1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Bible translation...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Silvails52, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Silvails52

I was walking around on campus and someone handed me a Bible. When I got back to the dorm, I went through it, to see the verses that dealt with homosexuality. Granted, the original verses were vague at best to homosexual relations. Anyways, I read this: "homosexuals... will [not] inherit the kingdom of God." I was honestly offended. So basically, BECAUSE God made me gay, he condemned me to hell from the beginning. :dry: Something doesn't fit here. Some older texts say "abusers of themselves with mankind" and even that was loosely translated. Not looking for support here, I just wanted to put this out.

2. Jared

I hate it when people put the word homosexual into the Bible, the Bible was written 2,000 years ago, translated into English nearly 500 years ago and the word homosexual hasn't even been around for 150 years, it doesn't take a genius to do the math. People just love to twist translations and add new meanings/words to advance their backwards bigoted agenda.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People like to make things the way that they think that they should be. It makes them feel more justified in their bigotry.

4. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Actually, if you have access to the original latin of the bible, you will find that Leviticus 20:13 (Lieth with a man as with a woman, and all that), actually translates more like, "if a man lies with a man as with a woman, people find that detestable and might put them to death," instead of actually condemning it.

5. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

How many more translations do we need of the same vile book of hate? But I guess this sort of thing is big business in this country, and there are lots of sheeple who will line up to hand their money over each time a new version comes along.

Don't let yourself be troubled by the garbage in that book.

6. oneday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  7. Linthras

Linthras Guest

My tip for people being Christian and worrying about homosexuality and the bible:
    [YOUTUBE]0Ihzwo4ygxk[/YOUTUBE]

8. rg93

Agreeing with Cornella, it's probably just like a huge round of telephone game that's been going on for a while now. Hundreds of people could have screwed it up. And why wouldn't they? The people translating these have the opportunity to twist and change the rules at their will. And NOBODY would notice it. Pretty awful when you think about it.

9. Silvails52

I'm not. But to me and a lot of other people, the Bible is valuable. Plus, this copy was free and was practically shoved into my hands. I'm actually not troubled too much by the verse. I've found LOTS of sites that do the verses justice, but thank you anyways.

Yeah, that's a scary thought...

10. SkyDiver

I'm not a sheeple, but thanks anyways. The Bible is, always has been and always will be one of the most popular books in the history of humankind.

Many people believe it contains truth, and just because you don't believe it does not make it "garbage". For some of us it brings meaning to our entire lives.

11. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Popular? Ignorance and hate have been very popular throughout human history. Homophobia enjoys wide popular support in many societies. Mao's Red Book was as popular as the Bible, I don't see that as a validation of Maoism.

I think a book that says gay people must be put to death and "have their blood put upon them" is garbage, I'm sorry.

Yeah, you can wrote some long essays on the internet trying to explain away the "clobber passages", but the fact of the matter is, 99.9% of Bible versions out there explicitly condemn gay people; Christians who believe it is the word of God will read them and accept them as truth, and most churches and pastors will even back them up on it. The 14-year-old gay kid in Kansas who's constantly bullied every day will pick up the Bible his parents and pastor told him was the perfect word of God, and read that God said he is an unnatural abomination and should be put to death too.

Why would a book that is supposed to be perfect and filled with truth and morality even contain such horrible things in it in the first place?

The Bible also approves of genocide and crimes against humanity. As Dan Savage pointed out, the easiest moral question in all of human history, the issue of slavery, the Bible gets flat-out wrong, with both the Old and New Testaments supporting slave owners.

Most of the social problems faced today in Western society are the result of the Bible and religion. The most tolerant and accepting civilizations today are those that are most secularized, like Northern Europe and the Nordic countries. Wherever Abrahamic religion has strong influence, the rights of LGBTQ people, women, and other minorities are under constant attack.

12. BudderMC

But would you say that if you yourself weren't gay?

I don't think that's the point of the Bible. It's a text written by the prophets and whoever else to recount stories and lessons and whatnot from way back when. To assume that the Bible should be right in every sense of the word is half the problem; when you do that, suddenly everything that isn't right makes the Bible a false advertisement.

I think the adage "to take something with a grain of salt" plays well here.

I'd argue Canada is pretty tolerant and accepting, and while we're not super religious like parts of other countries, I'd say there's still a high amount of religious influence.

