1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future human evolution and homosexuality bearing kids naturally

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bubblyhappy, Oct 8, 2012.

1. bubblyhappy

bubblyhappy Guest

This thread may sound like scifi to you. This came to me through a thought.
    Do you think human evolution in the far far future counting 2 million years from now, will human sexuality and its diversity right now create a branching species of humans that are homosexual (male or female binaries) that are capable of having natural kids without surrogate female to carry the child in the far future.

Yes men having babies, women having babies without a man.
    Maybe genetic technology will allow this to happen.

I know it sounds really weird.

2. Ticklish Fish

Would that make overpopulation more of a problem? lol
    And I am not sure if the human anatomy is built for this....

3. bubblyhappy

bubblyhappy Guest

well it may be more like Star Trek, colonization across the galaxy so overpop may not be a problem. you do have valid points though.

4. Lessard

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It would be kinda cool but I gotta agree with kacho with the overpopulation thing lol

5. Ridiculous

Two women can already theoretically have a child together as technology is available for fertilising an ovum with a cell other than a sperm; it is in its infancy (heh) though.

BBC News | HEALTH | Eggs fertilised without sperm

They can obviously only have female children through this method, and if homosexuality is genetically based, depending on how it is determined they may only be able to have homosexual female children.

So to answer your question.. maybe? They will never develop a method for have children together without scientific intervention though - that requires natural selection which isn't happening in this case.

6. Fiddledeedee

Humans shape the environment around them rather than shaping themselves to it. We also select sexual partners based on subjective, comparitively useless, and non-genetic traits. This means that I highly doubt we're going to be doing any more drastic natural evolving. As Ridiculous said, though, it's possible to fertilise eggs without sperm using non-natural methods.

7. PurpleCrab

My first thoughts on this is that logically, at some point in the future, humanity as a whole won't be able to procreate naturally anymore. All kids will have to be made by technologies. The plus in that is that technology doesn't discriminate the parent's sexual orientation.

And then I thought, what if?
    You know.. I'm much of a dreamer, too. I look around me and what I see are mostly long term couples who want kids and have a really hard/long time having them, and on the other hand, I also see lots of teens who are being careless and have repeated abortions, or decide to have a kid anyway and raise them really badly.
    It seems to me that human evolution doesn't care about love, maturity and stability; it cares about genes (that girl's mom got pregnant at 14 by accident and kept the baby, baby grows up gets pregnant at 15; their genes make them extra-fertile!) and about the quantity of toxins in the mother's body (thus, females being able to reproduce younger than ever...).

Looking at that.. I can't help but think, where are we going? Extrapolating a bit makes me wonder if humankind is going to be populated with hillbillies. It's about time that the strong minds of science make a bit of sense in that genetic mess and give the right to reproduce to those who really want to, and deserve to (that also means gay people).

8. RainDreamer

I don't think so. If we reach that point naturally, human will be instead all hermaphrodites, since child birth and the nurturing of the infant require the female body (uterus + wide hips for giving birth, breasts for milk, for example)

But, since we are becoming technological beings with this trend, I would think a technological-controlled evolution would happen, and that could be anything.