1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this common? (Gay Men)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gazza123, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Now I recently started a new job and I made a promise to myself that I would be more sociable and outgoing instead of a outsider/quiet/nobody.

The first two days of induction have gone by great but I have, however, noticed something. Now I don't know if a something is common among gay men or whether its just me being me.

Right. So...

I find it easier talking to the women than the guys for some strange reason. With the guys I find it awkward and don't really know what to say but with the girls I just talk about stuff and its fine which is ironic since I'm gay. Now none of guys are gay from what I can tell and just general behaviour so its not like I fancy them or something.

Is it common or not or is it just me?
    How can I get past this?

2. King

King Guest

It ultimately comes down to the person, not their orientation. Me talking to boys is awful. I'm terrible at it. I have nothing in common with them and it's always forced and uncomfortable and I'm always on guard talking to them.
    Talking to girls, however, is probably the most natural thing I do and I can become besties with a girl a lot easier then I can having one simple conversation with a boy.
    Then again, I like girls a lot more then I like boys, so that might play into it.
    Don't force yourself to talk to them if you aren't comfortable with it. If talking to girls is easier then go for it!

3. Yoderrick

So I had a full page typed and my iPod deleted it so the just was that most gay guys talk to females because they relate to then ezer plus if a chick finds out your gay they will ask youto go shopping some time while a guy would more then Likely freak out

4. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Its weird... Really. I mean I'm not the 'stereotypical' gay guy if that's the right way to put it. I just find it hard having a conversation with a guy. I mean I can do simple stuff like "hi" or "alright" etc etc but beyond that its like... Well now what

5. Yoderrick

Ya Ik wat you mean even tho I am into the same things most str8 guys are into (video games basketball cars etc.) I still can't talk to guys without worrying and giving short one word answers.

6. King

King Guest

I understand. I'm not overly stereotypical but girls are so much easier to talk to. I've tried having conversations with boys at work and it's awkward for all of us. Even at college, I had to do group work with four girls and I was at home - talking to them like we've been friends forever. Then I had to do partner work with a guy... Silence, no eye contact, forced laughter and awkward situation altogether.
    Being stereotypical doesn't really affect who you're more comfortable with. I listen to feminine music and that's about as far as I have in common with some (not even most) females.

7. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I find that it is rather common and a lot easier for us gay guys to befriend and talk to females more. Like you and many others, I'm just really awkward when it comes to talking to guys and I feel a bit intimidated by them.

I've always seen it as being kind of the way heterosexual people are in a very general sense. Typically straight guys and girls have friends of the same sex(which they aren't attracted to and can identify easy with) and find it awkward to talk to the opposite sex. For us as gay men, it can be easy to talk to females since I think we can identify with them a bit on some things and they're typically more open, accepting, and less judgmental than guys. I'm saying all this "in general," of course it's not true for everyone.

8. qboy

I've always been rubbish talking to girls tbh, sod all in common with them (aside from the obvious - and being in the closet means that's off the table), have always got on better with the guys. However that is probably something to do with being an IT Geek - at High School our form was biased about 2:1 male:female, and at college on our course of 60 there were ZERO girls, and at uni on the course on 200 there were a grand total of two girls! Since then I've been in an office of about 70% women (where the only people that like football (US: soccer) are the girls) and still find it easier to talk to the lads (although my department is 9:1 in favour of men!) - well until the subject of girls comes up then I'm completely at a loss.

9. speedracing22

I am into typical guy things, but the reason I have a hard time speaking with guys a lot of the time is that I myself feel weird. My sexuality is just always on the top of my mind, so I feel kind of deceptive...a bit of a liar...just not true to myself. Where as with girls, I feel more relaxed. But hanging out with girls just gets boring to me, since I don't really like "girl" activities. (i.e. I f-ing hate shopping lol)

But I have made friends with guys who share common interests (cars...video games...hanging out...etc) but I still find there to be awkward moments sometimes. I have a couple really close guy friends though where I don't have those awkward moments.

10. Pain

Pain Guest

Not only gay men-- it's a biological adaptation, as far as I know, that it's easier to open up to women in general. I can't remember the location or address of the study, but it was as to why Siri (of the iPhone) has a female voice (in the US).

11. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Guess now you are just a little bit stereotypical :wink:

In all seroiusness, it is beyond common for gay guys. Some might even call it part of the stereotype.

I know other guys used to make fun of me when I was younger because I would get along with girls better than guys. I never understood how that made sense, but you know.

I wouldn't worry about it, though. Just enjoy your friends and enjoy the people who you enjoy hanging out with :slight_smile:

12. qboy

Until I saw your brackets I was thinking - Siri's a Dude! - And here in the UK he is - the guy who does it has a voice used on lots of stuff including the countrys most listened to radio station (BBC Radio 2) and various sat navs - I wonder if there is something different across the pond with voices on that sort of thing?

13. I was trying to think of my REALLY close friends and if I had more girls or guys and the results are in and they are...

Straight down the middle equal girls and guys. Helpful as always.

14. vyvance

I rarely talk to women. Nothing in common with any I know, minus one I play Halo with some.

15. TheUndiscovered

I've always thought it was weird that I don't know what to say to girls because it seems like most gay guys find it easier to talk to girls than guys so ya it'd say its common

16. Praetor

I think the stereotype is that gay guys are supposed to hang out with girls...
    I personally have always found it MUCH easier to hang out with guys. We actually have stuff in common. Not that I don't know any women, but really all my close friends have pretty much been guys.

But it really doesn't matter who you find it easier to be with. Just do what makes you happy!

17. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Though I'm generally uncomfortable with new people in general, I actually want to say I'm somewhat more awkward around women, especially if they're attractive.

It's strange, because I sense that I could be very comfortable talking with women, but I'm just not accustomed to doing so, on top of the fact I don't want to give the impression I'm interested in one if I'm not [damn you social conditioning...]

18. Mogget

I've always found it easier to befriend girls than boys.

19. Kieth11

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have trouble talking to everyone. Seriously, I'm the kind of guy that answers questions, not asks them, and I have a nifty knack for making them as short as possible! I know what that feels like!

I do, however, feel more awkward talking to a guy I think looks handsome / someone I have a crush on, but I believe it's natural. I think it's just you, because some people are just like that, having trouble talking to someone, and I think it's common.

Talk to men more often, it'll probably help eventually. People say that if you do something that scares you, then it makes you feel more "stronger" or something like that. Find a guy you think looks really handsome, and just try to talk to him. Maybe it would help a little.

Don't wait for someone to come to you, do the opposite! Go approach other guys and start a conversation. Even if it's as simple as, "Do you want some help?" it'll make you feel better, probably. Anyway, hope this helps some.

20. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never found it problematic talking to one gender over the other. I find it difficult to talk to people I feel are stand-offish, and maybe I run into more males than females that I get that vibe from. But that's not a good chunk of the people I meet.

Lex