1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trevor Space thoughts?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheUndiscovered, Oct 8, 2012.

1. TheUndiscovered

So apparently there is this gay social networking site called trevor space and I decided to check it out because I'm not really in tune with the LGBT community. The website requires you post pictures of yourself in order to gain more privileges and also requires you put in your ZIP so that people can find you if you're local to them.
    To me this seems kind of hazardous in terms of possibly being outed (you never know) and online predators. I realize this is a site meant for safety but as far as I'm concerned having it required you post your ZIP is just a red flag. Whoever messages me on the site could be twice their age with some very unfriendly intentions.

Wondering if anyone heard of this site and you guys' thoughts on it?

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No I have not, and it does seem worrisome. I would also caution you that whatever you do, remember that at least as far as Empty Closets is concerned, you must not post on any public place (including your or anyone else's wall) a way to contact you on that site. (So probably use a different user ID for one. That's at least until you get full membership at EC, in which case you can share that information with other full members.

3. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is a transgender dating site like that. Was full of the creepiest people imaginable (shocker I know). I had to send in a picture with some code written down on a piece of paper before they'd let me sign up. It's hard to find someone with a zip code alone honestly, I have the city I live in on my profile here on EC and you'd probably never find me even if you looked :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Like ALL dating sites, practice caution. Don't give out personal information and choose who you talk to carefully.

4. TheUndiscovered

Made sure not to. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: This is mostly on whether or not the site is a safe place to be even if it's organized by a gay help group.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That does sound really odd. I'm not sure that I like that idea. I know that some towns are small or are located in mostly rural zip codes (like half of central Ohio) so I could see that causing problems. Having to add a picture as well.. that just does not sound like a good idea.

6. Ridiculous

TrevorSpace is managed, or at least associated with the Trevor Project, so I'd expect them to be pretty knowledgeable when it comes to things like this. But what you've described sounds a bit dodgy.

I looked at their policies and it says

"You are required to have at least one photo of yourself to prove that you are indeed real. If you fail to provide us with a photo of yourself, you will be required to certify yourself before you can upload any other photos."

which makes it seem like you can only post photos if the first photo is of you.

7. aeva

I joined the site a while ago, and actually met my ex-girlfriend through it. I love it and have never had a problem with any 'creepy' people. The photo requirement is about making sure that you are who you say you are, so there aren't any pedophiles hunting around the site. It's also not a dating site, so anybody treating it as if it were would be a red flag, and reported immediately.

Since I'm totally out, I guess I didn't really think of the possibility of somebody outing me through it. I'm not quite sure how that would happen though, as you have to be a member of the site to be able to search other members.

Overall, I really don't think it's anything to worry too much about, but of course if you don't feel safe using it then you shouldn't.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Trevorspace is definitely legit, and run by a good organization. I've always felt that their site security wasn't adequate (at least by EC standards) to keep pedophiles out; it would be really easy for a pedophile to upload some image they found somewhere, and because they don't have the restrictions that EC has on off-site contact, it would be equally easy for someone to make contact.

That said, I know several people who use it and have found it to be reasonably safe, though it's definitely more, uh, hookup and sexually explicit chat-oriented than EC is since we're pretty strict about not allowing that sort of thing.

My understanding is, in terms of the community and quality of support and interaction, it's decent, but the people who I know who are on both like EC better (though there may be some bias there :wink:

9. aeva

I definitely like EC better. The main issue I had with Trevorspace was simply that I am older than the majority of the other users.

Chip- When applying to the site, in order to be 'certified', you can't just upload any old picture you snag off the web. They post a number on their registration page that changes every few hours, and you have to hold up a piece of paper with that number written on it in your picture.

The privacy settings are also quite extensive. I joined probably about a year ago, and have yet to have a problem with anybody who I felt was a danger to my safety, or even any sexually explicit content. It is by no means perfect, but I think it's a good resource for kids who are trying to find others like them in their area.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's really good to hear! I didn't realize that, and it's an interesting way of addressing the issue.
    That's also good though... from our perspective, it's the off-site contact, particularly meeting in person, that is potentially problematic.