And on that note, it isn't usually wise to make generalizations.

13. everett

And this is why I refuse to believe in this religion anymore because individuals constantly change it to suit their own needs.

14. Ticklish Fish

if i remember correctly...

hebrew-->Roman latin--> old.archaic english--> various updates of english

so basically, people should go back to hebrew version and translate a less-biased version of bible.

15. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Um, of course I would, why wouldn't I?

I'm not a woman, but I think the Bible's stories of men owning a bunch of women as property is disgusting.

I'm not a slave, but I think the fact that both Old and New Testament are strongly pro-slavery is one of the most terrifying indictments of the Bible's lack of even the most basic of moral principles.

I'm not an Amalekite, but I think the fact that the Bible's "God" ordered the entire Amalekite tribe to be exterminated in a genocide is absolutely horrifying.

Whether I am personally gay or not, I would hope that I would have the human decency to think it awful that a holy book revered as the word of God by billions of people over the centuries says that gay people should be put to death and have their blood put upon them.

We will never be able to eradicate homophobia or any other form of social injustice as long as so many people continue to worship this grotesque monster and his awful book.

I don't think that's the point of the Bible. It's a text written by the prophets and whoever else to recount stories and lessons and whatnot from way back when. To assume that the Bible should be right in every sense of the word is half the problem; when you do that, suddenly everything that isn't right makes the Bible a false advertisement.

I think the adage "to take something with a grain of salt" plays well here.[/QUOTE]
    Of course we would be better off if everyone took the Bible with a grain of salt, or less. But there are millions of people who base their entire lives on taking every single word of the Bible as the literal word of God.

And they believe they are being good people doing God's work when they go around saying gay people are abominations who are going to Hell.

I don't think it's an unfair generalization, it's a pretty accurate assessment of the situation. In Islamic theocracies like Saudi Arabia and Iran, women and LGBTQ people have no rights, and are often to put to death.

In the United States, the least religious states in the country are the most progressive on social equality, with marriage equality and anti-discrimination legislation.

In the aptly-named 'Bible Belt', LGBTQ people have zero rights, there is no anti-discrimination legislation, every state has a constitutional amendment banning same-sex unions passed by mega-landslide margins, and they have things like "don't say gay" bills.

Wherever Abrahamic religion is dominant, women and LGBTQ folks are the prime victims. Canada is less religious overall than the United States, and it is thus more progressive on social equality than the U.S. is.

---------- Post added 30th Sep 2012 at 02:54 PM ----------

The Old Testament of the Bible was originally written in Hebrew. The New Testament was originally written in Koine Greek.

The first Catholic translations into English did use the Latin Vulgate, but most translations since then, going back to the 1611 King James Version, have used the original Greek and Hebrew as source material.

16. Ticklish Fish

wow, i missed this post while scrolling down.
    But can you rephrase the meaning of your post or the verse? lol.

is it saying bi/gays will die or is it like they are just condemn?

17. BudderMC

Isn't it a little hypocritical to be saying that those people are monsters for denying people things integral to their person... when you're doing the same thing to them? What makes them so different from you? What is it that makes your opinions justified but theirs not?

I actually talked with my school's chaplain about this, or rather, she explained it to me. She's gone to school and all that for religious studies and actually done proper, legitimate in-depth examination of the scripture. So yeah, I'm more inclined to believe her than some Internet source. I've yet to hear her lie about anything else, and she isn't exactly stupid... but I digress.

Anyways, what she found when she was researching that passage and the idea that "homosexuality is forbidden" wasn't actually that. Yes, it's talking about the act of anal sex, but not because it's "gay". It's in reference to the fact that men would punish their women by anally raping them, so to commit that act on another man (to punish him) would be condemnable by death.

18. Ticklish Fish

so you're suggesting that there might not be nothing wrong with gays in the original bible, but the way sex is done might be questioned? :dry:

19. BudderMC

^ What I'm suggesting (or rather, what my chaplain was suggesting) is that it was the relation to the act that was the issue. To rape another man would be to punish him, and if men were to be "equals" back then (relative to women), that would be inexcusable to do.

I don't think it suggests anything in terms of actual homosexual relationships though. That's probably just extrapolation.

20. Zontar

The Bible is a literary tale that's hardly relevant in today's knowledgeable era.

If you're a religious kind of person, seek evidence for God in nature and your morals from what makes us all work better.