1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT and asexual people.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheUndiscovered, Oct 6, 2012.

1. TheUndiscovered

If someone is asexual would they be considered asexual? I know it LGBT stands for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender but are they still "apart of the family"?

2. Ridiculous

Yes, funnily enough :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

Joking aside, they are welcomed into the LGBT-and-so-on group simply for the fact that they aren't straight. Though it is more of a symbolic thing, because they aren't being discriminated against like everyone else in the group.

3. Delta

Well.... They are definitely not LGBT. But, if you use the full initialism, LGBTTQQIIAA it includes Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Transexual, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Intergender, Asexual, & Allies.

Everyone just shortens it to cover the major bases. I think by saying it, most people just mean the queer community in general.

4. I don't think it's a "symbolic thing" at all. While asexuals don't tend to experience discrimination, they do face prejudice, especially by those who deny their existence. I actually see asexuality as fitting in more with the LGB than the T, since unlike the T, it describes a sexual orientation (or lack thereof). Just my thoughts.

5. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Asexual people should definitely be part of the group--I would say that not knowing why your friends go crazy over that one guy or girl would be pretty awful and require some support.

6. Ridiculous

You're right. They don't have the same legal blocks that the others do, but the prejudice is there.

edit: does anyone know if there are countries with laws that require sexual reproduction or at least a relationship with an effort to reproduce? Not cultural expectation, but actual legal requirement.

#6 Ridiculous, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  7. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, this! I'm only gray-A and it's weird seeing everyone so obsessed with dating/relationships/sex as I was hardly ever interested. A little bit more now, but I'm still gray. I wouldn't be surprised if everyone thinks I'm lesbian since I've never shown much interest. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    And I'm homeschooled so I didn't have to deal with people on a regular basis.

I look forward to the replies on this thread, and to Ridiculous' question.

8. Aielar

I'd never previously considered this, but it's true. I don't understand sexual attraction, even though I can acknowledge when someone is good looking. I consider myself as part of the lgbtq community - I am biromantic asexual after all. In my mind, asexuality is somewhere along the spectrum of human sexuality :slight_smile: I don't believe there is as much discrimination/prejudice towards asexuals, simply because I don't think there is as much awareness around asexuality as opposed to lesbians, gays, and bisexuals. Before I realized I was asexual, I had no idea one could be asexual.

9. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm. Depends what you define as a legal requirement.

The constitution of Saudi Arabia is (iirc) the Koran, which i believe has one of those 'be fruitful and multiply' lines in it. I'm not sure how strictly they would apply that to someone who didn't want to procreate though. Surely in the practical sense, anyone could just say "i haven't found someone i want to marry yet".

10. timo

THIS. Being gray-A is probably the reason why it's taken me so long to realize I'm not straight. Although now I do know that, when there's physical attraction, it's towards guys and 98,6% of my romantic attraction is towards guys too. I don't ever see myself in a relationship with a girl.
    Not knowing there was such thing as aseuxality didn't help either. Pretty much what aielar said.

I do feel like being gray-A will be hard to explain when I'm in a relationship, and I hope it won't be a problem to Mr. Future Boyfriend.

11. To me if you are non-heterosexual you can become apart of any LGBTQ community
    Even if you are not
    Straight ally's are awesome!

12. TheUndiscovered

Oops! Sorry, I meant to put "If someone is asexual are they LGBT" :c It was like 1am when I did this, lmao.

13. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't think there's any country with something like this. But if you just never married or something, then in some places that could start rumors of "he's not marrying because he is homosexual", rumors which could prove fatal in some nations...

14. Pyrotactick

I believe they're in the family! Maybe not on the abridged title...but they're there!...now I have a question....do we discriminate straight people?

15. Zontar

Yes and no. Asexual people have concerns very different than mainstream LGBT people, although you can say the same thing further subdividing gays from transgenders.

16. TheUndiscovered

I don't know much about asexuals but I assume they don't usually get married..Maybe two asexual people get together? I know there's such a thing as homo and hetero romantic asexuals meaning they're romantically attracted to the same or opposite sex but have no desire for sexual intercourse.

17. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Most asexuals actually do get married. Some actually also have sex with their partners, but its not something that they crave or need. They do it more for their partners than themselves. Some other people don't have any sex.

But yes, they are def part of the community. Granted the LGBT community seems to put greater emphasis to gays and lesbians, but all are welcome.

Sadly, some groups do, but most people won't. Straight allies are amazing and EC actually has two allies on staff :slight_smile:

18. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    A good portion of asexual people I've met still experience romantic attraction, but don't like sex. I consider myself a homo-romantic asexual, and while I don't find sex interesting at all, I would do it with the right person.

I used to identify as gay for a while until I finally realized that that wasn't me. I'd say it's pretty tough to be asexual, probably not as hard as the typical LGBT person, but it's up there, simply for the ignorance towards the subject.

19. bubblyhappy

bubblyhappy Guest

I thought I was a gay asexual (when i was in the closet) at one time because my personal feeling was love was more important than sex. But now I don't really identify as asexual.