1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seminar paper - Bullying

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Derpette, Oct 7, 2012.

?

Have you ever been/are you exposed to bullying based on your orientation?

Poll closed Oct 21, 2012.
  1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    68.1%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    31.9%
  1. Derpette

Hey, I'm working on a seminar paper for my humanities class and would like to ask you for a little help here. I chose "Coming out and acceptance of homosexuality" as a topic. The work is focused on homosexuals exclusively and a part of the paper should be also a comparison of one particular phenomenon in society in two different countries. I decided to compare the occurrence of bullying in high schools in the US and in my own country.

For the purposes of the poll you should be at least Kinsey 4 and no more than about 25 years old.

My question is: Were you/are you bullied in high school?
    (as bullying I count both physical and verbal attack, mean gossips, getting your personal stuff damaged, etc.)

If you were/are, please click Yes in the poll and try to specify the kind of bullying you are/have been exposed to.
    If you were't just please click no and that's it.

I really appreciate your help, I know this might be very personal but I can assure you that I won't abuse the information I get in any way.

Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

2. People Have made some rude remarks
    Nothing on the level of bullying.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I was subjected to gossip, and on one occasion someone threatened violence against me.

4. Caudex

Caudex Guest

This mostly happened in grade school, but not as much now. But it still does happen, only it doesn't get to me anymore.
    The funny thing is that it's not about me being gay so much as me not fitting traditional masculinity. It was nothing I did; I always was on the football team and whatnot, but more my general demeanor. It got me a few mild beatings, but nothing too bad. Now, of course, it's all verbal, and I don't know if you could even call it bullying, but there you go.

5. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was out as gay in Senior year, was made fun of on the bus and in class a lot. Had kids give me that 'look' when they saw me and whisper to themselves. There were a few that'd openly tell me how gross they thought I was and that they didn't want me looking at them or something. I'm glad I only had to deal with THAT for a year.

6. TheUndiscovered

I've never personally been bullied because I'm not out to everyone but I do hear my friends talking about beating the shit out of the gay guy in my school. I don't think they'd actually do it but the statement of doing it is bad enough in my opinion.

7. shy

shy

somehow some people thought I liked being touched by random guys. I had to take it up to the councellor to stop them but still they weren't expelled since it was a public school. (btw, I'm form switzerland)

8. Lessard

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    First it says from ure country and the US I just wanted to say I'm from Canada so idk if this counts so anyways...
    I'm not our yet but people still teased me making little remarks and calling me a queer just for the fun of it... I didn't even know my sexuality then and they still called me names I ignored them an it stopped it was lat year but every once in a while some random will say something.

9. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fortunately I wouldn't say that I have been subject to it. The most I got was being asked 1 time if I was gay. Also my best friend said people would ask him why he hung out with me since they figured I was gay. And I never knew about that until he told me one day. But I wouldn't really consider any of that bullying.

10. Melissa

I was bullied in middle school mostly (it was like they knew I was gay before I did!) Ironically though, I was bullied by a bunch of middle school boys while I was in high school. Let me explain, I walked to and from high school, and their bus was on the same route as I took. Every day, they would shout unkind remarks from the bus. Sometimes they'd throw garbage. Stupid brats. Eventually, I just decided to take a longer path just to avoid them. Never told anyone about it.

11. Pyrotactick

Not really bullying, but my friends gossip a lot about my sexuality. I think I'm the most bi of the group you could say. So they gossip about me and the other gay guy :L . Hey...just gossip and shit. But that's not bullying. In my school, we have to wear for a day or so all black, and black ducktape over our mouth if we are LGBT-and-etc. or just a supporter of LGBT-and-etc. . He accused me of being gay...and now he doesn't want to talk to me anymore. Also, one of my friends pretty much blurted it out loudly to a group of people. I get funny looks when somebody brings up "gay" or "homo".

12. NordicSpirit

I said yes because I was teased for being gay in school although I though I was straight at the time.

13. GayJay

Wait are you only supposed to reply if your from US? Oops am from UK so sorry if this is invalid but, ive never been bullied tbh cause ive always been able to stand up for myself. Ive had a lot of fights with guys in my classes up until the age of 15ish but i could always fight just as good as they could so i never really took like 'a beating' and if they ever made a remark i would always just punch them. This is the kind of stuff that got me kicked outta my first secondry school but always stopped me getting bullied.
    But i have seen a LOT of other people get bullied, cause they were LGB and have even had to help a guy out cause it was that bad for him.

14. Aielar

Sorry, I didn't read the whole question before answering yes. I was bullied in high school, but not because of my orientation, since I didn't exactly know I wasn't straight until just over half a year after leaving high school, so it's a no for me

15. Derpette

I just want to say thanks for all your responses, it's supposed to be only from US, but I can change things and make it more global. It means a lot to me, thank you all :slight_smile:

16. madi

I was bullied in middle school. People made remarks about me being a lesbian. This was before I was even sure about my sexuality so I think it hurt more. People don't bully me about being bi directly anymore.

17. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was bullied throughout school because people thought that I was gay. I did not come out until after high school though..

I was called many different names all throughout school..

18. Minamimoto_Fan

There was just one guy in my Junior year, and a couple guys in summer gym (Didn't fail, just getting that credit done with)

Then there is my family(Excluding my parents) that have called me gay, fag, queer, etc. Glad to say I hardly have to deal with them much.

19. I go to a catholic school where being gay is apparently the worst thing that could ever happen to anybody.
    *sigh* i hate almost everyone at my school.