1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding a boyfriend; tips?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Luke Matt, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Luke Matt

So I'm (hopefully) going on exchange to America/Canada sometime next year (probably second semester, but that's irrelevant) & I'd like to find a boyfriend.

The reason being is that.. Because I live in Australia (and am still currently closeted) I'd prefer it if my family didn't find out right away (I'm still attracted to Aussie guys though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). I'm just wondering if I'll be able to even find a gay guy with similar interests etc (e.g. video games, reasonably masculine, similar music/movie tastes etc) at like, the resident gay clubs on campus, or is that the kind of place where openly effeminate gay congregate? I kind of want to show (or at least hint at) that I'm gay, but I don't want it to be obvious or anything (because I might scare away the right people D:slight_smile:. I'm not remotely flamboyant (not that that's a bad thing) & I'd like to find a guy similar in persona.

I don't meant to stereotype gays (i.e. saying that only openly, effeminate gays congregate at gay clubs), I just don't have much experience (none, actually) in the whole mixing with gay/dating gay people and I'd like some advice :/

- Luke

2. Mogget

Why do you want a boyfriend?

3. Luke Matt

Why? Well, for one, I'd like to share my experiences/real opinions with someone, & I generally have just always wanted a boyfriend. I want the same feeling my friends have felt with having boyfriends/girlfriends for the past 4 - 5 years. :/

4. King

King Guest

I personally think that if you're solely focussed on attracting the "right" type of gay guys, you'll miss out on some really good ones. I know from other posts of yours that you are pretty deep into the type of guy you want - which is fine, you know what you want and you're willing to go after it. But in the process of trying to find these "perfect" guys, you'll be skipping guys who might be perfect for you.

I love pop music. It is my soul and my life and I'm deeply immersed in it - it'd be nice to find someone who loves pop music as much as I do, but what if I meet someone who loves thrash metal? Is it right of me to turn them away? Well, if it matters that much, then I suppose yes, it's alright. But I shouldn't.

Go to GSA meetings, go to places ALL types of gay people go to - go to gay bars if you want, wear a fucking entire rainbow outfit. Showing your gay won't attract the wrong guys - and who's to say your ideal uber-masculine man loves other masculine guys?

Good luck.

5. Luke Matt

I don't want the 'perfect guy'; sorry if I've come across shallow like that. I also don't want an "uber-masculine man", I'd just like someone who has somewhat similar interests (they don't have to be the same; I wouldn't disregard someone on the basis that they like different music) & is somewhat masculine. The only reason I list 'masculine', is because I'm not physically attracted to someone who is openly effeminate (that's not to say I can't be friends/get along with them). They don't have to be the epitome of masculinity, though.

Again, I'm sorry I've come across shallow; that's not what I'm really like.

6. King

King Guest

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that you're shallow. As I said, you have your tastes and that's great because you know what you want - I'm just saying that to meet any gay guys, you need to get out there. Don't be worried about if you're going to a congregation of super womanly gay boys, just try and meet people. Having "gay contacts" can do a lot of good.

Again, I wasn't trying to say you were shallow or bring you down any. I was just trying to get across that you should meet anyone - friends can do a lot of good when it comes to dating.

7. Albannaich

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm glad you posted this as I need some help with this too except I go to university in rural Scotland so there are no gay/bi guys here other than me and Edinburgh is about a 5 hour drive away! But since you will be on a college campus there should be more opportunities to meet all sorts of people than there is here. So if I was you I would meet some new people when I got there just to be good friends with, to go to clubs/bars with and basically just try to make as many new connections as possible and they may know some gay guys they could introduce you too.

8. Retrospect

As someone that has desperately tried to find a boyfriend for the past couple of months, the only tip I can give is that love finds you - you don't find it. Now, this doesn't mean you shouldn't put yourself out there. Go to LGBT youth meetings, make friends with other gay guys. My mom always used to tell me that the best romantic relationships begin as normal friendships.

I guess I should take my own advice.

