1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News anchor responds to bully's email on newscast

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BradThePug, Oct 2, 2012.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  2. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Love it!

3. Pain

Pain Guest

Wow... What an amazing woman! That really made me hold my breath :grin: It really was inspiring!

4. Gallatin

That was awesome. She's an inspiration. :slight_smile:

5. FollowtheFreeman

I just want to give her the greatest high-five ever!

6. Mad1022

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    She is amazing. I was so touched and inspired bu this - but when she said your sexual prefeance doesn't matter, I started to cry. I love this woman. And seriously, shes a beautiful woman!

7. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nice :thumbsup: :eusa_clap

8. Romi

I wish that more people responded this way. I'm not saying anything no one else hasn't already said, but she was wonderful and inspiring, and her beauty can be seen on the outside and inside. This was touching and motivational.

9. sguyc

Am I the only one who thought it was ironic that she chose to fight "bullying" (which, while critical of her, was a relatively polite letter) by bullying the guy on national TV. Not really sending the right messege in my opinion...

10. Jared

I loved this video, she's wonderful :slight_smile:

11. Mogget

No, it was not polite. Polite-sounding words can be used to say rude and inappropriate things, but being polite is about more than how you say things, it's also about what you say. There is no way for a random stranger to tell anyone that they need to lose weight and be polite. Cannot be done.

12. speedracing22

I agree with Mogget. Think about this as an example: what if his letter told her the same thing except substituted being gay instead of obese? Or if he substituted her race? Would it still be polite?

I think it's impolite because it's not any of his business. Race....sexual preference...appearance, etc is nobody's business to criticize. Her job is to deliver the news, and he picked something unrelated to her job to criticize her for.

13. Caoimhe Fayre

also, obesity can be caused by various factors; genetics, diabetes, other illnesses, etc... what does a random stranger know about her health? and with the prevalence of eating disorders, his points were flawed - I'd rather have young women who do not have the perfect body being inspired by other women who also do not have perfect bodies, than have yet another perfect looking figure modeling how only physically attractive women can get anywhere.

and let's face it, only because she's a woman did that guy think he could get away with judging her based on her physical appearance. men don't have to put up with that kind of bull. it's her talents as a newscaster that are open to constructive - read, constructive - criticism, and it is NOT her attractiveness as a woman that should be open to rude, judgmental letters like what he sent.

14. Kat kanu

Amazing truly inspiring

I agree with the person above me why cant people see that not everyone choses to live that way I know I dont and im not overweight im considered anorexic im5'6 and 110 lbs and I eat more than a grown man so no just because you skinny I doesn't make you health I wouldn't wish this on anyone

#14 Kat kanu, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  15. sguyc

If she doesn't want the man's advice, which was all it was, then she can ignore it. Attacking him over the air is an abuse of power for a TV personality and pretty inappropriate, much more so than a private letter. The guy sent a constructive letter, privately, to a public figure. Modern societies should attempt to promote behaviors that are good for the people, and it is his opinion that public figures are rolemodels to an extent. I think her actions are worse than his.

16. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is clearly not advice. This is clearly an ill formed opinion. Do you think that kids that call other kids fat in school are "giving them advice"?? Also, this man does not know that what health problems that she has that could be contributing to her weight.

17. HelmetBoi

I respectfully completely disagree. She wasn't attacking that specific person who for some bizarre reason felt his opinions were of such significance that it warranted writing to her, she was making a stand against bullying in general and saying it isn't be acceptable in any way. Personally I think this is a wonderful example of someone who's clearly a very caring, kind natured human being standing up to someone who doesn't realise, through his own ignorance, that people come in many shapes and sizes.

18. Lewis

:icon_bigg

19. Brody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    We watched this in school I thought it was AMAZING!!!

20. BNQ2012

Her response was calm, reasoned, and sought to encourage others who experience bullying for whatever reason not to be broken by it. On what planet does this equate to "bullying" the guy who sent her the email in the first place? At no point did she ever resort to a personal attack on this man. I think her actions were neither ironic nor inappropriate but brave and necessary.

Is obesity a major health concern? Yes. Does that give others the right to be the body police? No. ABSOLUTELY NOT! As she pointed out fat people are already aware that they are fat. Whether they choose to do anything about it or not is their business, not yours or anyone else's. Appearances do not tell anyone's whole story anyway. You have no idea what this woman's lifestyle is like because all you have to go on is one piece of information. She is essentially a stranger to us all in spite of her public profession and we need to realize that and observe appropriate boundaries.

Lastly, thanks to the person who pointed out the gender component of this issue. Women are routinely critiqued for issues of appearance while more relevant issues of competence and ability are ignored. We do not feel the same entitlement to critique the appearance of men in most cases. I think the man who wrote her made that clear when he singled out her supposedly poor example for "girls." If he were truly looking at this from a health standpoint and not from the vantage point of how he likes to see a woman look, gender would have no bearing on his argument.