1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

correlation between denial and other types of denial

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ticklish Fish, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Ticklish Fish

whenever we talk of people in denial to themselves, why does it seem like it's only LGBT? XD

I mean, in some parts of this country ( or even world), being a nerd/geek is still frown upon. (I mean, they're getting better now, lol.)
    and personality speaking, some people can be in denial of strange things that doesnt include your sexuality.

Anyone think that the denial discussion is sometimes too narrow? lol.

2. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the difference is when you talk about denial as in LGBT people, it is about denying something to ourselves. We generally believe it when we try to convince ourselves we are not gay, or bisexual, or anything other than straight. It is deying this to *ourselves*.

Other kinds of denial, like you're example -- denying you're a geek -- are almost always denying something to *other people*. You yourself know what you are, or who you are, but you're trying to deny it to other people. It doesn't have anything to do with being lost yourself, really.

I don't know if that makes sense, but that's the difference that I saw in your question. So when we talk about "denial" LGBT related, we mean a different kind of denial than other kinds of denial.

At least that's what I think ;p

3. Ticklish Fish

Ah!--- I see now.

I think I have gotten those denial confused.

Um, I'll let this thread die or locked or something