1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

French!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheUndiscovered, Oct 3, 2012.

1. TheUndiscovered

I really want to learn French! :confused: Does anyone know good ways to learn a language? Most people say Rosetta Stone but I've heard it doesn't work.

2. TheSquirrels

TheSquirrels Guest

A free thing that a friend introduced me to is Byki, if you google it. It's a free program download, it works by showing flashcards with native speakers.

Here is also a link you might find useful: I Learned to Speak Four Languages in a Few Years: Here's How

Although to be honest with you, I've found it's best to take a class, because only a human being can teach you the subtle nuances.

Good luck!

3. Waffles

One of the best ways to learn a language is to emmerse yourself in it, whether through music, books, movies, etc. Of course, not just doing this alone will teach you everything, but this DOES teach you the more common phrases and such~ unless, of course, you plan on going to france and try to hold a conversation about name, age, and articles of clothing. XD

Bonne chance, mon ami! (b.w.)b

4. Pyrotactick

French....is a pain in the ass to write. Speaking is easier. My dad and I speak all the time in french (family heritage), the best thing is to take classes with people you can talk back to, it'll really help...also reading helps a little, but talking back and forth is best.

Bonne chance et à la prochaine (good luck and see you next time!)

5. TheUndiscovered

Muchos gracias!

6. Emberstone

I am learning french right now through my unviversity. It actually so far has not been as hard as I thought it would be. the only issue of conjugating 'To Be' verbs, but thats annoying in english also.

We are using a textbook called 'motif' that comes with workbooks, and online learning resources.

Rosetta stone doesn't actually teach you language, it teaches you basic conservation. If you want to truly learn, you need to be taught by a human being who speaks it, and knows how to structure it for teaching.

7. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't used Rosetta Stone before but from what I hear about it, it isn't worth it, as it's very expensive and doesn't teach you what you need to know. I recommend taking a class at a local community college and immersing yourself in the language the best way possible. Movies with subtitles can be great as you can try making out different words too. I learned French through about 6 years of classes and books, movies, music, etc. Good luck!

8. Have you ever tried livemocha.com?

It seems really efficient, but I still haven't delved into it with 100% dedication