1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is there a perception that gay people don't want kids?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwoMethod, Sep 29, 2012.

?

Do you want kids?

1. Yes, I want to adopt

24 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. Yes, I want to have my own biological children

29 vote(s)
    26.4%
  3. Maybe

36 vote(s)
    32.7%
  4. No

21 vote(s)
    19.1%
  1. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Every time I tell someone that I want kids, they all look shocked. I've also seen discussions online where gay people seem to think that children are awful.

I want four kids for God's sake! I mean, for me, well — being gay is simply that I am emotionally, romantically and sexually attracted to men. It doesn't define anything else.

I don't know how I plan to do it, but I want my partner to have two biological children of his own, and I want to have two biological children of my own.

(Ideally, I'd love if some amazing geneticist or something was able to create a blank female gamete, or one with the necessary chromosomes, and then two male gametes could be used.)

What are your opinions?

#1 TwoMethod, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  2. timo

I don't want any children. I like kids, but not for longer than an hour or two... After that they start to annoy me. I'm always glad they go home with their parents. And, in all honesty, the 18-ish years it takes to raise a kid are 18 years I won't get back. I know it's super selfish but I only live once, and I want to live that one life to the fullest.

Besides that there's no need to add more people in this already overpopulated and - let's face it - fucked up world.

3. Salazar

I want at least two kids!

4. madi

I was sad there was no option for adopted and biological. I know I want kids, but am not sure if I want to actually birth them or adopt or a combination. This decision could also be influenced by which gender my hopefully life-long partner ends up being, but however it happens I want to be a mother later in life.

5. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it's selfish at all. For me, yeah, we only live once... but living life to the fullest in my eyes includes having children. It would be empty for me otherwise.

6. Tempest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'd like to adopt kids at around age eight, because that's about the age you can really converse with a kid and when they really start listening to you. I like kids, but babies kinda scare me; they're so fragile and I'm so panicky around fragile things.

7. Delta

I feel a little selfish for really wanting biological children. I mean, plenty of children need adopted. But I really want to have a baby. I still don't know if I'll ever be ready for kids, bur I want them.

8. SamAlex728

Pretty much this. But who knows? It could change in the future.

9. LailaForbidden

I'm horrible with children, generally. I don't know if I could handle having someone's life in my hands - knowing my actions directly affect the fate and mental well-being of that little kid for the rest of his life. I dont know. I'm terrified of screwing up. But if I do decide to have kids in the future, i'm definitley going to adopt. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. fleetingwells

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I voted 'Yes I want to adopt', but I would also really like to have my own kids as well. I can't really decide which I would want to happen first.

11. qboy

I never used to want kids, the whole idea just seamed weird and alien to me.

But as I've grown older the idea has entered my head a few times, but like Tempest says older kids offer more "appeal" (for the lack of a better word), being able to provide, love, support, care for and watch a child, a person, who had a less than stellar start to life would be amazing. Perhaps it's seeing my friends, brother, and cousins having there own kids (my brothers already being at primary school when he met their mum/his girlfriend) that's made me change my mind.

The rather random thing is that the rather vivid thoughts that enter my head have built a back story to one of them, and provided the names for the two of them - Seb and Kyle - and also provided various snapshots of their lives - odd.

12. of my own, maybe.
    but i want to foster for a year or two i know that much. but idk if i could handle kids till im mid 20s though.

13. timo

The bolded part makes perfect sense, I can understand life would feel empty without kids if you want to have them some day. Interesting to see the different way of thinking we have :slight_smile:

I want to add that I really respect people who are able to raise a kid into a decent person and have the patience to do so... I know I'd fail miserably :grin:

14. Lewis

I want biological children, or no children.

15. julia

I highly doubt I'll ever have kids but that might change if my girlfriend/wife wants them. I think I would want a biological child but I'm really fucked up and I wouldn't want them to inherit any of my bad traits.

16. prism

I am open to the idea of fostering and then potentially adopting, but I definitely want biological children. A lot of them. :slight_smile:

17. runallday4

runallday4 Guest

At the moment I don't want kids at all. I'm 17 though, and I've heard there's some biological instinct that makes you want kids more when you're older though, so who knows.

Right now my thoughts are that I don't want to spend 20 of the prime years of my life raising kids, only to have them take up a lot of my time, stress me out so I age faster, and take up a lot of my money so I can't spend it on the things I really want to in life. There are actual statistics to back up the claim that people without kids are happier.

---------- Post added 29th Sep 2012 at 05:58 PM ----------

Also, it's a lot more complicated than transferring your DNA into a female gamete. Your DNA at it's basic level is different than a females. It's called epigenetic inheritance. Due to this, your DNA is imprinted in a way that would give the child a bunch of birth defects if there were 2 male strands of DNA. If one allele is imprinted the wrong way the result is either angleman syndrome or prader-willi syndrome. Both are very serious.

18. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I've always wanted children, but I have changed my opinion on how I'd want them.

Originally, I did really want biological children (I guess a part of that desire is a genuine biological urge), but barring a miracle jump in technology, that'd also mean they'd be either mine or my husband's, not a combination of us two.

I like to think me and my husband would be awesome enough not to mind (and obviously we'd get more, so he'd have a biological kid of his own), but I do fear that in the end, it would be a source of conflict and division. What if my genetic kid and his get into a nasty fight and each of us start taking sides (even just instinctually)?

So right now I am actually preferring adoption. They'd be a "joint project", and by not being the biological kids of either of us, they'd be more "of the both of us".

But obviously to each his own preference.
    In any case, the stereotype of gay people not wanting kids doesn't seem to hold in my circle of friends. I don't have a lot of gay friends, but every single one of them does want kids someday.

19. Aielar

Yup, I do want a houseful of children someday - a combination of biological, adopted, and foster care. Four of five sounds about right to me, not sure if I'll ever find someone who also wants that many children though, since it would be an incredibly busy lifestyle. Honestly, I'm interested in a polyamory type of setup, maybe not necessarily with all of the present adults in love with each other. I believe what I want is a joint household where there's more than two adults (more like three or four) and many children. I desire a set up like that because I'm a firm believer in the philosophy where it takes a village to raise a child. In addition, I'm incredibly driven and just as much career orientated as I am family orientated, so I'd hopefully be one of the primary 'breadwinners' of the family, while other adults were the primary caregivers. This wouldn't mean I wouldn't spend time with the children in the household, but would just recognize and honor the fact that I derive a sense of satisfaction from earning money and supporting others. That's just in theory though, putting all that into actual practice would take quite a bit of work :slight_smile:

20. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey! I know that. I'm a med student, and have sat through a fair share of high school biology classes. I should have put more emphasis on amazing when I said "an amazing geneticist"! I think within our lifetime, there will be some way to do this, though.

I know what you're saying about the whole instinctive thing and taking sides, but I'm not sure it would be an issue. Say you and your husband have a child — your child — well, both of you will have spent at least three years raising a baby before you have another one (well that's a reasonable timeframe). I don't think it could be a case of him having his own child and then suddenly forgetting the bond he had formed with the first child over those three years. It would be different say if you both got surrogates or something and both got your own child at the same time. But I think the time spent bonding with the children, which will undoubtedly be different ages, will counter the kind of issues you're talking about.