1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Gay/Straight friendships the best?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pat, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Pat

Pat

Just wanted to get some opinions and possibly some stories about your straight friend and how things are going. Do you talk in depth? Are they checking on you? Is it an awkward relationship? Etc. Etc.
    Do you consider a Gay/Straight friendship to be one of the wonders of the world?

#1 Pat, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me, having straight friends is no different than having LGBT friends. I talk with my straight friends about my sexuality just like I do my gay friends. (What I mean is like ohh that girl is cute sort of stuff)

3. Pat

Pat

Interesting! I do tell my straight guy friends when I think a guy is cute, but they can't handle it yet lol.. I think the relationship is great because there's no competition. With gay men at least, there's this competition factor that can get in the way sometimes. A relationship with no sexual tension is just..amazing for me so far.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't consider Gay/Straight friendships to be a wonder of the world. They happen like any other friendship. I have great friendships with straight guys.

One of them is a best friend of mine. We lived together and had our regular social night outs, and there were times, sitting on the kitchen floor, where we talked for more than three hours about what's bothering us or whatever we needed to talk about. Even though he has moved away, and how we communicate has changed, our conversations in terms of length or depth have remained unchanged.

I don't think it is weird if a friend checks in on you, whether straight, or gay, or bi.... In fact, a good friend will do that from time to time. I had and have friends who will check on me. And I do the same too, especially if I haven't heard from them in a while.

5. fleetingwells

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My straight friend (a guy) is a good friend, but I can't help but feel this weird vibe with this guy. I don't know if it's because of the age difference, or the fact that he knows that I'm gay, but he acts very awkward with me. Like he still likes me or something--which he has admitted to before. I don't know, most if not all of my friends are straight, and I've never really had this close connection to them where I could talk to them about everything I possibly can. So I don't know if the whole gay/straight friendships are the best, personally. I guess I probably just suck at making lifelong friends though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#5 fleetingwells, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  6. vyvance

I have no gay friends, so I guess straight/gay friendships are the best for me.

7. Friendly ghost

I agree, when you remove sexual tension, it makes for a great relationship. Its part of the reason its so easy for me to be friends with girls. Even with straight guys, the friendship is still good, but it depends a lot on the guy.

8. Dolphinboy

Ihave wonderful friendships with str8 teens and im gay so it helps to!!

9. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My two long time best friends are str8 guys and happily married. In both cases (mid 20s and mid 40s) they're not really the type to have detailed conversations about what the girlfriend did to them last night etc..., so since I've been out to them those types of conversations haven't happened any more or less than before, there hasn't been any awkwardness on that level. I don't think things have really changed much actually. It's been a bit less awkward than with gay friends actually.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The majority of my friends are gay, but I have a number of straight friends as well. The straight friends are very comfortable and not grossed out by any talk of gay stuff (as long as we aren't *too* graphic or explicit) and honestly aren't any different than my gay friends. The straight friends have also gotten used to being in the minority in my circle of friends, and once in a while one will jokingly say "Please. We are in mixed company" if we "gay it up" too much... but more for laughs than anything else.

Also, I understand this is somewhat unusual, but among my gay friends, there's no sense of competition, or sexualizing anything, or whatever... we all just get along.

While in some ways I probably get along with gay guys slightly better, just because our humor and culture is a little more compatible... honestly, there isn't a lot of difference.

11. Eleanor Rigby

Well, my best friend is gay and, to me, our friendship is one of the wonders of the world :slight_smile: But this is not because he is gay that we are friends, he just happens to be gay. I love him for that only and simple reason that it's him. Nothing explains it better than this quote from Montaigne : If you press me to say why I loved him, I feel that it cannot be expressed except by replying: ‘Because it was him: because it was me.’

Take care, Cécile

12. Colours

I don't have any gay friends. I have two friends who are bisexual as well, but I don't see them often... I do like to hang out with them, they just feel like really open-minded people. Other than that, I have no gay friends living close by. My ex-boyfriend/'friend' is an exception though, but things with him are so complicated I shouldn't even mention him.

13. AlexisAnne

The majority of my friends are straight. One of my best friends is gay, and another is bi. If I'm being honest there's really not much difference in time between the friendships. I talk about many of the same things regardless of who I'm talking to. Mostly I have one thing on my mind right now, my gender identity, and that's kind of been dominating my end of mist conversations. I'll talk about pretty much everything with any of them though; normal life issues, anything on my mind, and romantic interests (few and far between) regardless of their gender.

One or two of my straight friends were a little uncomfortable with that last one, but they eventually came around. :slight_smile: its natural to check in in people you care about as well. I check in in them and they me. So overall I don't notice much difference.

