1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heterophobia?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wonderingdave01, Oct 5, 2012.

?

Does Heterophobia exist?

1. Yes

47 vote(s)
    64.4%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    16.4%
  3. Other/I don't know

14 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. Does it exist? Has there ever been any reverse prejudiced toward straight people in the LGBT community?

2. bubblyhappy

bubblyhappy Guest

I think I may have Heterophobia.

Ever since I started remaking new friends, I'm ignoring all straight men as friends whether its personal or workplace. Straight women I'm ok making friends with since they understand me. I've been hurt by my former straight guy best friend (friends for 22 years) for coming out to him. His reaction was "GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!!!" I left never looking back at him. He was a strange guy, he liked to hug me and touch my wrists. What a weirdo.

3. HatterMad

Wiki has a section on that.

I understood like 5 words and now my brain hurts.

4. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  5. Level75

Yeah, I get the feeling whether we have "heterophobia" or not will all come down to that first experience. When I came out to my male best friend, he was actually pretty cool and supportive about it and we're still friends. Going on about 13 years now I think. So I have no problem letting new straight male friends know I'm gay if I could fit the subject in somehow.

Most people in my age group in the northern NJ area though tend to lean socially liberal too though, so that might be a factor.

6. Romi

I'm not going to lie, as much as I hate it about myself...sometimes I find myself absolutely grossed out when I see a heterosexual couple kissing and making out. It makes my skin crawl. now, that's not all the time, mind you. And as far as I can tell it's not triggered by anything concerning any particular couple, like their looks or anything. It's just sometimes over others I get weirded out and I feel very uncomfortable by it.

I know it's very wrong of me to say since I am very much an advocate of accepting everyone, but...there's the truth of it.

---------- Post added 6th Oct 2012 at 12:58 AM ----------

But it probably does have something to do with experiences... Now that I think about it.

7. Level75

I'm very equal opportunity when it comes to PDA. Opposite-sex, same-sex, just get an effing room already.

I'm Ok with handholding though. In fact, I think it's very cute.

8. bubblyhappy

bubblyhappy Guest

My former best guy friend really never had a girlfriend. Why would he touch my wrists. His excuse was he's trying to look for my pulse. He is a personal trainer.
    I have a feeling he is questioning himself. I never had a crush on him. Na, I'm never talking to him again. I stay away from straight guys. I don't even talk to them at all now. Straight Guys in family ok since they are family.

9. Bree

I think that we tend to judge all heteronormative people the same, and that can lead to heterosexism by those who have had bad experiences with a handful of people. We have to remember that just as all queers don't have the same opinions, nor to all straights.

10. bubblyhappy

bubblyhappy Guest

I hear you. I actually get jealous when opposite sex people kiss in public. Its like they own the planet and they do it on purpose to make us suffer. That's my Heterophobia right there. Hey we're LGBT, we may be underdogs to them, but we're super cooler and more beautiful than they are.

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, but it's spectacularly stupid and uncommon.

12. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    the question of whether or not it exists is trivially answered. Clearly that is a yes.

13. MichaelB

I'd be rather ashamed if it did exist.. no offense.

How can we preach that we must be accepted when apparently there's also a 'phobia' of straight people? These phobias need to be sh*t on, not supported.

#13 MichaelB, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  14. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh yes, I believe there is heterophobia. Not sure if I can think of any instances right now, but yes. It seems all of us just can't accept that there are a multitude of sexualities and therefore we end up refusing those who are different.

15. Lewis

I certainly don't dislike heterosexual people, all of my friends are straight. I guess for some it's more the fear of being judged by someone who is straight, rather than actually disliking them.

16. PurpleCrab

Yes it does exist. Try living as gay and be known as gay for all your life then come out as bi to see what I mean... and try dating the opposite sex!! :dead:
    That's when things like that happen that you realize that the LGBT people you had around you aren't that open minded... at all.

17. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well, we've established is does exsist. Perhaps we should discuss WHY it exsists.

18. Romi

That's like trying to answer why racism exists or homophobia, or any other type of ignorant prejudice. There are so many reasons, so many variables...

Maybe what we should really be discussing is how to put an end to it just like anything else, right?

19. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sadly, yes it does :icon_sad:

It ALWAYS happens: doen't matter wich kind of prejudges we talk aoubt, the offended always takes it back agaisnt the offenders. Of course, we can't talk on an individual basis, every person will think of it it's own way.

I particularly don't have any trouble with heterosexuals, because I came out only a couple months ago and not many people knows I'm bisexual-crossdresser.

20. lowdownweather

Yeah, it exists.

As someone who is fairly straight looking/acting, it's kinda weird. Some LGBT folk can be heterophobic to me until they find out that I'm not hetero.

Strangely, it's hetero people who are more accepting of some who's gay that seems straight...