1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are gay men percieved as being rich or spoiled?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bubblyhappy, Oct 10, 2012.

1. bubblyhappy

bubblyhappy Guest

When I came out to a friend who is a straight girl (very religious), she didn't even ask me about if I went through a phase. She did accept me, but no guy advice because against gods will (her beliefs). Then she said, don't tell me, did you win the lotto that's why you came out. I said, no what do you mean?
    She said most gay men she observes are the Gucci designers who drink martinis at night and have sex with men. I said to her, I'm not like what you mentioned, plus I'm a middle class individual.

Have you ever heard of a person like this before?
    So gay men must be rich and we spend our money on wine charmers.
    I'm gay and I work hard just to keep up with bills. I'm not rich.

:tantrum:

2. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

Yes, I live a lavish life. I wake up at 3:00PM every day, after a bender of sex and drinking with other rich affluent men. I only ingest premium alcohol, filtered over diamonds. I require a staff of 5 fit, beautiful 21 year old men to prep me for my day of socializing, writing, horseback riding, and meeting new potential sex partners.

I drive a different car every day of the week, and on the weekends, I get my driver to take me places, so I can perform fellatio on my man servants in my limo. I also chase every expensive meal of steak and lobster with fudge, made by my personal chef. I eat a lot of fudge.

To keep fit, I visit the gym 3 days a week, and if I don't feel like going, I simply get my 5 man servants to work out for me, and then I fellate them on the weight benches, and in the sauna, and then later in my bed... but I do not let them sleep there.

Your friend is weird.

#2 ArcherySet, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2012
  3. Ticklish Fish

Is she those people who never got out of her city/town/country? lol.

I can't compute that.. lol

Hopefully she realized what she said and um... feel embarassed lol

4. timo

[​IMG]

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is a perception of that because of television, although I am not sure how widely held it is. However, my guess is that sexuality and wealth are independent characteristics, and therefore most gay or multisexual folks are poor or middle class. The distribution should be roughly the same.

6. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well since gay men usually don't have kids and the relationship consists of 2 working(usually) professional men, gays can sometimes be seen as "well off" for the most part, however nothing close to what your friend is describing, lol. As for single gay men, no most of us aren't rich, don't consume martini's every night, and don't have multiple sexual partners or orgies in a given week..... unfortunately. Lol :wink:

7. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Maybe it's in part because some of the ones that are very well-to-do have the "luxury" of being more flamboyantly/visibly out because they're not scared their landlord will evict them, their employer will fire them, etc... She has the cause and effect backwards methinks.

She had one thing right tho, gay men usually have sex with men :icon_wink

(There is however a common thought in the marketing community that gay men as a general demographic have more disposable income, spend more on travel culture entertainment fashion restaurants etc - again, might be only coincidentally true for the more "visible" ones).

8. honeyboy17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i believe that we are because we seem to have a lot of nice things a lot of the time. we are intelligent people and know what we want. we are not afraid to be bright and expensive!!!! GO LGBT!!!!!!!!!!!!! PEACE LOVE AND RAINBO[/COLOR]WS

9. NordicSpirit

Like she said, these are the types of men she sees. She probably doesn't know any gay guys in real life apart from you. She only sees celebs and its fair to say they're well off. Sounds like her opinion is just due to being sheltered from normal, everyday gay guys.

10. Level75

Because the portrayal of gay men on TV is usually that of being very affluent and very successful.

Two of the biggest name gay couples on TV right now are pairs of responsible dads that are family oriented. Another is a teenager who, while still in high school, seems to have a bottomless pit of designer clothes.

Or leaving work and hitting the clubs to find their next one night stand. Clearly, they don't have to spend time worrying about a second job or even just fitting in time to go to the laundromat. Any time not spent at work or the club is probably spent at the gym.

Or Olympic atheletes. Or famous news anchormen.

Probably sells better than a story about a closet gay kid living in a poor neighborhood and getting a bloody nose at school every other day. That would be just too grim.

11. BNQ2012

Yeah, I think it's a television/pop culture trope that she's taking too literally. Rich, fabulous gay men who wear designer gym socks and have nothing better to do all day than booze and engage in constant casual sex are the minority in my circle. I do know gay men of all walks of life. Some do pretty well for themselves, but none are fabulously wealthy on the order that she's thinking. More than a fair share are struggling in fact.

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The gay guys that stick out are the ones that wear ridiculous, overpriced, pretentious clothes, spend $300 on Louis Vuitton wallets, are obsessed with their appearance, and act ridiculously pretentious. The ones that are incredibly insecure and focused mostly or solely on their appearance, and have an attitude that arrives 10 minutes before they do.

So your friend probably has those images sticking in her mind.

But of course... those are the minority. The majority of gay guys are just like the majority of everyone else... ranging from gorgeous to unattractive, fat to skinny, rich to poor, brilliant to well below average intelligence. Why people think that all LGBT people fit into one category when no one else can be so defined is beyond me :slight_smile:

13. Gen

Gen

OBVIOUSLY!!!! Archer and I are the only true gays in here.

Everyone knows that you arent gay unless you have a Louis Vuitton. So of course all of us are rich. The only reason men are straight is because they obviously cant afford them. DUH!!!

And I am so tired of these guys trying to dance up on me with Loui's Kusama Spring Clutch Collections. Like its FALL, Batch!!!!!!!!!!!! No gay would make that mistake. You're Not Gay, You're bisexual.
    OBVIOUSLY!!!!!!!!

14. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Uh-uh! Miss thing went in!

[​IMG]

15. Delta

You are my hero.

16. Emberstone

well, if EC starts a fundrasing drive, I could be percieved as rich.

17. starfish

This thread got me thinking. The only gay stereotype which fits me is that I like to travel. Except I don't like to travel to Paris, or New York, or Miami. While I wouldn't mind visiting those places, I like to visit the mountains, or small towns.

18. bubblyhappy

bubblyhappy Guest

I hate my friends viewpoints. she's very arrogant sometimes. she's one of those bible belt girls.

---------- Post added 11th Oct 2012 at 09:52 PM ----------

believe me I love designer stuff, since I'm an artist anyway, but I cannot afford it. I window shop. lol.
    my friend is wrong. I'm gay and I'm not rich.
    my style is cheapy hipstery.
    to each its own with style and how they spend money.

---------- Post added 11th Oct 2012 at 09:57 PM ----------

true. I wish I can ignore this woman. she normally sees me during my commute to work since. if I ever win the lotto, I will never change who I am or my appearance, I'll pay my debts, student loans, give to charity, retirement. I will still window shop on designer labels since I love who I am at the present moment.

19. Zontar

I'm gay and do above average financially, but you'd be hard pressed to see me name-whoring a $300 Louis Vuitton wallet when that same money could go into new businesses.

20. bubblyhappy

bubblyhappy Guest

Absolutely. totally true.

my friend, she's a total jerk when percieving the lgbt community.