14. itsjoanna

I have gay friends but we aren't close, and I'm not out to everyone.
    My best friend, who is a female, knows I am gay and everything is still normal. I don't find anything awkward, she's really comfortable when I tell her who I like and stuff. I talk to her about almost anything. No, I don't like her in a relationship way, and I hope I never will. Things would just get awkward from there haha

15. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in a big group of friends (around 15 people) and we're all really close and have known each other for years. A few of us, like 3 people, are LGBT in some sort of way (including me), and the rest of us are straight. Our differences has never made our friendships awkward or weird and I don't think it would be any different if we were all straight.

16. smprob

I think it depends on that friend, not that if s/he is gay or straight. I don't have gay friends who have come out to me so far. So I don't know if there's any, and so all my friends seem to be straight.
    I always check on my close friends if they had any difficult times beforehand or had not contacted me in a while to see whether they are doing OK. They also do that time to time. I think that's normal.
    We always open up in depth when we discuss anything, within our comfort zones I guess. Also I don't have to compete with any of my friends so I don't know about sexual tension. I don't think having gay friends would make any difference in friendships for me.
    Friendships can become awkward if we don't like to accept or respect each others true personalities, in spite of our orientations. Only one of my close friends seem to be not open minded about LGBTQ. And it could become so if she continue to do so even after she'd know about me as she's terrible in it. Otherwise I don't see how it can happen with anyone as we already have close friendships.

17. Level75

My best friend is a straight guy, actually. We do have the benefit of history and time passing though since we've been friends for about 12 years now. Only in the last 2 did he really know I was gay, so not sure how it would've turned out if he knew much earlier. And it is unlikely I will ever make any other friendships that will match it. It just isn't as easy as an adult. Still, I'm a lot more comfortable with being gay now because he was so supportive when I came out to him.

So I would say having supportive straight friends is great. It's a little sad, because as was mentioned in the Allies thread, we really shouldn't feel so good about others for simply doing the right thing. But then, doing the right thing in this world is often hard and you do risk disapproval from associating with LGBT people, not to speak of being LGBT yourself.

Right now, most of the non-family members I interact with most are mostly gay. I've become pretty close to that LGBT board game group I have mentioned. It meets at a gay bar and 2 of the couples in it are actually straight couples. It's very refreshing seeing 2 straight guys being very comfortable being in a gay bar. Being friends with straight people does give me hope that the rest of the world can get passed homophobia...

...eventually, anyway.

18. Kidd

Kidd Guest

My best friend is a booby straight girl and our friendship is the best ever. We're basically a couple, without the sex. We always call each other Love, we cuddle, etc. We're sidekicks and we literally do everything together and it's been that way since we were in high school, and we're seniors in college now.

Honestly, it's really hard for me to be friends with other gay guys. I feel like friendships with them become really, really competitive and passive-aggressive really quickly. Or they turn into drama. So I just try to keep them at a distance. I know plenty of gay guys as acquaintances, but I would never turn to one of them and ask for advice or for a shoulder to cry on. I get along with lesbians really, really well though. I have lesbian friends in spades.

All of my friends are supportive, by the way, obviously. I wouldn't be their friend otherwise.

#18 Kidd, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2012
  19. aeva

I don't really have any gay friends (one or two peripherally), so I wouldn't know what to compare it to, but my straight friends (almost all guys) are all amazing. We're all incredibly open with each other, and they are very supportive and encouraging. While a few of them are attracted to me (and have told me so), they are absolutely respectful of my sexuality and would never try to get me to do anything with them. My best friend of 14 years is a straight girl, and she has been amazing. She comes to pride with me, points out cute girls, cuddles with me when I'm lonely, texts me every day, even though we are apart for school.

I'm a REALLY open person, so it's hard for anything to feel awkward to me. I welcome those questions that my straight friends have that they've always been burning to ask, and I think it helps them understand my life a little bit more.

I would like a few more LGBT friendships, but I think a girlfriend would be more than enough.

20. silentdr3am3r

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have very few gay friends. Most of my friends are male, but only a few of them, I would say the closest of my friends know that I'm not straight. I think when it comes to interests, it doesn't matter whether or not someone is gay. My two closest male friends are both straight and it's pretty awesome to have them be able to talk to me about anything. I try not to blurt it out so much when I think a guy is hot, but in the cases that I do, they don't blink a second before egging me on to chase the said hot guy. Sometimes they're great ways to find out if other people are gay without having to make direct contact. If I find someone interesting and I don't know whether or not they're gay, my guy friends will find out if they have girlfriends for me. Even though it's a bit awkward for them, I can still feel them feeling disappointed for me when they bring me news that the other person is straight or taken. I love them for that though.

But otherwise, it's just like any other friendships. I think when it gets down it, being a good friend surpasses beyond any differences that would keep strangers apart, whether it be sexual orientation, gender, religion, race, etc. Sure, I may have some attraction to some of my guy friends, but as long as you have a clear boundary that it's a platonic relationship, straight guys will put down their walls emotionally to you as they would with any male friends.