1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What you like and dislike about being sexual orientation/gender identity

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wonderingdave01, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Whether your gay/bi/trans/pansexual or whatever....

What are the pros and cons of being gay/bi/trans/pansexual/whatever....

I'm bisexual

Love: More than one option, It feels good. A lot of Men and Women are really attractive, lots of LGBT people are awesome, there are lot of cool Bisexual singers (Frank Ocean, Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day etc.)

Hate: Discrimination/bigoted/ignorant attitudes towards Bisexual and other LGBT people, internalized conflict between my bisexual self and my Catholic self, also when I have straight crushes :tears:

2. Pat

Pat

Well, that it's not "normal" but that's also something that I DO like about being gay, is the fact that i'm "different" or "special" in my view. I always knew there was something special about me, and my friends saw it also because there's nothing particularly standing out about me. I just think I give a vibe that i'm a non judgmental, friendly kinda guy. They cherish me and I cherish them. The other thing i don't like is how promiscuous some gay men are. Shit, sometimes I just wanna flirt, it doesn't mean I want to bang you in my car all of a sudden. One other thing I like is that I get to see what straight women see in men, why they even want to be bothered. It's quite an accomplishment to dig through all of that surface and get to the core of a boy.

3. Rarar

I like that there's less to conform to. Society has the obvious stereotypes, but you're not judged if you don't follow them. Straight guys, however, have a lot to live up to - if they're slightly feminine, society says they're gay, for example.

4. jaysuss

Being Gay
    pros: Whenever on a sport team thats all you get to see xD!
    Cons: Hard to accept yourself in a religious setting. People dislike you because they think its a choice.

5. FollowtheFreeman

Pros:
    *I don't care if you're a man, woman, transexual or transgender person. If I like you, it doesn't matter to me what you have or what you consider yourself.
    *Sex doesn't take up my life.

Cons:
    *People don't know what pansexuality or asexuality is.
    *A lot of people don't even believe my sexuality exists.
    *Some people just will say that I'm lying.
    People assume that I'm just going to cheat on them so they don't want to be in a relationship.
    *Etc... (too much to put down)

6. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had to be pretty introspective and get to know myself on a deeper level than I would have done if I was straight, simply because I've done all this pondering about who I am and whether this is me. I've been able to make a difference to people who are struggling with their sexuality. I've met some amazing people who I'd never have known otherwise.

The negatives would be the social isolation at high school, the fear of being hurt, the knowledge that there are so many people who see me as a second-class citizen, and the fact that 90%+ of the people I'm attracted to won't be attracted to my gender.

7. Caudex

Caudex Guest

I don't think it makes you special; it's not an accomplishment. But I guess it does provide uniqueness.
    Pros for me: I'm not racist or homophobic like the rest of my family is and I would be if it weren't for me being gay.
    It has made me less physical so I'll go to college instead of playing high school football and having that be the prime of my life.
    Cons: I still feel really stupid going cray cray for doods. I don't know.
    All the expected stuff.

8. We Bisexuals go through the same thing. :frowning2:

9. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hate about liking guys:
    - Feels wrong.
    - Makes me feel like another person.
    - People's assumptions/stereotypes
    - Possibly not ending up with a wife.
    - Possibly not ending up having kids of my own.
    - Constant fear of my parents finding out.
    - everything else I forgot

Like about liking guys:
    - Having my boyfriend.

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like being attracted to men, women and trans people because I feel it gives me a better idea of how other people are oppressed. (Being white, male, and having class privilege doesn't give me too many ways to have any firsthand knowledge.)

What I dislike is the privileging of monosexuality and the terrible things that only people in the gay community say, like "I don't wanna date someone bi, because he'd just leave me for a girl."

11. Valarie

Valarie Guest

well
    i just dont like the black and white version of either
    always a scale

orientation is good so other people can understand what you like, but straight and gay only work for a black/white gender scale

I just hate gender and all the things that get grouped with it (might have a bit of a bias, since i hate mine so much)

well i guess dont like any stereotyping for either though

12. bubblyhappy

bubblyhappy Guest

is people use the word "gay" in a bad way in everyday conversation which has nothing to do with lgbt. What they meant was the word: Lame.

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Which is ableist.

14. bubblyhappy

bubblyhappy Guest

I hate it when I hear immature people esp kids call a person gay which is really they meant suck. I hear this a lot too in the video game industry, I'm a hardcore gamer as well. I hear reviewers or people say, this game sucks, its "gay", but nothing to do with lgbt. The video game industry is a hyper masculine market, dominated by straight men same as sports. The casual market is changing that too. but anyway, when my former straight guy friend plays halo and loses he screams "fuckin gay a.." I get sliently offended.

15. GirlNextDoor

GirlNextDoor Guest

I like:
    Feeling more relaxed after figuring out I was gender fluid... I didn't realize it at first, and felt uncomfortable all the time...
    ... But now, I've figured things out, so yay. :3

I dislike:
    Feeling awkward around my female friends. As soon as they figured me out, they kept saying things like, "Are you flirting with me?"
    This is just... no.

16. rx79g

-I don't feel like I have to act masculne just because I'm a guy (which sometimes causes awkward questions to be asked because I'm not out to a lot of people)
    -I understand minority issues a bit better
    -I love making inside jokes with my friends I'm out to when I'm with large groups (I almost died laughing when my friends were saying I poofed a lot when we were playing a videogame where when you died you poofed up in smoke. None of them knew that poof can refer to a gay person, even though it's not a flattering term.

Dislikes:
    -Not being out really hurts sometimes, and being afraid of being out makes it worse.
    -Feelng like there are too few gay people out there to meet someone special.
    -Feeling personally insulted whenever people call something gay or make fun of someone by calling them gay.
    -Very conservative Christians, I disliked them but now they dislike me back.

17. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pros:
    *There's alot of friends I've met who are better friends that also identify as LGBT
    *I've gained a world of understanding about all this stuff.

Cons:
    *It's all confusing as hell
    *Bigots.
    *Transgender isn't as well-known, but it should be.

18. PurpleCrab

Being a transgender bisexual guy;

I like:
    -The feel that I have worlds to explore, sexuality-wise, and endless potential
    -That I can take off my penis and go without it whenever I want, ha!
    -That I can switch my penis according to my lover's wants
    -That I was naturally forced to open mindedness
    -That I had the opportunity to bed lesbians. Yes, say it, shame on me.
    -All in all I love being me.

Dislikes:
    -The dysphoria
    -The judgements and hate from family, friends, and LGBT people
    -The prejudices
    -The tough acceptance of who I am by myself and by others
    -....the long term effects of all of the above on my and my wife's health, and on our kids

19. Markio

I'm gay. I like how the increased adversity forced me to develop my emotional maturity. I dislike how ignorant I've found people to be regarding LGBT issues... although I "like" that I am made more aware by being a minority?

20. redstormrising

like: never having to worry about accidentally getting pregnant!

dislike: not being able to have a child that is biologically both mine and my partner's