1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gay icons

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sunnii, Oct 3, 2012.

1. sunnii

I've always been kind of confused with the term gay icon. Like especially now it seems to a term used pretty loosely now. I know the most famous are like Madonna, Kylie, Cher, Lisa Minnelli,Judy Garland (and all those other old school actresses).

Like what is the criteria for being a gay icon? Like tbh I get partly put off them if they're a gay icon because its like a cliche liking them but ultimately I like them because it like them. Like I kind of know why Madonna is a gay icon but for example I seen somewhere describe Shakira as a gay icon. Now I love Shakira like mad but I haven't seen any connection between her and the LGBT community (maybe I missed something)

Also with men (mainly straight men) I don't get it if they're hot they're a gay icon. Like if theve got a big gay fanbase I'm like well if your a hot man chances are a lot of gay men will be attracted to you as well as straight women and bi men and women

2. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My guess is in many cases people confuse idol and icon, or it's getting googletranslated wrong (not everyone on the internet is english first-language but most post in english). For example I could see people referring to Ellen as a icon (i.e. someone who is a well known representative of a certain group, highly visible positive role model, etc), but really dunno about Shakira (I'm not super knowledgeable about her bio etc, my cursory googling turns up the usual drivels of speculation on orientation but no legit references, doesn't mean she isn't tho I suppose). Or maybe you don't have to be a member of the club to be an icon (is this where Judy Garland etc comes in?).