1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Totally an opinion!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by metoo, Oct 3, 2012.

1. metoo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was just wondering what you think the lowest age to come out would be so that people would think that you are not to young to know. For example If someone where to tell you that they were gay/trans/bi when they were 10, even if they knew, most people would probably not beleive them. They would think 'how would a ten year old know.'

This question is not about what age the individual knows he/she is LGBT for I know that varies quite a bit. But what age is the youngest so that others will think you know yourself and trust you.

In the LBGT community most of us know that the people of the world can sometimes be synical. This question is asking how untrusting they are. The ages will probably vary depending on the person, but what do you think the average age is. :shrug:

2. Lewis

I think it depends on when you feel comfortable. It took me until I was 17 to come out to myself and I'm not 19 and still not out to others. I've known some people that were 13 when they came out and everything turned out great for them, kinda envy them to be honest.

3. SkyDiver

It depends on who you're coming out to. If you're a 13 year old coming out to a 40 year old, there's most likely a higher chance that they will think you're too young to know. If you're coming out to someone your age, they will most likely understand.

I started coming out when I was 12 and no one really questioned it (well, except my dad...) but it just took him time.

4. It depends on who you're telling, but in my opinion, I think anyone who isn't homophobic to some degree, whether consciously or not, won't doubt a younger person who says they're queer. After all, would they question if the same child told them they were straight, or described a heterosexual crush? So, rather, a better question to ask might be "how open-minded is the average person?" instead of "what is the youngest age that others will trust you when you reveal your sexual orientation to them?" No matter if you come out at 14 or 40, there will always be people who won't believe you. You'll just have to stay true to yourself, and perhaps someday, they'll come around. Maybe they won't.

5. metoo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    OK, I think what you all said makes sense. The reason I am asking is that I really want to come out, but because I only just turned 14, I'm not sure how many people will take me seriously. In your experiences, did you have better luck coming out in High School, or after like in college or graduate school or after school?

6. HatterMad

I'm not sure if the world knew I was gay first, or not.

I have never "come out" I turn 14 this month. Everyone knows I'm gay, myself included.

My mom gave me one really sweet gift before she died....one of the early memories I have was like 8 or 7 and some kids on the bus were calling everyone faggots . adn when I got home I asked her what it meant. And she told me it was a nasty word for a boy who is gay, one who loves other boys, and not girls....And I asked if she meant like when I thought the Disney prince should of kissed the other boy instead of the girl...
    And she said kind of like that. And I asked, even at that age if I was gay, and she said she didn't know, but it didn't matter anyways, it's not about who you fall in love with, it's about them treating you with respect and loving you back.

I don't think it matters if they take you serious or not. It's about your comfort. not being able to be who you are is hard. Even with all the problems I've had I'm glad I am out.

7. metoo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you so much. I am very interessted to know that there is someone else who is young on this site who has come out. I am only 14 and I don't think that anyone know that I am gay. I really want to tell someone but I am afraid that they will think I am too young. It is great to know that someone else has come out at a young age. You have really inspired me!

8. Pain

Pain Guest

Well, it would be easier to think about if gay were as easy to stomach as straight. For example, boys get "girlfriends" as early as six years old, from experience I've had with friends. My four year old girl cousin, in fact, has a "boyfriend," whom she kisses in front of her mommy constantly.

The first thoughts that reflected being gay were manifested early in me, at around four. I think, that only because of gay stigma and heteronormativity, do people have any opinion on how old someone should be before they "know" when they're gay. Also, I think that's why most people feel a conflict and don't realize that they're gay until late teen/early twenties.

9. metoo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah, I have not doubt that people may realize they are gay early in life and ingnore it until their teens. That is exactally what I did. I am now 14 and I want to come out, but I don't know if people will accept me because of how some people don't come out until later in life.

10. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Personally I like to think that in today's environment (in the more progressive parts of the world anyway), once puberty has started to manifest itself for a bit, people should take a teenager's coming out or questioning seriously. Even though many "know" way before that. Results will obviously vary depending on who they're coming out to, social/family environment, etc...

Also keep in mind for those coming out later, part of it is they're coming out in their 20s or 30s and so on, and part of it is they're coming out in 2012 (i.e. it's more accepted, there's more information and support available today than there was when they were in their teens).

11. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I'd say as soons as a person knows what sexuality is, which surprisingly enough can be as young as about 10 years old.
    I take the approach of letting people tell me about their sexuality before I judge whether they're sincere or not know what they're talking about.

12. NicoleV96

NicoleV96 Guest

I don't think there's any definite age, you come out whenever you want to, and if people don't want to take it seriously or they think you're too young, then that's their opinion. As long as you know it, nobody else needs to believe it. Just come out whenever you want to, and whenever you feel like its best. I did it when I was 12, some people do it when they're 8, others in their 40's, it's just whenever it feels right.

13. metoo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ok, what you all said makes sence. It all depends on if you are ready or not. Not the age. People can have their opinions no matter when you come out. I think I get it.