1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Semantics of the words flamboyant/effeminate/feminine

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SFSorrow, Oct 10, 2012.

1. SFSorrow

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/support-advice/71949-would-you-ever-date-someone-flamboyant.html

^This thread has got me thinking; basically, I'm interested in what people understand flamboyant to mean and imply? Do you consider the word to be synonymous with effeminacy? And what's the difference between being feminine and being effeminate, would you think that the latter is normally used in a negative sense? Or is the first a purely descriptive term of typical female behaviours etc. and the second used to describe males who display these mannerisms? Or am I completely off course? And there's flamer too, what does that mean? And then of course there's classic camp.

With this thread I want to avoid any discussion of people's preferences in friends or partners if possible please, I'm purely interested in how people understand these terms.

2. King

King Guest

If implied, I take flamboyant to mean feminine.
    In everyday situations, I take flamboyant to mean boisterous, loud (not necessarily obnoxious), extroverted, and "uppidty" to quote a poster in the other thread.

I've referred to a couple straight guys as flamboyant, and it was taken to mean the latter.
    I've referred to a couple gay guys as flamboyant, and it was taken as the former.

I generally use feminine and effeminate to mean the same, regardless of whether that's right or wrong.

A flamer to me is somebody who is "feminine flamboyant" and obviously gay. I have feminine tastes but I am not a flamer - I know boys who are, though, and those are the people that are usually seen as, and thus the face of, flamboyant.

3. Haley M

Haley M Guest

I think flamboyant is synonymous to somewhere between feminine and masculine.

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I actually think this covers it very nicely.

Most people here take flamboyant as the "stereotypical gay person" which is a bit misleading, but I think that's what most people think when they say flamboyant.

5. Level75

I don't consider flamboyance to be the same as effeminacy or being feminine, since I've met guys that would fit one idea but not the other.

To me, flamboyance is being overly "showy". The guy might not even be necessarily feminine to be like that. Flamboyance is when somebody behaves in a way that is just so extreme, my first thought is to believe it couldn't possibly be the way he really is.

My image of an effeminate man is someone who is slender, light-voiced, and may like a lot of traditionally girly things. Fashion, pop music, shopping, pastel colors, Insta-gramming everything.

Effeminacy doesn't bother me. Actually, most of the effeminate men I know tend to be very demure. But flamboyant people (men or women) would do well to be a tad less annoying.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I understand flamboyant to be a term that applies to gay or bisexual men and that it means the performances of mannerisms traditionally associated with women or feminine behavior in North America or Western Europe.

7. Gen

Gen

^This, completely, utterly, unquivocally. I couldnt have said it better myself.

The part about there being many feminine men who are more reserved seems spot on to me. I, myself, am fairly feminine, but I am very meallow and calm person. Quite outgoing and social amongst people, but if you put me in a room full of others, I am just as content with carrying on with my own business.

Actual femininity(Male or Female) are essentially unnoticeable unless it is something that you actually take the time to consider it. Despite, the fact that my voice is alittle more softer, its not something you would notice just by introducing yourself to me.

8. bubblyhappy

bubblyhappy Guest

omg. you just described the image of me in detail. lol.
    well except instagramming all.

---------- Post added 10th Oct 2012 at 11:20 PM ----------

what about twinks? do they fit in this category?