1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok so I'm thinking about going and seeing an LGBT person soon.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alexander69, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Alexander69

Ok so hat do LGBT people do can I get some info please!! :grin: thanks I don't know what they will talk to me about

2. Jared

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. If you want to meet other gay people try going to your local LGBT center or joining an LGBT club at a college, some let non-students join.

3. Alexander69

I know where one is but what do they do? Like talk about things like that and is it time demanding?

4. Jared

It can be as time demanding as you want it to be. The LGBT club I'm in is mostly a social group, though some are political and others are for support and everything in between. It just depends on the group you join.

5. Alexander69

Ohhhhhh well I saw some one on here say they were seeing an LGBT councellor? What's that

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think they're referring to a therapist with a specialty in LGBT issues. It isn't clear when you say you're going to see an "LGBT person" but I think you mean a therapist.

If you haven't been to a therapist before, it's really no different than going to talk to someone about the issues you're having... similar to discussions you've had in threads here, or via PM with me. A good therapist will listen and then offer you different interpretations of your experiences and help you understand when maybe you're experiencing something through the filters of experiences you've had, if that makes sense.

Basically, a therapist helps you to understand yourself better, let go of the unhealthy thoughts/ideas/behaviors and adopt new, healthier ones.

Now... if you're talking about an LGBT center, such as a GSA club at a college, or a community-based gay center... that's a completely different thing. Some are primarily social gatherings to meet, hang out with, and do things together with other LGBT people. Some are full-service community centers that offer therapy and counseling, support groups, social groups, parties, activities, and the like. In Vancouver, I'm guessing there is probably a pretty large LGBT center and probably separate ones associated with the universities there.

7. Alexander69

Yes there is one in vancity I'm thinking about going maybe not soon but like soonish like in a month or so