1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If your partner only cheated on you once would you leave?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mes1995, Oct 8, 2012.

1. mes1995

If your relationship is pretty great for the most part but you found out your lover cheated on you once a while ago (like a year ago maybe) would you leave them?
    by cheating i mean they had sex with someone else.
    Would you just try to move past it since you love them and it was just a one time thing?

2. Yoderrick

I hate to say it but I would leave them. My x cheated on me once like that I forgave him and he did it again only made me hurt more and feel like shit for being fooled

3. Lewis

Too right I would. If they'd do it once, they'd do it again.

4. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd leave since the trust would be broken and irreversible.

5. J Snow

I wouldn't. Everyone is capable of making mistakes, and I could not leave someone based on one poor decision.

6. Ticklish Fish

Well, does he still clings to the other person or have additional affairs? lol

7. Bree

That's a tough call. On the one hand, you'd never trust them again. On the other, being that it was so long ago...if they told me themselves I might be willing to continue. I don't know if it would be right to punish someone for being honest, regardless of how much it hurt.

It would really have to be situational.

8. Jared

I would most likely leave. I know people who've cheated and I can't think of one instance where it was a one time thing.

9. Pain

Pain Guest

It depends on the circumstances. It's tough to say-- what if they're being honest about being faithful now? What if they had doubt over the relationship that long ago, but when they cheated, things went to shit, and they realized that they never could love anyone as you, and cheating helped to affirm that? I can't say I would leave someone for cheating one time. If it's habitual, I probably would, but I really can't say, "yes" definitely.

10. timo

I don't know if I'd leave him right away but I'd become paranoid as hell, probably to a point where it isn't healthy for the relationship so we'd split up either way.

11. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It would really depend on the specific situation and person. For me, I'm the loyal-to-a-fault type and would stick with my partner through thick and thin. A mere mistake wouldn't make me give up on her. That being said, if I really loved this girl and her sleeping with someone else was a drunken incident, I could probably work through it and hope she doesn't do it again. A second time, I wouldn't forgive. But, if the first time was not just a drunken mistake but was a thing where she just found someone else attractive and slept with them or if she actually started falling for someone else, then that's a deal-breaker. As much as I'd love her, I couldn't bear to know that her heart isn't completely with me. I'd still love her after everything, but I wouldn't want her to feel like she had to stay with me out of obligation.

12. spectrumsigner

This is a really tough question. I've never cheated or been cheated on, so it's hard to say. If I really, really loved her, and thought she might be "the one"-- then yes, I think I could forgive and move on.

13. Purple Llama

It depends, if I was cheated on and she told me soon after and admitted it was a mistake, then I'd most likely give her another chance. Nobody's perfect after all :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But if I found out through someone else, or I suspect it had been going on a while and wasn't just a one off then no way, I wouldn't forgive. It also depends how long into the relationship it was, if someone I was dating for a couple weeks or so cheated, I wouldn't see the point in staying together, but if I was with someone for a long time, like months or years, then I wouldn't throw all that away over one mistake :slight_smile:

14. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    I'm tempted to say that I would leave them. For me a relationship is based on trust and once you have broken that trust, then it'd never be completely restored. You would always be wondering what he is up to when he is out, who he is sending messages to, etc. For that reason I consider it to be a relationship breaker. That being said, if it ever did happen I can't guarantee that my decisions would be the same as I can write in 'theory' as emotions do have a very big part to play.

15. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends. If he or she was forthright, honest and full of regret, I think I could forgive that. I would want to talk about what my partner was not getting out of me that s/he felt it necessary to see someone else. If it came out that we're really incompatible, the relationship would have to end. On the other hand, we could look into opening up the relationship, for example, to allow for my partner to find someone who wants to engage in sexual activities I don't.

Either way, it would call for a reassessment of our expectations of each other in the relationship.

16. Waffles

He breaks my trust, I break his balls (so he doesn't cheat on his next boyfriend).
    ... no, I'm serious. ( ._.) I would kick him until his balls bled.

17. Kat kanu

i would leave her once trust is gone theres no way of earning it back

18. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't leave immediately, but I'd want to have a long and frank discussion about it. Probably something along the lines of "If you wanted an open relationship, why didn't you ask?" :slight_smile:

Lex

19. Colours

If it only happened once, and it has been a while since then, I think I'd be able to forgive them.

Though, the fact that it has been a while will probably make it hurt more because it means he or she has been keeping a secret. It'd be easier if they'd just tell you within a few days or weeks time. I'd be able to deal with it easier.

20. starfish

Pretty much this.