though. I've done it (mine was exclusively online, we said we'd meet up one day but that never happened), but I was young. Right now, I probably wouldn't do it. But hey, if it works for you, I won't say a word except go for it.

I'm talking about exclusively online dating though, using dating sites and stuff is a different story. One to which I have absolutely no opinion, except that the thought never appealed to me.

#17 Colours, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  18. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Assuming we're speaking in general, I've no problem with it and I acknowledge that for many it's a much easier way to meet people since, presuming neither party is lying about who they are, they can determine whether there's a potential connection or not based on interests and whatnot.

Personally though, and this may seem odd considering how shy and how 'socially challenged' :lol: my life is right now, I'd like to avoid it as much as possible. Assuming I can crawl out of my shell, I like the idea of being able to meet or be introduced to someone in person. To get the sensation of developing feelings for another guy, not yet knowing whether he likes me back or not or as I begin dating him. On top of that, since I have no romantic experience, I don't want to expose myself to the possibility of a LDR at this point in time. Don't think I could handle it. :frowning2:

19. Harve

The internet is wonderful for discussion, chat and even making online-only friends, but for me it's not really suitable for dating. You can extend an online friendship by meeting up with people IRL, but before that I sense a limit as to how 'deep' a friendship can go.

And as for dating, I find it a bit superficial. You can express yourself 10x more (be it for the good or bad) in real life. Of course, online dating is designed to lead to meeting IRL, but I find it a bit too much based on first impressions. If everyone based their thoughts on first impressions, then christ I'd be screwed.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, as I don't actually have any experience of it.

20. bubblyhappy

bubblyhappy Guest

what I like about online dating are the statements: "Your not my type."
    "I only date guys similar to me."
    "If you wish to date me, you must completely change who you are."
    These I've heard many times.
    that's a classic.