9. bubblyhappy

bubblyhappy Guest

hey...

I like video games, in fact I'm a hardcore gamer as well and a retrogamer in my spare time. I love scifi movies. but I'm too femme for u and 14 yrs older than u.

Just be yourself sweetie and your gonna find that awesome guy.
    do u have lgbt centers down under.

10. Jonathan

Gay people congregate at gay clubs...at least at mine, there seems to be a decent mix of those who are flamboyant and those who are not. Honestly, if you want to meet someone so bad, I would just say to go to as many LGBT centered things as possible. I would advise, despite what you said, to make your sexuality well known to others. I mean, how can you meet the right person if they do not know they have a chance with you? Also, I wouldn't focus so hard on finding a boyfriend then just socializing with other gay people. If you go to these things with the mindset that you're only there to look for a boyfriend, it can seem rather odd and desperate. Go to events and just socialize normally with people and if you click with someone, then you click. Just let it happen normally and don't try to force it.

11. bubblyhappy

bubblyhappy Guest

I totally agree with Jonathan. my parents told me make lgbt friends first, then you'll find the man of your dreams, just like that. Luke, I met my first boyfriend at my local lgbt center. well he was different alright in a horny way, he eyed me as eyecandy when our eyes met before I can even had a chance to sit and talk to him.

12. Lewis

Don't find a boyfriend, let it happen naturally.

13. honeyboy17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    it can be really hard to 'find' a boyfriend but if u really want to just look around try to understand the boys behavior and 123 pounce!
    (ps i'm moving melbourne when i can)

14. Yoderrick

A boyfriend is hard to find IMO (a real one not someone who just wants to fuck) but if you are going to Canada my friend says its much Easyer up there then in the states (but idk I myself have only had one real BF) but if I had a tip I would just say be yourself and trust me I'm sure you can find a nice guy who likes the same type of music and games you do (Ik 5000 gay people who play video game(&&&)....well maybe a little less lol)

15. bubblyhappy

bubblyhappy Guest

"hookups are just hangups."
    "love only happens if you wish for it to be present for you"

- bubbly happy

Just remember my little poetic quote when looking for prince charming. :wink:

16. Fumi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wearing a rainbow bracelt or something like that might not be a bad idea. From personal experience, I remember that I got a date 10 days after I started wearing mine, and with I guy whom I never would have guessed was gay.

17. Pat

Pat

Hm, I'll try that. lol. My advice was going to be don't look hehe

---------- Post added 13th Oct 2012 at 01:11 AM ----------

Your standards will get you down. Try to come up with deal breakers instead of standards. Preferences are fine as long as you can still think outside of your box some. I try to envision myself with every guy I find attractive. What it might be like.. The truth about masculine men is that.. there's really no such thing. It's a myth. Men have to have someone to be sensitive with. I guess what i'm trying to say is, you're very handsome and with these insecurities you have, it might lead to some hard lessons to learn about gay men because they fit your standards. Come up with deal breakers instead. Like..... you can't smoke. you can't do drugs.. you have to communicate well. These are some of the things that I consider my deal breakers. I have no standards. I have preferences for the types of men that I would LIKE to be with. But it's not a requirement. Spend some time observing men, you'll be all right. And if you come to the US, you'll find plenty of guys with like-interests. Another thing is.. having different interests is good because you will need a break from your partner. You don't want to be the clingy type.. so having different interests sends him on his way to go...golf or something that I hate :dry: lol. While you stay home and do what you like to do. Possibilities are endless.

18. fatalmoon91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    college campuses are full of all sorts of people...its highly likely that by going to places you enjoy you'll find someone with similar interest who is interested in you as well...that being said you still need to be willing to talk to new people (=

19. Olivier

Go to night clubs! There should be heaps of guys there! Haha and don't be so picky when it comes to guys, like I don't think it really matters if u have the same interest in music/movies. I'm just saying sometimes opposites attract, so don't put off everyone too soon:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: good luck!