1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Positively influencing others by coming out

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by FishMan27, Oct 14, 2012.

1. FishMan27

OK, so I have been thinking a lot about coming out at school. I feel like I'm almost ready, and I just don't want to hide it anymore. That's the biggest reason is that I don't want to hide it anymore, but part of it is also because I hope by coming out I can help change people's ideas about gay people.

I am a well respected member of my community. I'm very active in sports, music, and academics, and I'm seen as a leader in pretty much everything I do. I'm pretty masculine, and I'm sure it would come as a shock to people to hear I'm gay. That's partly why I want to come out.

I have heard from several friends that their ideas of gay people changed after so-and-so came out to them, and I want to be that person. The town I live in doesn't have very many openly gay people, and it's hard to find a good role model. I want to be that guy.

I want to show people that not all gays are stereotypical, and we are human! Does anybody have any advice, or have you been through this kind of situation and seen people's perception change thanks to your bravery?

2. SkyDiver

Your thoughts echo mine when I was considering whether to come out or not!

Changing someone's heart is one of the coolest things that you can experience. Bringing someone from darkness to compassion and enlightenment. I changed quite a few people, and even though coming out was hard, it is something I will NEVER regret!

Also, think of how many other closeted gay kids there are in your community. The ones who are ashamed of themselves, who think that they're alone, who feel that they have no hope. Coming out helps those kids more than we could possibly imagine. I've been told that I'm the first openly gay kid at my school, but I would've loved it if someone had taken the steps before me.

I wish you the best of luck!!

3. Lewis

I sometimes think the same, because I'm pretty sure that some of my friends are gay and just really fear coming out. So I believe that if I did, it could help them to also. Problem is, I'm just as scared!